Author Topic: Motor running after engine is cut off  (Read 566 times)

Offline awilson

• Wheeler
Anyone have a idea as on what will cause a 1.3 engine, weber carb, headers , engine dieseling a few seconds after turning key off and shutting down engine? Mine just started doing this. Had a friend set the timing with a snap-on timing gun that shows rpm's and timing, he set timing running just straight headers no exhaust.  I put the exhaust back on with cat converter & muffler , this seems like  when the dieseling started. Also its sluggish in 2nd gear only.

Offline rangerscott

• Zu Crew
  • Brought to you by THE INFORMATIVE
Running rich.  Could also be a vacuum leak.
Partsdinosaur.    Your engine rebuild needs.

Offline Rickstwowheels

• Locked Up
Mine does the same thing.  I checked the main jets and they are both 140 which I thought should be fine.  Maybe it is a float setting.

Offline Smallblock

• Locked Up
I posted the same thing a few weeks ago.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/index.php?topic=124847
I idled mine down some and that seemed to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'87 Samurai-Weber carb,Old Man Emu 1.5" springs,215/75/15s,low range 1/2" lift shackles,Low Range Offroad Defiant bumper

Offline boxcar

• Dr. Off-Road
Advance your timing 3 degrees.
 Unless your engine is literally brand spanking new , and I mean all of it. The published timing specs are guides only. Every engine will require fine tuning above or below factory specs.

Offline awilson

• Wheeler
[font='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Found my problem on dieseling after cut off. Running a Weber 34 DGEC & headers on stock 1.3.   I had removed my dizzy and replaced the shaft o-ring and housing o-ring. I marked each housing to make sure it went back into correct position. Somehow I got the dizzy teeth 3 off when I put it back in.  A friend of my sons came by who use to have a Sami, took dizzy out and moved it around a few times to get timing right. Now it runs smooth as ever,  re-adjusted timing and set idle & mix on carb.  Took him about 20 minutes and cured my problem. Best 2 cases of beer I ever bought someone.[/font]

Offline txgocart

• I live here!
Two cases of beer and a wheeling Sami.

Hope you have good insurance.

JK

Ray

Offline beekiller

• Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
  • Administrator
  • It's ok to be touched
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000717713271
Hope you don't mind I merged the topics since the new one offered resolution to the original.  Glad ya got it.   [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Offline boxcar

• Dr. Off-Road
Some times beer is the best currency. I've been known to accept it on occasion. Good to hear problem solved.

Offline siloguy

• Trail Leader
My Sammie does a strange thing when I shut it off. If the heater fan is off, it shuts down like a normal vehicle. But if the fan is on high, like it is all winter, the engine will run on until the blower motor slows down, which can be around 2 seconds. It is not dieseling, it just delays shutting down while the blower motor is turning. My theory is that the blower motor is generating power as it spools down, and that is enough power to keep the ignition system going for a second or two. But is seems like the blower circuit should be divorced from the ignition circuit. Anybody have similar behavior from their carbed sammies?

Offline catfishblues

• Central Carolina Zuks
My Sammie does a strange thing when I shut it off. If the heater fan is off, it shuts down like a normal vehicle. But if the fan is on high, like it is all winter, the engine will run on until the blower motor slows down, which can be around 2 seconds. It is not dieseling, it just delays shutting down while the blower motor is turning. My theory is that the blower motor is generating power as it spools down, and that is enough power to keep the ignition system going for a second or two. But is seems like the blower circuit should be divorced from the ignition circuit. Anybody have similar behavior from their carbed sammies?

That's exactly what's happening. It all runs back to the main line from the battery to the fuse box. Input power anywhere that can bypass that ignition cutoff, and it will cause run-on.
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear. HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall. TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.