Skip to main content

Topic: New dash vin attachment (Read 1049 times) previous topic - next topic

• Skipholiday
  • [*]
  • beat the path
New dash vin attachment
Considering replacing my dash.
Does or has anyone replaced the vin tag?

is it ok? Can I remove it and reattach to the new dash?

Thanks

Re: New dash vin attachment
Reply #1
I replaced a dash for a guy recently. Put a square vent dash into an 87 tin top while wiring for 16v. All I did was drill out the rivets, and re-rivet in place on the new dash. I don't understand why it would be illegal, just as long as you put it back with rivets so the dmv can't tell. Just from looking you would never know it wasn't the original plate for the dash.

• Skipholiday
  • [*]
  • beat the path
Reply #2

I replaced a dash for a guy recently. Put a square vent dash into an 87 tin top while wiring for 16v. All I did was drill out the rivets, and re-rivet in place on the new dash. I don't understand why it would be illegal, just as long as you put it back with rivets so the dmv can't tell. Just from looking you would never know it wasn't the original plate for the dash.
sounds good, I was thinking the same. Wanted to check 1st. We are building an aluminum dash and it can still be located in the same location.
Thanks

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Reply #3
I think I would just throw it in the glovebox of my new dash instead of messing up my pretty new aluminum dash with some govmnt BS. But that's just me.
Constitutional Carry for NC & SC!
         Because bearing arms is not, and should not be a privilege.
   Permits are privileges, and can be granted and taken by Government.
                           Let's Secure Concealed Carry as a Right!

• rangerscott
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #5
I've only know about the VIN going with frames. 
Partsdinosaur.    Your engine rebuild needs.

• ack
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
Just to be safe - assuming that your rig is going to be operated on the road - I would have a nice non-specific chat with your state's local Highway Patrol office (they are most often the governing body on this) about the procedure.  They probably have some suggestions on how to do this properly.

Why assume?

And why depend on the Internet for this kind of important legal information?  ;D
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88 Samurai tintop, '14 Ford Transit Connect. />Ack's FAQ - nearly 600 searchable links to Suzuki SJ, LJ,  Escudo/Vitara/Sidekick/Vitara and Jimny information!

• zukfari
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • SM4x4ZC (Safety First)
Reply #7
I think I would just throw it in the glovebox of my new dash instead of messing up my pretty new aluminum dash with some govmnt BS. But that's just me.
Put it on the driver side door fram, that's where mine is factory on my 87.
ZUKFARI