Skip to main content

Topic: alternator upgrade? (Read 1473 times) previous topic - next topic

alternator upgrade?
I think my alternators shot.  My battery light on the dash stays on and when I put the volt meter on my battery the voltage doesn't increase at all when I turn on the vehicle.

I have a 9,000lb. warn winch and sometimes run a spreader off the back to plant food plots, but other than that, don't have any other mods that pull more electricity than stock. May add some KC lights in the future but that would be it.

So should I upgrade to a better alternator(more amps) or just stick with the stock one.

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Re: alternator upgrade?
Reply #1
Personally I would upgrade ... Especially with the added strain of  , lights , winch , etc. ...  A larger output alternator , and a good battery would certainly be a great upgrade from OME ... 

Note : Also do be sure to upgrade your link between the alternator and battery , if you do decide to go with a larger output alternator ..The factory link isn't equipped to handle high amperage ... ;)

P
If you are doing a Job , it's always quicker to do it right the first time ...  Cheers.... :)

Reply #2
Any suggestions on which upgraded alternator to go with my setup that won't break the bank and is an easy install?

It looks to me like the stock alternator in my 2.0L puts out about 70 amps.  I see rocky road has an alternator kit for a 100amp alternator for 8v and 16v engines, but not sure if it will fit my 2.0L
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014, 07:09 PM by bossgobbler

• ack
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
check out this thread:

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=2648&highlight=Alternator

Many vendors offer partial (no alternator) or complete conversion kits that are pretty easy to install.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88 Samurai tintop, '14 Ford Transit Connect. />Ack's FAQ - nearly 600 searchable links to Suzuki SJ, LJ,  Escudo/Vitara/Sidekick/Vitara and Jimny information!

Reply #4
I tried low range and rocky road and low range doesn't carry any upgrades for the 2.0L and I never got a response from rocky road.

Anybody know of someone who makes an alternator upgrade for the 2.0L engine?

• txgocart
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
PM My at ZOR, he is now the national clearing house for all things Rocky Road.

If he doesn't have it he will most likely know where to get a kit or parts needed.

Ray

Reply #6

PM My at ZOR, he is now the national clearing house for all things Rocky Road.

If he doesn't have it he will most likely know where to get a kit or parts needed.

Ray

My at ZOR didn't have a kit for the 2.0 either but suggested a few other vendors for me to try so I'm crossing my fingers somebody will have a kit for me.

Reply #7
I tried all of the following vendors with no luck.  Anyone know of somebody else I can try.  Looks like I may just have to go with the stock alternator.

• LowRange

• Trail Tough

• Aftermarket 4x4

• ZOR

• Rocky Road

• Petroworks

• Last Edit: Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014, 12:23 PM by bossgobbler

• ack
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
I visited with the folks at the Shropshire Suzuki forum - who are known for their modding skills - and it looks like you'll have to live with your stock alternator or fab an adapter bracket on your own.

Apparently, aftermarket parts for the 2.0 I-4 are scarce.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88 Samurai tintop, '14 Ford Transit Connect. />Ack's FAQ - nearly 600 searchable links to Suzuki SJ, LJ,  Escudo/Vitara/Sidekick/Vitara and Jimny information!

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #9
You could self fabricate a new bracket ,  like ack mentioned . Use something like a Delco high output . ;)

Or you could spend your money for a direct bolt on too :

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=317
If you are doing a Job , it's always quicker to do it right the first time ...  Cheers.... :)

Reply #10

You could self fabricate a new bracket ,  like ack mentioned . Use something like a Delco high output . ;)

Or you could spend your money for a direct bolt on too :

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=317

I don't think I have the fab skills to build my own alternator bracket, so just bought the stock one from rockauto for $115 (before I saw this post with the link to the upgrade).  If this one dies on me too, may upgrade to this one you found, but the one I'm replacing could just be old and is due to be replaced.  But it would be nice to have those extra amps for running my winch and possibly some lights in the future.  Hopefully the 70amp stock one will be enough amps to run them.

• Newfie-Zuk
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #12

Would any other upgrades need to be done to run this alternator without frying stuff?

