Looks pretty good if you ask me.
Such is life in the tropics<br />"chain 'em up and slide 'em down!"...Ecoast

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
My first Suzuki
Reply #21
Thanks..

All mounted up...
'87 Samurai Old Man Emu 1.5" springs,235/75/15s,1/2" lift shackles,Low Range Offroad Defiant bumper,Myside1 40mm,2"stainless exhaust.

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: My first Suzuki
Reply #22
 [thumbsup]

How about some more shots... (front, side, mounting system)

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
My first Suzuki
Reply #23
I think I'm going to revise the mounting and use all 8 of the holes in the frame to mount it. I'm only using the tow hook holes right now and I don't imagine it would be too stout.   
This whole design is a loose copy of a homemade bumper I found on a website. I made the uprights my own way though by making them match the shape of the fender and hood.

Added some short pipe in the uprights to put the d-rings is so they wouldn't rattle.
  • Last Edit: Sunday, Dec 02, 2012, 12:31 AM by Smallblock
'87 Samurai Old Man Emu 1.5" springs,235/75/15s,1/2" lift shackles,Low Range Offroad Defiant bumper,Myside1 40mm,2"stainless exhaust.

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
I had my old bumper mounted with 7 bolts. 4 on the round part of the chassis right where the shackle mounts (cut the two side ones off to allow the bumper to fit) and then welded a piece of plate to the top of that same round bar and put 3 more bolts through that plate.

Now I have a different setup because I had to reinforce the front (round tube was completely rotten) So now have rectangular tube welded to the front of the chassis and then two quarter inch plate "ears" welded to that. And 6 bolts (3 on each ear) holding the bumper on. So far it has held up well. As long as the bolts are strong enough you should be fine. (don't forget mine held up like that with a lot of winching done to it!)

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
My first Suzuki
Reply #25
Ill keep that in mind if i decide to beef up my mounts. I'm not a hard core off roader or anything.  I'll probably never have anything hooked to the tow hooks. 
  • Last Edit: Sunday, Dec 02, 2012, 06:29 PM by Smallblock

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
Reply #26

Ill keep that in mind I Will decide to beef up my mounts. I'm not a hard core off roader or anything.  I'll probably never have anything hooked to the tow hooks. 

You never know when you need to pull someone out even a small car out of a ditch, and also if you hit a larger animal on the road and it will hold up alot better  [thumbsup]
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #28
That river looks like a perfect place to go relax and drink some cold ones!  [thumbsup]

One thing I would advise you to do before the license plate mount is cap the ends of the tubes of the bumpers. I know you say you're not going to do any hardcore stuff, but... I doubt any paint got in there and dirt and water will really easily. So... that basically means that your bumper will get rusty and nasty very quickly unless you address that issue.

Just my dos centavos!  ;)

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
My first Suzuki
Reply #30

Nice looking zuk!!

Where in Mo are you I wheel in MO.

Also I would shy away from the weber if you want to wheel it they dont like angles.

I'm about 20 min south go elephant rocks.  Not far from Washita,but I've never been there.
I'm looking for drivability most of all. I'm not gonna ever be a hard core wheeler. Lol

• ezlivn89
  • [*]
Reply #33
I have the same 2 peice hard top. for leaks look at the door seems in the corners by the sun visors. You should be able to see some daylight out of those holes. Secondly our entire seal came undone on the back peice. Took out the rusted bolts, put new stainless steel ones in and after letting it dry redid the seal with waterproof caulking in a black color. Works like a charm
T

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
My first Suzuki
Reply #34
Wow never got any emails about replys...

Yeah there's some daylight showing thought the top thats for sure. A while back there was water over the road and I didn't know it. At about 60 miles a hour I think every place that could leak did. We got soaked.
The previous owner never took the front half off so he siliconed it on. I cleaned  it all off so its removable again.

Yesterday it wouldn't start. I work at a starter and alternator rebuilder so I took the alt and battery to work to check out. They were both bad.  My alt wasn't rebuildable so I  thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a Delco,but we had a stock rebuilt nippondenso that had been on the shelf a long time so my boss  gave it to me.
I'm way more familiar with the with the 10-12SIs,AD and CS alternators than I'd like to be.  lol  I was wanting to use a 1 wire cs-121. I still may build one in case I ever decide to add lights to my bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Last Edit: Monday, Feb 25, 2013, 10:44 PM by Smallblock

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
Here's a .50 cal ammo box mount I'm working on. It's going to have a locking strap over the top that will keep it from being removed or opened. I have to get a piece of metal to finish it tomorrow. I'll post more pics when it's done.

• Smallblock
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #38
Painted the wheels black.
Now I'm waiting on some led lights for the front bumper to come in.

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
That rig is looking nice! The ammo box mount is really cool.

And the black wheels, well, that makes all the difference!!  [thumbsup]