Skip to main content

Topic: 1.3 mechanical fuel pump problem  (Read 663 times) previous topic - next topic

• zukfari
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • SM4x4ZC (Safety First)
1.3 mechanical fuel pump problem
Old one does not pick up. I bought a new one from Spectra Fuel Pump  

Order Total:   $59.88

( autopartswarehouse.com ) and a test and it does not pick up.

wanted a working fuel pump cheap for I am out 60 buck all ready.

Please help 24245 zip. What am I doing wrong. I did keep the old gasket on and placed the new gasket over it could that have moved the pump to far back? Runs if prime the carb. but stops right after. Or tell me what is need for the electric swap, electric low pressure pump, block off plate is a regulator needed?
  • Last Edit: Sunday, Jun 14, 2015, 08:14 PM by zukfari
ZUKFARI

• ack
  • [*][*][*]
Re: 1.3 mechanical fuel pump problem
Reply #1
Firstly - did you recently replace the camshaft?  If you do not specify a camshaft for an '88 or earlier Samurai, it will not have the fuel pump lobe that drives the pushrod that makes the pump work.  Newer Samurais equipped with throttle body injection have a different camshaft that is missing the mechanical fuel pump lobe.  No lobe - no pumping action.

Is the pushrod pin missing?  There is a pin that fits in a hole behind the mechanical fuel pump.  One end is in contact with the cam pump lobe and the other end rests against the pump lever on the fuel pump.  No pushrod pin? no pumpingofthefuel....

The mechanical pump may be having a hard time priming itself. 
1. Disconnect the output line on the pump.
B. wrap an old rag around a air blowing tool (the kind that, when the trigger is pressed, it shoots out high pressure air to blow dirt away) and jam it in your fuel filler hole.
III. Have someone watch the output fuel line (see 1, above) while someone else turns over the engine while you pressurize the fuel tank.  If the fuel pump is being driven by the cam lobe, the fuel line should pressurize and fuel will start squirting out of the fuel hose in the engine compartment.  The person watching the fuel line should say something like "Thar she blows!"  to signal you and the driver  to stop so you don't squirt fuel all over the insides of the engine compartment. 

Finally, the mechanical fuel pump's pump lever should be handled with a certain amount of reverence.  Applying violent - or even semi-violent - pressure to it can cause the pump diaphragm to perforate.  This is a SERIOUSLY "Not Good" condition.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88 Samurai tintop, '14 Ford Transit Connect. />Ack's FAQ - nearly 600 searchable links to Suzuki SJ, LJ,  Escudo/Vitara/Sidekick/Vitara and Jimny information!

• zukfari
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • SM4x4ZC (Safety First)
Reply #2
I did test the new pump like u said with help. Still did not work. The old pump worked good till I ran the tank dry. I ran the pick tube in a gas can and unplug it to the carb and had some one watch it still no gas... I give up... So I have looked it up and I think I will install an electrical fuel pump and cap the port with a block off and remove the pin. New EFP and a jeep filter to reduce pressure like I read on Post here. http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,113507.0.html
  • Last Edit: Monday, Jun 15, 2015, 04:05 AM by zukfari
ZUKFARI

• ack
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Did you pressurize the tank when you tested the pump?  That lil' pump is trying to suck 10 feet of air - which can make it hard for any kind of fuel pump to pull fuel from the tank!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88 Samurai tintop, '14 Ford Transit Connect. />Ack's FAQ - nearly 600 searchable links to Suzuki SJ, LJ,  Escudo/Vitara/Sidekick/Vitara and Jimny information!

• zukfari
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • SM4x4ZC (Safety First)
Reply #4
I primed the lines back to the filter by pinching it off and filled the line at the engine. What amp fuse should I use on Carter P74029 Electric Fuel Pump?
ZUKFARI

• ack
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5

I primed the lines back to the filter by pinching it off and filled the line at the engine. What amp fuse should I use on Carter P74029 Electric Fuel Pump?

Not know.

I would look at the packaging or, if no electrical data is provided, contact Carter directly and explain what you are doing.
Ack

• zukfari
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • SM4x4ZC (Safety First)
Reply #6
Update: after burning through two Carter small diaphragm pumps. I pulled my tank and fixed the fuel sending unit in the tank. The float rod was not making contact on the sensor. Then I put on a Carter 4070 high performance pump. Did all the wiring, plumbing including a Zuk fuel behind the pump and a Jeep fuel filter with a return. And last a Mr gasket fuel regulator. Set on 2, 1/2 Works great and doesn't stall on incline. And the fuel gauge works right again.

• Last Edit: Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016, 01:30 PM by zukfari
ZUKFARI

• zukfari
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • SM4x4ZC (Safety First)
Reply #7
Firstly - did you recently replace the camshaft?  If you do not specify a camshaft for an '88 or earlier Samurai, it will not have the fuel pump lobe that drives the pushrod that makes the pump work.  Newer Samurais equipped with throttle body injection have a different camshaft that is missing the mechanical fuel pump lobe.  No lobe - no pumping action.

Is the pushrod pin missing?  There is a pin that fits in a hole behind the mechanical fuel pump.  One end is in contact with the cam pump lobe and the other end rests against the pump lever on the fuel pump.  No pushrod pin? no pumpingofthefuel....

The mechanical pump may be having a hard time priming itself. 
1. Disconnect the output line on the pump.
B. wrap an old rag around a air blowing tool (the kind that, when the trigger is pressed, it shoots out high pressure air to blow dirt away) and jam it in your fuel filler hole.
III. Have someone watch the output fuel line (see 1, above) while someone else turns over the engine while you pressurize the fuel tank.  If the fuel pump is being driven by the cam lobe, the fuel line should pressurize and fuel will start squirting out of the fuel hose in the engine compartment.  The person watching the fuel line should say something like "Thar she blows!"  to signal you and the driver  to stop so you don't squirt fuel all over the insides of the engine compartment. 

Finally, the mechanical fuel pump's pump lever should be handled with a certain amount of reverence.  Applying violent - or even semi-violent - pressure to it can cause the pump diaphragm to perforate.  This is a SERIOUSLY "Not Good" condition.

I hope that this helps!
This was a new create engine. The problem is old thirty year old mechical pumps setting on shelves with rotted diaphragm. So I blocked it off an installed a electrical pump.
ZUKFARI