Skip to main content

Topic: alternator upgrade? (Read 1388 times) previous topic - next topic

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
RE: alternator upgrade?
Reply #20
Seems a little steep to me for what you get. ::)  You can get the bracket from LROR, Petroworks, or Trail Tough. I believe they also sell the adapter. Buy the alternator at NAPA, O'Rielly, Rock Auto etc. Any local auto parts will have the wire.
What's the difference between the bracket & the adapter?

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Re: RE: alternator upgrade?
Reply #21
What's the difference between the bracket & the adapter?
Good question. The bracket is the part that bolts to the engine block and holds the alternator in place.
The adapter is the piece that lets you connect the Suzuki alternator plug to the GM alternator.
I hope that helps. The connectors on the Suzuki and GM alternators are different, that is why you need the adapter. @susan_4X4‍ 
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,

• beagle..t
  • [*][*]
Re: alternator upgrade?
Reply #23
what upgrade for the 2.7 V6? running lights and winch and battery cant keep up

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Re: RE: alternator upgrade?
Reply #24
I notice that Rocky-Road advertises both a "mounting bracket" & "slider bracket":

http://www.rocky-road.com/sidekick-tracker-alternator.html
The slider bracket is the curved part that allows you to adjust the belt tension on the alternator. It mounts to the top of the alternator. Just look at your stock set up. The Rocky Road slider is made to work with a GM alternator. The stock slider would have to be modified to fit over the top of the GM alternator.
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Future parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Steering Stabilizer,

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #25
With this alternator, what size wire would I need from the alternator to the battery??:

"Below are the available amperages we have for the Suzuki Sidekick years and engines. Our high output alternators are a direct bolt-in replacement for your original factory alternator. Please note that we need five working days to build these alternators for you."

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_313/Suzuki-Sidekick.htm

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #26

"Here are our replacement high output alternators. These units provide additional amperage and a lot more output at an idle where it is critical. Pick from the category that best suits your vehicle. If you don't see your alternator here, click on the application guide or call us at (909) 794-1600 and we can help answer your questions."

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/category_1/High-Output-Alternators.htm

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #27
With this alternator, what size wire would I need from the alternator to the battery??:

"Below are the available amperages we have for the Suzuki Sidekick years and engines. Our high output alternators are a direct bolt-in replacement for your original factory alternator. Please note that we need five working days to build these alternators for you."

#1. I called them on the telephone, & they said #8 wire from the alternator to the battery.

#2. They also said that it was designed to handle the excess heat.
  • Last Edit: Thursday, Apr 06, 2017, 04:18 PM by susan_4X4

• zuki709
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #31
I'm running one out of a Silverado with a 4.3. Not sure if it was a 03 or 05. Took it out of my brothers old truck. Had to make a l shaped bracket for the top mounting hole and swap the pulley and put a whatshername behind it to bring the pulley out for alignment and cut the plug of the donor truck and wire it in to my tracker. Running it for 3 or 4 years now no problem. Had about 600 watts of auxiliary lighting on it and plow operated by 3000 pound winch. Submerged in bog water a couple of times still going strong  I also run a 1200 cca battery out of a semi that helps on the high load times. 01 tracker 2.0

• bossgobbler
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
Post update. My alternator I ordered from rockauto (PURE ENERGY Part # 13781) only lasted 2 and 1/2 years, so about to replace it. Have added a light bar since my previous post, so with the winch, think i'm going to upgrade to this one referenced in the post above ( Powermax Ebay alternator ). Anybody running this or another direct bolt on upgraded alternator that they like?
Got the Powermax alternator, but the pulley is not the same size as the stock alternator. Anybody running this alternator and did you swap out the pulley with the stock one?  Waiting to hear back from seller.

• bossgobbler
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #33
Got the Powermax alternator, but the pulley is not the same size as the stock alternator. Anybody running this alternator and did you swap out the pulley with the stock one?  Waiting to hear back from seller.
Looks like the smaller pulley is for more power at idle. Here's the response I got from the seller:

"Hi,No you can not change the pulley we installed overdrive small pulley to give you better power in idle if you change the pulley you will get low output in low RPM ,Thanks"

• IanL
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #34
It's a trade-off.  The small engine hasn't got the grunt to sustain a high electrical load at idle with the normal gearing.  The geared-down alternator will wear out faster at cruising rpm.

An alternative would be to install a hand throttle to raise the idle rpm when you need it.

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #35
To me, the best combination for a 1.6 Liter Trackick high-output alternator looks like the following:

#1. Direct bolt-in 1.6 Liter Trackick high-output alternator:

AND

#2. Heavy Duty 6 Gauge charge wire:

http://stores.adventure-off-rd.com/heavy-duty-6-gauge-charge-wire

lanL and everybody, what did you think of my post above????

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #37

Denso Remanufactured Alternator 75 Amp fits 1989-2001 Suzuki Swift Sidekick X-90????:

It says 75 amps at the top of the next URL or link!  However, if you'll scroll down & check for "Compatibility" with a 1991 Geo Tracker, you'll see that it says that it's only 55 amp for 1991 Geo Trackers with 4-Groove Pulleys!  Does anyone know why????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denso-Remanufactured-Alternator-75-Amp-fits-1989-2001-Suzuki-Swift-Sidekick-X-90-/142374901336?fits=Year%3A1991%7CMake%3AGeo%7CModel%3ATracker&hash=item2126349658:g:5zcAAOSwhvFZDksL&vxp=mtr