Skip to main content

Topic: The other mechanical wonder my 88 Trooper (Read 776 times) previous topic - next topic

The other mechanical wonder my 88 Trooper
So heres my Isuzu trooper a 88 with 2.6 straight 4 and auto trans. Buried in the roadside, so to help this issue i decided to go whole hog and add a winch  a 8 k Champion i got for 200$ cdn still sealed in the box it came in . i had to remove the bumper to see what I had to start with.
Once i got that off i saw if i took some 2 " 3/16 tube i could bolt/ weld it into the frame rails. once i figured that out i had to drill the holes for the bolts grade 8 1/2 " 2 per side and will be adding some welding to the extended frame rails to back them up.
Once i got that part figured out i cut some holes into the stock bumper to allow it to slide over the extended mounts. Over the extensions i have got some           2  1/2"-  3/16 tubing that slides over the 2 " to this I will weld the base plate for the winch once I ensure it slides off this will allow me to remove it when im not going anywhere near the bush.

Re: The other mechanical wonder my 88 Trooper
Reply #1
so heres the roughed out mounting  [lol]

Reply #2
And just what is going to sit on that thar plate? 
Get a new winch? 
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

Reply #3
 [thumbsup] yes I picked up of craigslist a BNIB Champion 8 k for 200$ great deal for a guy on a pension  [lol] . i will be done it today once i drag my sorry butt outside to finish the last few holes , which will be easier as i now have my corded drill back ! ;D  A friend was using it on a money making job and his went out to lunch. So being a outstanding guy i am i lent him mine ...

Reply #4
finished it off... got to find a sharp cone bit so i can drill the pin holes to 5/8 so i can put standard pins in it to allow ease of removal 

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Reply #5
"to allow ease of removal"

Whaaa you gonna build a mount for the rear??? [idea]
Constitutional Carry for NC & SC!
         Because bearing arms is not, and should not be a privilege.
   Permits are privileges, and can be granted and taken by Government.
                           Let's Secure Concealed Carry as a Right!

Reply #6
Yes, that and to allow it to be put on the Weasel . I realize its more weight on the front end but I also will be going with a set of CJ springs as I proved the small winch i have on the zuk doesnt have the power I require . I am the lightweight of the vehicle i go out with in either of my 2 machines .theres a suburban a full sized explorer 1/2 tons etc . the main issue will be extending the cables to power it that will take a few $$$. I will also have to upgrade the battery  along with i hope I can do a alternator upgrade ala GM one wire mod like on the suzuki [approve]
  • Last Edit: Thursday, Jan 14, 2016, 10:46 AM by Diesel_Weasel

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Reply #7
Pick up a set of (or dig them out of your own stock) an old set of jumper cables for donor wire.
Constitutional Carry for NC & SC!
         Because bearing arms is not, and should not be a privilege.
   Permits are privileges, and can be granted and taken by Government.
                           Let's Secure Concealed Carry as a Right!

Reply #8
Thats what i've been thinking . but first i have to tear apart my old rear bumper. this will allow access to see the frame rails and then i can build plan . as Hannibal Smith says I love it when a plan comes together. [thumbsup]   

Reply #9
So I have done the O2 sensor on my 88 Isuzu with 2.6. I ended up hacking a wrench so I could remove and install the thing. had to find the cheapest 7/8" wrench in my collection and then went to town with a grinder. I hate doing this to perfectly useable tools but it was the only way to get the job :roll: done. Being a hamfisted civy now with the spare part in hand thats how i solved the one coming out. well actually i leaned in grabbed the wire and pulled :shock: with that done i could easily get the socket on it for removal.From there it was easy with the wrench in hand. plugged it in and the O2 light did not come on . Not that it was on anyway.Just trying to eliminate possibilities. Next its the water temp sensor in the hard to reach spot under the ITECH box and manifold

Reply #10
So yesterday I started in on the rear bumper / tow point .I discovered the stock bumper is multi piece bolted together, SWEEET !!! [thumbsup] That makes his much easier to do . First i lubed everything with WD40 penetrating oil. let it sit a while then went to town with the impact wrench. I have since replaced undersized and missing bolts to make this much more solid

Reply #11
Ive done both sides and done some measurements and now have to come up with a plan .. maybe a "plan sooo cunning it should have ears as it could be called  a weasel." today its raining  so no work today I hate being soaked rolling around under a cold vehicle. 
I have replaced all mount location bolts with grade 8   1/2 inch bolts. when it warms up I will open this up again and weld them into location making the mounting studs permanent as they are in a good healthy area to attach anything to 

Reply #12

Ive done both sides and done some measurements and now have to come up with a plan .. maybe a "plan sooo cunning it should have ears as it could be called  a weasel." today its raining  so no work today I hate being soaked rolling around under a cold vehicle.
I have replaced all mount location bolts with grade 8   1/2 inch bolts. when it warms up I will open this up again and weld them into location making the mounting studs permanent as they are in a good healthy area to attach anything to

I hear you on the rain.......got rain warnings in effect here, and I also am too old for working on my back in the mucko, under a vehicle. 
Fabbing a bumper on that nice, expansive rear surface looks like a breeze. 
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

Reply #13
I'm trying to do it with future needs built into it ??? . A simple design that i can add to 8) . I'm thinking a simple 4 inch 1/4"thick angle. with mounting plates to it . I also will be planning on the winch from the front to be able to mount here also. So its taking some forethought and ingenuity . I'd rather take my time right now rather then like in the past rushing into it and having to redo it later.  Stuff like a step mount, to tow  / extraction points, hitch mount, {so I can drag my weasel around} .

Reply #14
Today I went out and purchased my base material 50" of 4" angle at 1/4" thick ...AND it starts snowing :o
  • Last Edit: Friday, Jan 29, 2016, 05:06 PM by Diesel_Weasel

• Yellow55
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #15
I had an 86 2 door trooper and kind miss it. It was nice to be able to fit 4 adults. 
Work as though everything depended on you

Reply #16
Theres an "Dodge " / isuzu raider around the corner from me thats in great shape its a SWB 2 door with a baby 6 in it  man i have a case of desire for it LOL [thumbsup]

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #17
You aren't messing around with this mount!  This should be good.   8)
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Reply #18
Hey Bee isn't the saying "go big or go home ?" Well im already home SOOO I guess its a big build. I"ve started cutting metal now. [thumbsup]

Reply #19
so I did a little bit this AM and this is what i have so far.the welds will be backed up by more angle iron. yes it is straight , my cuts are not. [idea]  [lol]
the shop where i get my nuts bolts , my dealer {LOL} says to me the amount of these you should buy a stand to hold them . I replied well im driving the "STAND" 8)