Skip to main content

Topic: heater blower switch refurb (Read 2376 times) previous topic - next topic

heater blower switch refurb
This is for an 85-87 suzuki samurai I am sure other years use the same switch, what ones they are, I have no idea. This will correct the problem with your heater blower only working on some speeds but not others.

First assumption.
You have screwed up enough effort to pull your dash apart to get the switch out. You would need to do this if you were planning on replacing your heater blower switch anyway.

Second assumption.
You have some fine steel wool and a phillips screwdriver handy and have already gone to your auto supply store, paid the $5 and bought some bulb grease (dielectric grease)

Remove the two screws (red arrows)

Pry over the four locking tabs (green arrows) to remove the top plate. Obviously if you use too much pressure you'll screw the tabs up....

Take the fine steel wool and buff up the copper ribbons and dots. Be careful not to lose the small spring under the removable triangular contact. The copper ribbons are nice and thick, so no worries about scrubbing them off.

Apply dielectric grease over the copper ribons, dots, the triangular piece and the non conductive parts of the slide. and snap top cover back into place and replace screws. Remember the small spring under the triangular piece. There are different sizes tabs on the triangular piece, so this will only fit in the switch one way.

The dielectric grease is necessary to prevent arcing of the contacts when the switch is slid from speed to speed.

I thought I had posted this on here a number of years ago. I did a search and didn't find it. Anyway, here it is...
  • Last Edit: Sunday, Oct 06, 2013, 12:18 PM by westcoaster
'04 Dodge 3500 srw quad cab diesel
'87 Suzuki samurai tin top with a VW 1.9 turbo diesel

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: heater blower switch refurb
Reply #1
Nice writeup!  How would you feel about this being a How-To?
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

Reply #2
sure, put it as a how to...

this one is not as good, but along the same lines...

The switches in the samurai really are dirt dog simple. They are easy to take apart and the switches are made of large copper pieces. Much like the heater switch refurb, the ignition switch is easy to take apart, clean up and reassemble.

Assembled switch (minus screw)

Switch separated from key lock

There are a couple of locking tabs on either side of the securing screw. apply pressure to the securing screw tab while pulling back on the tabs. The switch will pop apart.

"exploded view"

You will not need to pull anything more out than the round copper piece and the wire harness.
Edit: I did pull the whole thing apart. It is not necessary and not recommended unless you were to find a way to clearly document what position the black plastic "spring pad" is in the white housing. there are two tiny spring loaded ball bearings on either side of the black spring pad, this is what provides the key clicks. It will take a little patients and some skill to get everything reassembled if you do decide to take it apart.

Buff up the copper piece with steel wool. Buff up the corresponding piece with the wires attached with steel wool as well.
Run down to your auto supply store and buy yourself some bulb grease. Apply liberal amounts of bulb grease and reassemble. (the bulb grease will prevent arcing that will melt and destroy the copper pieces.)
  • Last Edit: Sunday, Oct 06, 2013, 12:21 PM by westcoaster
'04 Dodge 3500 srw quad cab diesel
'87 Suzuki samurai tin top with a VW 1.9 turbo diesel

Reply #3

This is for an 85-87 suzuki samurai I am sure other years use the same switch, what ones they are, I have no idea. This will correct the problem with your heater blower only working on some speeds but not others.

First assumption.
You have screwed up enough effort to pull your dash apart to get the switch out. You would need to do this if you were planning on replacing your heater blower switch anyway.

Second assumption.
You have some fine steel wool and a phillips screwdriver handy and have already gone to your auto supply store, paid the $5 and bought some bulb grease (dielectric grease)

Remove the two screws (red arrows)

Pry over the four locking tabs (green arrows) to remove the top plate. Obviously if you use too much pressure you'll screw the tabs up....

Take the fine steel wool and buff up the copper ribbons and dots. Be careful not to lose the small spring under the removable triangular contact. The copper ribbons are nice and thick, so no worries about scrubbing them off.

Apply dielectric grease over the copper ribons, dots, the triangular piece and the non conductive parts of the slide. and snap top cover back into place and replace screws. Remember the small spring under the triangular piece. There are different sizes tabs on the triangular piece, so this will only fit in the switch one way.

The dielectric grease is necessary to prevent arcing of the contacts when the switch is slid from speed to speed.

I thought I had posted this on here a number of years ago. I did a search and didn't find it. Anyway, here it is...

You did a great job and it saved me 70 buck for a new switch thanks a lot.

• Ronzuki
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
Great how-to!

Instead of steel wool, try simply using a fresh pencil eraser.  A type writer eraser works best if you can still procure such a thing.  the rubber contains some type of micro-grit. (I have one I've been using for years from my electronics tech days).  Circuit board gold plated card edge connectors ....steel wool can scratch and damage/remove the plating.  I'd start out with a standard pencil eraser and switch to the typewriter job if the connection wasn't polishing up nicely.
Ron

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

• recon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
GOOD info to know.  Thank you!
2002 Tracker with a  2 Liter and 5 spd... it works for me.

• slozuk
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Excellent write up and pics. Thanks

• Aids10
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
Thanks m8; I'll be sure to do this next time I have the dash out!  [thumbsup]

• Aids10
  • [*][*]
Reply #8
How do you get the heater control panel out ???

I removed the stereo box & bracket underneath and got the heater's face panel off and screws out but it still won't pivot down [burried]

• Aids10
  • [*][*]
Reply #10
Looks like the dash has to come out to get to cables [smiley=cussing.gif]

• ka4yqi
  • [*][*][*]
  • Now Retired, but watching
Reply #11
The guys doing this are mechanic. Anybody can be a parts changer, but it take a mechanic to fix it.
Steve Arrington
Carrollton, Ga