Skip to main content

Topic: thoughts on other wheeling spots (Read 1207 times) previous topic - next topic

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • ...if you weren't here, where would you be?
Re: thoughts on other wheeling spots
Reply #1
primitive camping is not yet available...

and when it is, same situation as RC = no showers

a bit more travel involved for those coming from the south.

a few bucks cheaper, on the upside, but we will still have to pay camp somewheres...

They mention helmets as a requirement in one of there events(Anthracite Trial Riders Benefit Ride)
= total deal beaker in July/August if this is the universal rule

...what the hell you lookin' down here for?

• SamTrack
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
how about the Cove camp ground  where big dogs is held the wheeling is alot better they have showers an bathrooms also  cabins you can rent a nice pond with a beach to swim in. the place is a very nice an once you unload your truck you dont have to load it up at the end of everyday to go somewhere else to camp.

the cove camp ground  has my vote 

it is 2 1/2 hrs from RC but is a stright shot stright down  81
role me back over so i can try it agin

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #3

how about the Cove camp ground  where big dogs is held the wheeling is alot better they have showers an bathrooms also  cabins you can rent a nice pond with a beach to swim in. the place is a very nice an once you unload your truck you dont have to load it up at the end of everyday to go somewhere else to camp.

the cove camp ground  has my vote

it is 2 1/2 hrs from RC but is a stright shot stright down  81

if its 2.5 hrs south that would interest me
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jtaj77

• SamTrack
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
It's in gore va / Winchester Virginia right on the line

• 94zuk
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5

They mention helmets as a requirement in one of there events(Anthracite Trial Riders Benefit Ride)
= total deal beaker in July/August if this is the universal rule

Just read the rules. Helmets are for atvs not full size rigs.

FULL-SIZE VEHICLES SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
All full-size vehicles must have the following:

Proper roll-over protection to include the passengers.

Battery tie down (no bungee cords).

Seat belts for everyone in the vehicles, fire extinguisher and trash bag for liquid spills.

At least one tow point (example: tow hook or receiver hitch)

Front and rear tow points are mandatory for the harder trails along with a winch and locker.

Cove campground sounds nice, but there is no way me or my sami will have fun with the 6 hours on the highway. Maybe if I had a tow rig.
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014, 12:04 PM by 94zuk

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6

Just read the rules. Helmets are for atvs not full size rigs.

I missed their rules.

Does not change the lack of camping at the moment.

Cove campground sounds nice, but there is no way me or my sami will have fun with the 6 hours on the highway. Maybe if I had a tow rig.

What difference does it make; you did not bring your rig last weekend... ???

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I am not sure we need to go to 'other wheeling spots' for this event...

As we sat around the fire Sat. night, (those of us conscious anyway), my thoughts were:

maybe we can apply the camping fees (RC=free camping) to a caterer; RC has a pavillion as well= free
those that want to camp at RC can
those that want to camp @ Twin Grove can
The only thing missing at RC (for the bulk of wheelers) is a shower, and I have mentioned several solutions.
hold the dinner/raffle @ RC

what this accomplishes:

saves many from loading/towing/driving back and forth many times (fuel as well)
upgrades our dining experience, since what was paid to camp, we can hire caterer-- it'll be 'hands off' for staff= less work, more fun
allows campers w/small children a choice; stay at Twin Grove for kiddies, pool, amenities, etc.
much entertainment for all as well-the Competition course is a short walk across the Rausch Creek parking lot

So what are the downsides?

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8

It's in gore va / Winchester Virginia right on the line

I will go WHEREVER the event is held

Cove is not cheap though, and added to wheeling, fee might be more than some would pay.

you thought $15 was to much too register/eat bbq, remember? [stickpoke]

• SamTrack
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
If you add up what it cost to wheel for 3 days an a new memebership  an the camping fee an the registration fee it's about the same as big dog give an 10% discount rate to events held there  

The wheeling is a lot better at the cove an the majority of the people who came were from VA and NC  ;D

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #10
The cove is still 14 plus hours for me. :)
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jtaj77

• blacknight
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Im open in possibly moving the camping to RC but I constantly see issues on their boards about things getting out of hand over there at night.   As for having the dinner catered this could be looked in to but people would have to preregister for the dinner/event as I would need a head count and that never goes over well.

• aftermarket4x4
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Vendor
  • One Man Army!
Reply #12

Im open in possibly moving the camping to RC but I constantly see issues on their boards about things getting out of hand over there at night.   As for having the dinner catered this could be looked in to but people would have to preregister for the dinner/event as I would need a head count and that never goes over well.

We will try to behave  [thumbsup]
Never miss an opportunity to spend time with family and friends!

• ecoast
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
I camp there approx. once a month; two or three nights at  a stretch.

Have not seen any problems at all--I think you may have read of past occurrences?