Nothing major ... I would probably run a little higher gauge wire to the battery , and maybe add a heavy fuse link , some even eliminate the fuse too ... Personally I rather add one , or even a circuit breaker ... The rest of the system would remain the same ... These high amp alternators don't put any more amperage into the system , unless demand requires it . It is just like any other alternator , until you start to turn everything on ... Once that happens , the alternator will put out the required amperage ..  [approve]  [approve] 

• IanL
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13

Would any other upgrades need to be done to run this alternator without frying stuff?

The main problem with an older vehicle is connections/terminal resistance.  If that is high due to corrosion or contamination, excessive heat will result at that point.  Get all the connections bright and clean (including the main fuses under the hood).

Reply #14
Greetings!

Alternator upgrade -- I just went down that road.  

I have a 2003 Suzuki Vitara 4x4 (base model) 5speed with a 2.0L 4-banger.  Suspected a bunk alternator (with the belts off I couldn't freely turn it anymore) so I ordered the PowerMAX 140-amp alternator from eBay for a couple hundred bucks.  Stock is 70 amp, so 140 amp should be a bit more intense to turn, however the old one was impossible to turn so I figured it would be a huge upgrade and a repair at the same time.  I am very happy with my purchase, I got it installed and it's all shiney and new, I noticed a nice gain in power and fuel economy has gone up slightly, but not the huge world of difference I expected...  Still on the hunt for increasing my MPG, just figured I would pop my head in here and say the eBay one works like a charm.

If you want pictures, just let me know.

• bossgobbler
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
I don't think I have the fab skills to build my own alternator bracket, so just bought the stock one from rockauto for $115 (before I saw this post with the link to the upgrade).  If this one dies on me too, may upgrade to this one you found, but the one I'm replacing could just be old and is due to be replaced.  But it would be nice to have those extra amps for running my winch and possibly some lights in the future.  Hopefully the 70amp stock one will be enough amps to run them.
Post update. My alternator I ordered from rockauto (PURE ENERGY Part # 13781) only lasted 2 and 1/2 years, so about to replace it. Have added a light bar since my previous post, so with the winch, think i'm going to upgrade to this one referenced in the post above ( Powermax Ebay alternator ). Anybody running this or another direct bolt on upgraded alternator that they like?
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017, 01:43 PM by bossgobbler

• BCmountaingoat
  • [*][*][*]
  • chew the earth
Reply #16
Ive been running 105 amp chevy alternators cs-130 (88' 3/4 ton suburban 2wd), they take an adapter plug and bracket to hook up tho, and seem to fuk up just as much as the suzuki alternators when submerged repeatedly and arent any cheaper.... just more power
94 sidekick lock right f&b, transfer gears, h.perf. rebuilt 1.6 8v
alteredego 4.5 sus lift / racks / bars / bumper
diy snorkel, led's,  6000# winch

• melbakid
  • [*]
  • Sparky
Reply #18
Seems a little steep to me for what you get. ::)  You can get the bracket from LROR, Petroworks, or Trail Tough. I believe they also sell the adapter. Buy the alternator at NAPA, O'Rielly, Rock Auto etc. Any local auto parts will have the wire.
There are only 2 types of Samurai's: Those we need & those we want!
9/13: Goldilocks 88.5 Samurai ST 29's on 15x7's
11/13: 95 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR Parts car
2/15: Red Ryder 88.5 Samurai TT 4.16 TC w/ TT shifter, MKII, SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME Stabilizer, ZOR seats

• susan_4X4
  • [*][*][*]
RE: alternator upgrade?
Reply #19
Personally I would upgrade ... Especially with the added strain of  , lights , winch , etc. ...  A larger output alternator , and a good battery would certainly be a great upgrade from OME ... 

Note : Also do be sure to upgrade your link between the alternator and battery , if you do decide to go with a larger output alternator ..The factory link isn't equipped to handle high amperage ... ;)

P

I realize that a 2.0 Liter is different from a 1.6 Liter, but if you do have a 1.6 liter, it looks like this kit has a larger link:

"ALSO SUPPLIED IS A 6 GUAGE CHARGE WIRE WITH THE CORRECT ENDS TO BOLT RITE UP. THE ENDS ARE SHRINK RAPPED TO PROTECT FROM CORROSION. SIMPLY CHANGE THE ALTERNATOR AND BRACKET. THEN PLUG IT IN!"

http://stores.adventure-off-rd.com/geo-tracker-sidekick-1-6-105ampgm-alternator-conversion