Skip to main content

Topic: New (to me) Tow Pig (Read 2470 times) previous topic - next topic

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
New (to me) Tow Pig
Well I finally broke down in the samurai for the last time. An hour a way from home and I blew an alternator and something went haywire in the electrical system. So Ive had enough long distance samurai drive, and I found a smoking deal on a dually.  [thumbsup]

96 cummins with a 5speed!!!
It was really cheap so I figure I can fix it and paint it for less than most trucks cost. Spent all day cleaning and fixing little stuff. Like the radio would stay on, and the trailer wiring. But anyways, I thought I'd post something of a build thread on it. Seeing how I didn't do any for the beater.  [black_s]

Also like to point out that this weighed more that 2 fully loaded samis full of tools and parts along with a bed full of tires.
  • Last Edit: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 11:11 AM by bad zuki
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Re: New (to me) Tow Pig
Reply #1
Having a tow rig is the only way to go.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jtaj77

Reply #2
12 valves are the sex! My brothers is around 650hp, but he has 15k into the motor and trans alone, and it keeps blowing head gaskets lol.

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #3
I've been in diesels for a long time, its just they cost too much to buy them. Like why I could only get a 2wd truck. Lol.  This one had all the towing mods done. Marine injectors, older f550 5.9 Cummins turbo. (Little bigger housing),  5th gear nut is fixed, and even has a newer box on it with a 4 inch turbo back.  I have a set of gauges on the way, but in the mean time those funky looking rims had to go. Spent Sunday getting them media blasted and painted. Finally put them on just before the rain hits. That reminds me. I still need to take my bolts out and retorque them in oil. Before I go towing this summer. I'll keep pictures coming on this for a while. Then off to the buggy.
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #4
Finally some parts I ordered came in.  A 3 piece combo 2400 EGT, 60 LBS boost, and Fuel pressure, From Glowshift.

Not really cheap, just really nice having for towing loooong hills.

Fixed all the lights on the truck last night. Tonight will be parking brake, replace inner axle seal, and just check it out on the lift.

Got a really great deal through Sean Divinney,  As soon as I can, I will have an aluminum flatbed on this thing, and it will be modified so I can put the buggy or sami on the back.

I've got some air bags, I will probably put under it when I remove the bed, with latter bars to keep those wheels planted.  They spin too easy  ;D

WG [black_s]
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 01:22 PM by bad zuki

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #5
Win /lose situation happened today, Found out my hydro boost was leaking, so I ordered a rebuild kit for it, and I will replace it when I pull the intake horn and exhaust manifold, just to make it easier to work on.   ;D

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #6

Win /lose situation happened today, Found out my hydro boost was leaking, so I ordered a rebuild kit for it, and I will replace it when I pull the intake horn and exhaust manifold, just to make it easier to work on.   ;D
I had to replace mine too.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #7
I Dont see who ever one of these ricer diesel guys in the area afford to build these trucks like they do. Its just getting pricey. And 3 out of 4 ball joints are bad..... :( 
Might be a while till buggy funds get bad to normal

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #8
I never really liked spam.   :P

• recon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
It seems Dodge trucks to like to eat ball joints... regularly.     This isn't new so I can't help but wonder why Dodge hasn't tackled this problem? 
2002 Tracker with a  2 Liter and 5 spd... it works for me.

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #10
It must have been a standard part quality issue. Not to mention that all that Cummins sits on 4 tiny little joints.

Update on dodge. Had to replace the the abs controller. It was locking up the trailer brakes every time I turn around.  Also averages about 20 even stomping on it  [thumbsup]

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #11
20?  That certainly isn't disappointing.  8)
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• recon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
It would be wonderful IF we could have more of the diesel equipped small truck vehicles HERE in the United States that are normally imported and sold elsewhere in the world.  There's a huge market for small diesel trucks here.
2002 Tracker with a  2 Liter and 5 spd... it works for me.

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #13
Yeah. Brazil has small 4 door Toyotas with deisel engines.  You have no idea how hard it was for me not to take one of those blocks home in my carry on.  
Update.  Dodge doing great. Got 18.3 on the last tank. Towed 3 vehicles.   Estimating that I was going to get 20, but had alot more heavy stuff to pull

Got the old yeller to the new shop. I forgot how heavy that truck is. Took all I had to crank it up on the trailer.   

Putting guages on it Tuesday.   [black_s]

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #14
Haul many donuts it will.  [thumbsup]

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #15
Haul the mail, it does.   ;D

Egt and psi gauge hooked up today. Didn't realize I could hit 35 psi round town.    :o. Fuel gauge is next.  Also found a nice spot for the pod. Right in the middle of the dash where there is a huge hole.  :\\\'(
Averaged 17.57 last tank. Including hauling this sack of potatoes to the shop.  That thing was heavier that the tj on 35s in that box trailer. Gonna try and get some new tires soon. But I'll run these till I get pulled over. And change them then.  [thumbsup]

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #16

Haul the mail, it does.   ;D

Egt and psi gauge hooked up today. Didn't realize I could hit 35 psi round town.    :o. Fuel gauge is next.  Also found a nice spot for the pod. Right in the middle of the dash where there is a huge hole.  :\\\'(
Averaged 17.57 last tank. Including hauling this sack of potatoes to the shop.  That thing was heavier that the tj on 35s in that box trailer. Gonna try and get some new tires soon. But I'll run these till I get pulled over. And change them then.  [thumbsup]

Mine will only hit about 32-33 psi. The 2001 auto trucks have the smallest turbo dodge ever used on these trucks. :(

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #17
 [thumbsup]

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #18
Well now would ya look at that.  That's purdy!  [thumbsup]

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #19

Well now would ya look at that.  That's purdy!  [thumbsup]

Looks better with 2 :)

So much room for lockabe activities!!!
  • Last Edit: Monday, Sep 07, 2015, 11:52 AM by bad zuki