Author Topic: VW 1.9TD AAZ Crankshaft Modification. ....  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
I did a VW1.9TD AAZ crankshaft nose modification today ..... I figured I should post a few pics of what I actually did ,  for everyone to see....  I  just drilled this one out , and used 3 hardend 3/16" pins...... 

I cleaned the crank  nose well , then started with a new gear.... I drilled the new gear out in two places , each approximately  90' from the keyway..... Then  installed it onto the crank with an old crank bolt I modified ...

The modified bolt ,  has the sides sliced off it , to allow the drill to pass through the gear , and into the crank nose....I just drilled approx   3/16" into the crank  nose...Not much is needed... [approve]

After that , I decided to add a third hole ....Not needed but what the heck ... This is like playing with legos to me  !  Ha ! Ha !  The third hole is hidden on the gear ,  since it do not pass all the way through the gear , like the previous two........

That's it ..... Here are a few pictures ....

Any questions just ask..... ;)

P
If you are doing a job, it's always quicker to - "DO it right the first time" !!!

Cheers.... :)

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Here are some more pics .....

P
If you are doing a job, it's always quicker to - "DO it right the first time" !!!

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Here are the differences in the original  Vw bolt , and the new " upgraded 12.9 bolt ".

Notice the  upgraded bolt (on the left side in the picture)  , has a nob onto it  ?  This makes it easily identified onto the crankshaft into the vehicle.... ;)

The label I included for the parts number , the bolt is available at VW ... I know the label says 2 in quanity  ( only one bolt is needed ) ,But  I never purchase one of anything , when I am purchasing parts  ....Hee  !

P
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 08, 2014, 05:01:54 PM by Newfie-Zuk »

Offline zuki709

• Wheeler
should of text me paul, i have a jig here you could of had a lend of. i bolt mine right on and drill the gear and the crank all at the one time.

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Maybe next time ... [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

I hauled this crank off the shelf this morning , while cleaning up ... No real planning , I just figured I would put some pins in it , and clean it up ... ;D  ;D

Thanks though ...........

P

Offline ToeCutter

• Window Licker
  • Zu Crew
Looks good. You know you could've posted this BEFORE I did mine. Lol

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Looks good. You know you could've posted this BEFORE I did mine. Lol

Sorry about that  ..  

You can still easily add a new gear , just put maching blue on the crank nose before installing the new gear .... It will transfer the hole mark to the inside of the new gear .. 

Once you have it marked ,  you can make your hole , in the correct location....Then if you wish to add a second hole no prob ....  Two is plenty , I only put three in this crank because I may run a high boost level .... ;)

Just be sure to use a NEW BOLT , no exception's ...

P

Offline ToeCutter

• Window Licker
  • Zu Crew

Sorry about that  ..  

You can still easily add a new gear , just put maching blue on the crank nose before installing the new gear .... It will transfer the hole mark to the inside of the new gear ..

Once you have it marked ,  you can make your hole , in the correct location....Then if you wish to add a second hole no prob ....  Two is plenty , I only put three in this crank because I may run a high boost level .... ;)

Just be sure to use a NEW BOLT , no exception's ...

P

I may add a second pin, I've got bolts ordered.

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Here is another VW 1.9TD AAZ , I am now rebuilding ....  :)

Modified this crank nose to the D-Notch design in this build ... This D-Notch is used on the later VW TDI engines...

The TDI on the  left , original  1.9 AAZ is on the right ...;)

P
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 09, 2014, 02:08:35 PM by Newfie-Zuk »

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Here are two more pics .....

P

Offline ToeCutter

• Window Licker
  • Zu Crew
I've been doing a bunch of reading about the "D" shaped crank snout. I think the pins should do the job.

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
A new bolt along with two pins is pretty much bomb proof ....

That is all that I did with my daily driver's crank nose  , two pins ,new gear , new bolt , and locktite. ..

It has logged  249, 988 km's now since rebuild.... Other than one timing belt service , and oil changes , it has not  missed a beat  !!

P

Offline Godzuki84

• Dr. Off-Road
Awesome work Newfie! The crankshaft mod is only applicable to the 1.9 motors right?

Offline Diesel_Zuk

• Zukaholic
  • I <3 diesel.
Oh, that crankshaft mod. I thought you were talking about the mod to the back of the crank, where you grind down for the flywheel.
86 soft top sami mtdi swap- http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,125057.0.html  [tansamside]
1991 jetta 1.6 turbo diesel

Offline Godzuki84

• Dr. Off-Road
Oh, that crankshaft mod. I thought you were talking about the mod to the back of the crank, where you grind down for the flywheel.

Nope, but my mistake anyways, on the other thread this mod is what I thought you guys were talking about.

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Awesome work Newfie! The crankshaft mod is only applicable to the 1.9 motors right?

Yes , that is correct , just the VW1.9TD  AAZ   ...

It's VW gasser cousins the VR6 and ABA were also known for keyway issues too , but we will only concern ourselves with the VW diesels here ... [approve]

The VW1.9 TDI  1Z/AHU uses the newer designed  D-notch gear ... Not as common a problem , since there is no keyway ... However they too can fail , bolt fatigue is the issue which could cause it ... Make sure your running the newer upgraded bolt ..... ;)

P

Offline Diesel_Zuk

• Zukaholic
  • I <3 diesel.
Yes , that is correct , just the VW1.9TD  AAZ   ...

It's VW gasser cousins the VR6 and ABA were also known for keyway issues too , but we will only concern ourselves with the VW diesels here ... [approve]

The VW1.9 TDI  1Z/AHU uses the newer designed  D-notch gear ... Not as common a problem , since there is no keyway ... However they too can fail , bolt fatigue is the issue which could cause it ... Make sure your running the newer upgraded bolt ..... ;)

P
I have read that some of the very early 1z motors still have the key way design like an aaz does.
86 soft top sami mtdi swap- http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,125057.0.html  [tansamside]
1991 jetta 1.6 turbo diesel

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
I have read that some of the very early 1z motors still have the key way design like an aaz does.

Not sure about that , but I do know some of the later model AAZ were fitted with the 1Z ,D-notched crankshaft .... [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

P

Offline oatesequine

• Dr. Off-Road
Hey P

Can I get part numbers/recommended supplier for
Crank bolt
Sprocket?
Pins

I need timing belt and tensioner too so if I can order most from one place that's best.

Thanks

Offline Newfie-Zuk

• Zu Crew
  • My Suzuki.. N-Z
Hey P

Can I get part numbers/recommended supplier for
Crank bolt
Sprocket?
Pins

I need timing belt and tensioner too so if I can order most from one place that's best.

Thanks

Oatey the parts and suppliers I listed in your other thread , inquiring about  ; " 1.9td AAZ ( parts suppliers ) "  ...

The pins I used were just  3/16" hardened solid steel pins .. Available at most hardware and automotive retailers ...
I think Home Depot here loclly carries them for example ... I remember checking , after I had the modification done ..  ;D