Skip to main content

Topic: Trail Tough "Epic Trek" Suspension for Samurai's (Read 4452 times) previous topic - next topic

• jaime
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Trail Tough "Epic Trek" Suspension for Samurai's
Reply #20
Guess business closed out for good. 
Small yet UltraPowerfull

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Reply #21
Huh? 
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• jaime
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
 Would like to know why Trail Tough does not use OME lifted YJ springs for the Epic "SPUA" kit. 

The OME lifted YJ springs  offer more height.  Petroworks uses the OME lifted and offer 5.5 inches of lift on SPUA YJ 

Whereas Trail Tough YJ Epic kit offers only 3 inches of lift.  This is very important.  

Why go through all the YJ swap when the height is about same as a basic OME spring kit ?

Would like to hear from TT and others.

Rocky Road also uses OME springs.  I was about to purchase their kit, but those guys take soooo long that I cancelled.

Rocky Road on their JP Eater YJ conversion claims 6.5 in lift in SPUA.

The lift offered by TT seems too little a lift for the work. 

Small yet UltraPowerfull

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #23
I don't know this for fact.  Just a thought or two.  Using lift springs in the spua configuration gives about the same lift as using softer stock yj springs in spoa configuration.   It allows another option.  Imo using a stiffer lift spring in a spua is about pointless.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• jaime
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24

Hi.

The reason I look for SPUA is because I use my Suzuki on roads as well.  

When I go to Mexico or up northern CA ( and will go over to Washington)  I do drive my Samurai.  Mine is not a strictly off road vehicle. I do not trailer it .

For that matter I need more stability.  SPUA offers that. , whereas SPOA offers more clearance, more travel, I know that, but makes the ride less road  prone.

That is why it makes sense to look for a combination. Need some height for larger tires and clearance.

The YJ springs are longer than stock Samurai springs.  I understand the fact that stock arched springs become very siff.  Calmini kits come in mind.  But the YJs are longer, and softer, so lifted ones do work well.  

Perhaps it is a brand thing, Trail Tough refusing to use OME or other springs in favor of their own brand springs. 

Petroworks uses all Trail Tough parts, except for the springs, which are OME.

If you look at photos of ( and seen in person Samurais at Petroworks shop in So Cal) ... Petroworks YJ SPUA versus Trail Tough, the former are about 3 inches taller. 

I invite both sides to post photos, those who have trail tough Epic YJ SPUIA  and Petroworks ( or Rocky Road)  YJ SPUA kits on their rides.

All in the name of information, not trying to attack anyone.  Guys at Petroworks told me the best suspension parts are made by TT.  Having said that, they told me they do some things differently, like using OME springs. So why does TT not offer a version of their Epic SPUA with OME, as well as their signature Bonz eye spring set up ? 
Small yet UltraPowerfull

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #25
Height is a more important factor the spring configuration.  As the two lifts offer approx the same amount of lift, most likely there won't be an appreciable difference is stability. 

Check out the 6" rule.   [thumbsup]

• redidbull
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Geek- Computer and Weather
Reply #26
My Project #2 had about 8" of lift and talk about unstable. I never took it up on the highway. A panhard bar would have probably helped. I was spring over with RUF and Cjs with missing links. I eventually lowered it to SPOA with stock springs ~ 4" or so. My TT has shackle reversals, 1.5 springs, and a 1" body lift all spring under. Much more stable at 4.5" of lift than the SPOA was at about the same lift. Less articulation though. Jim

• Zuki4x4
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Carb Junkie!
Reply #27
I run the trail gear 3" SPUA.

http://www.trail-gear.com/category/1119/leaf-springs

They are very stiff and "bouncy" on the highway...

I am entertaining the idea of coils, if I can find a used set for a good price...(Looking for the smoothest highway ride)

I guess I should also mention I am running RR shocks (prob overkill for what I do and they appear to be an unbraded Rancho shock) 

http://www.rocky-road.com/samurai-shocks.html

There are also some Jimnys that run coils if you can find them local or online for a good price...

I know the trailing arms are on ebay...

The tires in the attached pics are 275/60/15 and are I believe around a 29" tire.

Hope this helps...
  • Last Edit: Saturday, Aug 13, 2016, 08:48 PM by Zuki4x4

• mistawiskas
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #29
I don't know about the whole Epic Trek system, but the bonz-eye springs and suspension upgrades you guys did on my yellow car is outstanding in handling for both on and off road performance, Thanks Brent and Linda.
                                                                                                      Walt, from Grants Pass

It's when a mosquito lands on your testicles, that you know that not all problems can be solved with violence.