Topic: notification (Read 1546 times) previous topic - next topic

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: notification
Reply #20
They are hopefully working... [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Reply #21
 I sure do miss the little smiley faces and little Zuks!
Haven't figured that one out yet.
  Computer Illiterated!!!
Picture is of my Uwharrie campsite before I got my Zuk!

• buckhornbob
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • 2014/15 Zu Barbie Jeep Champion builder
Reply #22
 ???  [doorlessblue]
What are you using, they are on my phone when I use the reply. Not quick reply though.
robert
88.5 sammi 5.12's locker front and rear,6.5 t-case, twin sticks.<br /> 3" lift springs,trac/kick  power steering, crabs frt/rear<br />93 tracker 8v auto w/4dr front brakes<br />05 QUV(3010 kaw mule)2" lift<br />88 sammi  tin top bone stock<br />90 tracker 8v 5 speed

• TD57
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #23

I sure do miss the little smiley faces and little Zuks!
Haven't figured that one out yet.
 Computer Illiterated!!!

If you get your reply or message ready to post, do a preview and you can add smiley faces & little Zuks.

Hope that helps...   [thumbsup]   [red_s]   [bluetintop]    [headbang]

Reply #24
 I'll give it a shot! The message icon was all I could find.

I'm using my laptop Mr.Bob.
I'm missing something, but my spelling has improved.
I can type BIG words now!!
           (spell check)
Picture is of my Uwharrie campsite before I got my Zuk!

Reply #25
Can you set the board to auto subscribe to a topic you have posted in? I usually enable that so I get email notifications but I can't seem to find that option anywhere..

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #26
In your profile, Notification Preferences you should be able to select options to do that.  If you can't find it let me know.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Reply #27
Yeah, I can be notified but only of the topics I have set to 'watch'.. and to do that I need the full editor, click on the 'attachments and other options' link at the bottom and check the 'notify me of replies' checkbox..  that should have an option to set as default so quick replies still get subscribed etc.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #28

Yeah, I can be notified but only of the topics I have set to 'watch'.. and to do that I need the full editor, click on the 'attachments and other options' link at the bottom and check the 'notify me of replies' checkbox..  that should have an option to set as default so quick replies still get subscribed etc.

Or you could click the RECEIVE ALERTS button on the bottom right.  

There are a couple of reasons it isn't set as default.  The first is it helps keep the database slim and trim.  The second is it helps reduce emails sent for every post made here.  If a member wants it they can get it, but it isn't necessary for members to get an email for every post made.  This is further exacerbated by the fact a site with as many members as the Zu will each day have more and more member email addresses going defunct.   This creates a huge backlog of emails on the server.  It will continue attempting delivery for 4 days further piling the backlog.  Both reasons stated have profound impacts on site performance.  As a side note I personally HATE a slow website.  I specifically avoid them and expect most Zu members fall in that same thought pattern.   ;)    In the case of emails that means yours truly has to cross reference the failing email addy to the member, attempt to contact the member to see if they have a valid addy they'd like to use as a replacement, then either replace it or (normally the case) remove all their notifications.  This is a manual process where batches of 10 may be removed.  Imagine a member having 5,000, even 10,000 posts with automatically set notifications...............       ........    ...

.....also remember I don't get paid for this nor is it a full time gig.  I work a day job too.  This is volunteer work for me, albeit slightly obsessive.  ;D  I'm not saying I mind any of the above at all - I love this place, the people, and helping them.  Just saying there is a simpler way.... [thumbsup]

Or notifications can be a manual thing on the part of the member.  Two clicks.   :D   Notifications are available if you want them, though the tendency is members will be more selective about notifications if they invest a small amount of effort to get them.  Overall it benefits everyone.  

Did any of that hubbub make sense?  ;D

• TD57
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #29

.....also remember I don't get paid for this nor is it a full time gig.  I work a day job too.  This is volunteer work for me, albeit slightly obsessive.  ;D  I'm not saying I mind any of the above at all - I love this place, the people, and helping them.  Just saying there is a simpler way.... [thumbsup]

Bryan,
We are really lucky that you take-care of this for us all!   [thumbsup]   [thumbsup]  

It's appreciated by all & THANKS!   ;)

Reply #30
I don't want notifications for every post I just want to be automatically subscribed to threads whereas I have replied. On other boards this is configurable from the options, I can set it to automatically receive notifications from threads instead of having to manually do it every time.

My thoughts is that this would drive traffic to your site, and people asking questions would get more timely responses. Say I ask a question, someone replies and I have to reply for clarification, I find out about reply #1 a day later after I remember I posted the question and go looking for the reply because I forgot to enable notification. So then I reply with my clarifying statement. The guy who replied looking for clarification then either never reads the clarification or finds out days later when he's going through unread messages, etc.. 

but anyway like you said, not my site i'm just pointing out how most sites do it with little or no complaints from the administrator, paid or not (usually not)

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #31

no complaints from the administrator

It isn't a complaint at all.  It is simply an explanation why it isn't configured that way.  Right, wrong, or indifferent that is the rationale.  Just being open.  ;)

Conversely, members could log in frequently if they have open questions.  ;D   

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I'm just kidding.  [thumbsup]
  • Last Edit: Monday, Sep 14, 2015, 03:25 PM by beekiller

Reply #32
No problem, it's your board. Was just wondering if the option was buried or simply missing

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #33

No problem, it's your board. Was just wondering if the option was buried or simply missing

Glad to help if you still need.
Oh, and for clarification, this site belongs to us all.   [thumbsup]