Skip to main content

Topic: Cleaning up the mess, a build/fix/fab diary extravaganza (Read 7931 times) previous topic - next topic

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Re: Cleaning up the mess, a build/fix/fab diary extravaganza
Reply #100
Oh yeah!  Totally solid and no more readjusting every few hundred miles because it slipped.  And the belt alignment is right on.  I'm finally on the way to trouble free alternator bliss!
[lol] [lol] [lol]    NOT!

Started it up and no battery light.  That's good but the voltage still shows 12V, which means it's not charging.  That's weird.  Shut it off and look again to see what I missed.  Everything looks ok but it's not working.  Bad alternator is possible but would be odd right out of the box.  Remy is a division of Delco so you would think they know how to rebuild their own alternators.  The belt tension seems ok but holy 5#!4 the pulley is burning hot!  Like I actually burnt my finger touching it!  Maybe it is too loose then.  I tried pulling it really tight but it took a lot of stretching.  The link belts are designed to run tight but this didn't seem right.  It did work with the belt set really tight but there was green belt dust forming, just from running it around the block.

Hmm.  Maybe the link belt is not such a great idea.  So I tried a regular belt.  That worked better but was still wearing very quickly.

Perhaps the alternator pulley is too small and doesn't have enough surface area for the belt?  Being small also means the belt won't have as much leverage to turn the alternator under load.  And It's chrome plated which doesn't seem to grip the belt as well as the old zinc plated pulley.  Maybe an under drive pulley would be better?  Ebay to the rescue!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-Pulley-V1-Delco-10SI-Type-116-Alternators-John-Deere-R52159-New-/231024471253?hash=item35ca21acd5:g:Fo4AAOSwPe1UJR~~

This one is way bigger, almost twice the diameter.  That should give it way more surface area for grip, and reduce the belt tension needed under load.

And not only that, it's also wide enough to accept a 1/2" belt, for even more load capacity.

Amazingly though, I'm still getting a lot of belt wear.  The only thing I can come up with is that there is a small band of rust around the crank pulley towards the outside of the V; and maybe this rust is rubbing away at the belt.  So over the last weekend I took the crank pulley off and sanded it smooth.  If that doesn't work I'm at a loss to explain it.  I know many others have done GM alternator swaps on the VW diesels and not had this problem.
C|

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #101
The yj flares don't look too bad! How hard were they to fit?
Pretty easy actually.  These are all rear flares BTW.  They need some trimming in a few places and they have to be swapped left to right in either the front or back, I forget which now.  But it's pretty obvious once you put them up to the wheel arches what needs to be done.

They still don't sit exactly flat against the body but I was in a hurry so I didn't try and get them perfect.  Eventually I'll do some more trimming so they sit flatter.

I just used sheet metal screws to hold them on, which seems to work ok.  It feels  a little sleazy but I couldn't come up with anything better without major effort.

C|

• Spokerider
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #102
Is the belt running in the bottom of the pulley? That can cause belt wear. 
 Alignment good? 

Did you run the alt without the wires connected to battery?  If so, that can burn out diodes. 
Tough as nails and dang near as smart.

• cygnus x-1
  • [*][*]
Reply #103
Is the belt running in the bottom of the pulley? That can cause belt wear.
 Alignment good?

Did you run the alt without the wires connected to battery?  If so, that can burn out diodes.
No, yes, and no.
The alternator works very well in terms of power output.  Voltage is well over 14V at idle.  It just wears belts.  The old one didn't, even with less than optimal alignment, so something has changed.  I'll have to get some more running time with the cleaned up the pulleys and see if that helps.
C|