Skip to main content

Topic: Wiring Guru Needed (Read 360 times) previous topic - next topic

Wiring Guru Needed
Any reason why the wiring diagram I drew up wouldnt work?

I used the factory wiring diagram as a reference but I excluded the lights. I also wanted 1 switch to controll both seats.

The seats are not working and I am wondering if it has to do with my wiring. I can hear the relay switching when the ignition turns on. If the diagram checks out I will have to get a multimeter out and figure out how to use it lol

• Oscello
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Wiring Guru Needed
Reply #1
I'm not a guru but do you have a part number or datasheet for the switch? I see power coming in on pin 3 but I'm not sure how it gets transferred to the 4 positions that power the heaters.
  • Last Edit: Monday, Dec 07, 2015, 02:08 PM by Oscello

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • ...if you weren't here, where would you be?
Reply #2
your diagram has right/left hi/low crossed...

...what the hell you lookin' down here for?

Reply #3
I thought 6 pin switches typically powered the left side when up and right side when down. So when the switch is up, both seats highs would be on. And when switched down, both seats lows would be on. 

For power to pin 4 on the switch I am just jumping power from pin 3.

• Oscello
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
Not all 6 pin switches are the same. You need a DPDT switch(on/off/on). Like ecoast said pins 1&2 should be R&L low and 5&6 should be R&L high. The heaters should still work but they wont be on the same setting.

Reply #5
I will wire it up as you said and see if it works. Thanks! I suppose I did not need a guru after all xD

Reply #6
Well, I wired it up properly and still nothing. I can hear the relay switch when the ignition is turned on so that means it is getting power. Must be a problem with the seat.

My seat wire colors are different than the Mitchell repair diagram shows. I have brown, yellow and white. I had assumed that brown would be ground but maybe I am wrong. How do I test these wires with a multimeter to find ground? I assume that the wire with the most resistance is going to be the low heat setting. Correct? And how would I tell if the seat  heat pad has a break in the wire somewhere that would keep it from working?

All help is appreciated :)

• Bad goat
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
I know this is old and you probably already have this figured out but....

Measure
Brown to yellow ____ohms
Yellow to white _____ohms
White to brown ____ohms
If any of those are open, really high restsnance, then something is wrong.
Highest reading between pairs should be your heaters, the other wire is the common connection.
Lowest reading between common and heater is your high setting.
  • Last Edit: Thursday, Jun 09, 2016, 01:36 PM by Bad goat