Skip to main content

Topic: Rear locker on my daily driver (Read 1535 times) previous topic - next topic

• DIRTYRIDE
  • [*]
  • DIRTY RIDE
Rear locker on my daily driver
Any opinions on putting a rear locker on my daily driver???
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015, 09:43 PM by DIRTYRIDE

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: Rear locker on my daily driver
Reply #1
Welcome to the Zu!  That's a good looking rig.  [thumbsup] 

If 50 people answer that question you'll get 75 different opinions.  ;D   

IMO it's fine as long as you realize there are certain caveats.  Tires will wear a little quicker (though not like a spool), it will pop and bang at random, tight turns can get interesting, and you may wonder why you didn't do it sooner.   ;)   Once you become accustomed to it's idiosyncrasies it really isn't bad at all.  The massive traction difference in low traction environments make it well worth while.  But again that's my own 2¢. 

Whatever you decide - enjoy that rig!  [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• recon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2

Welcome to the Zu!  That's a good looking rig.  [thumbsup]

If 50 people answer that question you'll get 75 different opinions.  ;D  

IMO it's fine as long as you realize there are certain caveats.  Tires will wear a little quicker (though not like a spool), it will pop and bang at random, tight turns can get interesting, and you may wonder why you didn't do it sooner.   ;)   Once you become accustomed to it's idiosyncrasies it really isn't bad at all.  The massive traction difference in low traction environments make it well worth while.  But again that's my own 2¢.  

Whatever you decide - enjoy that rig!  [thumbsup]

That's probably as good of an opinion as you will find on lockers.  I've read a couple posts where the owners thought their Sammy was too light in the rear to take advantage of the rear locker and wished they had added it to the front axle instead... but for off roading, I can't really see why someone would not want more tires pulling.  They just allow you go that much better.

2002 Tracker with a  2 Liter and 5 spd... it works for me.

• DIRTYRIDE
  • [*]
  • DIRTY RIDE
Reply #3

RECON... DO YOU HAPPEN TO BE  A SCOUT?

• recon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Sure was.  19D.   Did 27 years but I couldn't run with the kids anymore and retired in 2007.   I was very blessed to have had the opportunity to serve with thousands of great American guys and quite a few gals as well as hundreds of quality solders from sister countries over the years.  The Army was "veddy, veddy good for me."  I am thankful.  

Umm... just read this again.  It may read like a commercial, but I meant every word of it.
  • Last Edit: Friday, Feb 27, 2015, 08:22 AM by recon
2002 Tracker with a  2 Liter and 5 spd... it works for me.

Reply #5

Any opinions on putting a rear locker on my daily driver???

What size tires are you running on your rig? I like the whole look of it.
1988 Samurai - Soft Top - Rag Joint Eliminator - TOY-250 Carburetor - More mods to come...

• mkyhmltn
  • [*]
Reply #6
I have never ran a rear locker on a Sami, but I did run a mini spool on two of my daily drivers. It was very predictable and the tire wear on my 31" Super Swamper SSR's was actually very little even after 4 years.

• FireCkrEd
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
If you go off road at all you'll really enjoy having it. They do have their own little "quirks" to enjoy on the road also. I  always like the looks from other drivers when the detroit locker in my Yota equiped Sidekick "pops" or when I hit the gas in a corner locking the locker and squeal the tires.  Your ability to get un-stuck with a locker is so good many people don't get a winch. Another quirk is that on the road when you shift it kinda kicks your rearend sideways, you'll get used to it. If you get ice on the road in winter you have to take extra care with a locker. They can get you in a situation where you have no control at all. 
     Ed
95 4dr Kick with TT suspension, toy axles, 5.71 gears, 4.24 xfercase. TT bumpers w/9500 Ramsey winch. 31 BFG mud tires. Born again Spirit filled Christian Member of the Revival Fellowship

Reply #8
I drove my cherokee with a rear locker daily for a long time.. I didn't notice much if any additional tire wear. Took a bit of getting used to going around corners under coast vs power.. and the snow really makes life interesting that's for sure.

The wheelbase of the vehicle really makes a difference in street drivability with locker. So does the transmission. Autos bang less then standards, and longer vehicles bang less than shorter

Reply #9
I could be wrong, but I have heard your better off locking the front and leaving the rear open. If you are only doing one diff. I have also heard good things about ARB lockers.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #10

I could be wrong, but I have heard your better off locking the front and leaving the rear open. If you are only doing one diff.

This may be true if the focus is streetability.  When it comes to offroad locking the front only isn't so noticeable over rear only....until it gets a little slippery or a hill climb.  In either of those circumstances (which frankly is where you really need a locker....) there is no contest.  Rear wins hands down.  It all boils down to the compromise you're willing to make in order to gain the benefit you want to achieve.  In brevity, cost/benefit ratio.   [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Reply #11

This may be true if the focus is streetability.  When it comes to offroad locking the front only isn't so noticeable over rear only....until it gets a little slippery or a hill climb.  In either of those circumstances (which frankly is where you really need a locker....) there is no contest.  Rear wins hands down.  It all boils down to the compromise you're willing to make in order to gain the benefit you want to achieve.  In brevity, cost/benefit ratio.   [thumbsup]

Wow thanks for agreeing with my standpoint. bloody jeep guys seem to think the front locker is better if only getting one because of some perceived increase in hillclimbs, they say poop like the front end will come up over the lip and pull you up.. yeah.. right.. because all that weight is on the front end to allow you to get pulled up..uh huh

Reply #12
Or you could just be like me. two open diffs and a pedal to the floor! HAHA [red_s]

• black
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #14
ARB is the way to go best of both worlds open diff on road and locker when needed off road .  They are a bit expensive compared to a Detroit but you want have any on road quirky stuff in turns going on

• eruby
  • [*][*]
Reply #15
My $.02. I have a extended cab Dodge RAM locked and my Sammy locked in the rear only. Dodge is auto, Sammy is 5 speed (someone mentioned this mattered). Hardly notice anything in the Dodge. Gotta just understand that the small wheelbase/light weight does make a difference. On the pavement, sometimes you will hear a loud bang :o  like you broke something, you will hear clicking   ::)   while coasting in a turn and you something feel like someone picked up your rear tires and moved them 1 foot to the right or left :-\\\\ . All this seems to be standard for a Sammy with a rear locker. All are just fine if you get used to it. I have not noticed tire wear.
I've heard the story about if only 1 is locked, do the front. I was told it's because you leave your hubs unlocked for the street. I do not agree with this design unless you beef up your front axles. I also would not want front only in mud or snow (personal opinion). Best set up is ARB front and rear, 2nd best is locker in rear and ARB in front. (again my opinion).
Who needs more than 63HP??
It's all about the journey not the destination!

Reply #16
i have both front and rear locked with lockrights on my sidekick and honestly man, you'll never look back. Like some say there are some quirks and in winter it can be interesting, but for me it a non issue, traction is king.
94 sidekick lock right f&b, transfer gears, h.perf. rebuilt 1.6 8v
alteredego 4.5 sus lift / racks / bars / bumper
diy snorkel, led's,  6000# winch

Reply #17
only thing that stops my rig now is panning the bottom out

• BCmountaingoat
  • [*][*][*]
  • chew the earth
Reply #18
2 years with front and back lock rights and no major problems to report yet....... other than having to pull lesser rigs through the nasty stuff [thumbsup]

• Bearcat 74
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #19
I put a mini-spool in the back of my Samurai and I'll never have another without one.