Author Topic: Grinding noise at 40 mph coasting in 4 wheel drive.  (Read 1927 times)

Offline gary

Just bought the 87 Samurai. It has 68k miles on it.  The Fine fellow never told me about this issue.  I only checked it in 4 low, and assumed.  I was heading down the highway, and it was fine untill about 40, then a grinding noise.  I checked what I  could find on the post, but didn't seem to relate to my problem.  Checked the output shaft to the front, and the gears looked good.  Fluid was clean. (Like someone changed it recently).  Drive shaft looks good, u joints are all good.  I assume (again) this is a transfer case or something forward of it. The hubs seem to work o.k., and the diff. seems o.k.  I could use some good experience.  Thanks G

Offline 87YellowSuzi

Are you driving it in 4wd at those speeds? Or does it do it in 2wd also? If it does it in 2wd, check rear wheel bearings. When they get wore out, they roar pretty loud. Atleast mine did anyways.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk 2

Offline gary

No it is only in 4 wheel drive. 

Offline † Ţanzer †

• Zuk Mob Warlord!!!
  • I Hate Being Bipolar IT'S AWESOME!!!!
  • Gmail: tonyhitt@gmail.com
thats kind of fast in 4wd
i think mine would explode if i was driving it on the road in 4x4 at thoes speeds

Offline 87YellowSuzi

I know you checked the output shaft, how much play does it have. To me it sounds like the front output bearing.

Offline zukmonster

• Zukaholic
  • Go Dawgs!!
does it make the grinding sound when accelerating AND letting off the gas? or is it one or the other? try checking the "dust shield" on the front drive shaft flange of the t-case, as well as the dust shield on the pinion flange on the front end. these shields are pressed on to the flange and can sometimes loosen up, causing a slight rub on the front end or t-case.(whichever is loose)

if you need a pic of it, i will get you one tomorrow. i had a very similar problem, and that was the issue. i just put a small tack on it with the welder, and alls good now.

HTH
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline gary

It only seems to do it when you let off.  I will check those dust covers.  Sounds like something I didn't check.  Thanks Gary

Offline gary

I also checked the output shaft, and it did have a slight play when I grabbed it and checked, but I didn't know how much it should have.  It wasn't much.

Offline 90sammyon33s

• ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
  • Dr. Off-Road
why the need to run 40mph in 4WD? does it grind if you have the hubs locked in but no the transfer case? does it grind when you have the transfer locked in 4wd but have the hubs unlocked? grinding sounds like a bearing of some sort, somewhere
1990 Samurai 1.3 EFI, trail slayer kit, 6.5:1 Xcase w/Slutty Snatch, Tubed Front, 35 MTR/K, 4.11s, yotas welded front & elocker rear, yota PS w/ ram assist, shrockworks sliders, york OBA, beadlocks,  front cage..

Offline bad zuki

• Willy G, The Donut King
  • Zu Crew
  • Zu Troll
    • http://www.facebook.com/badzuk1
Had a similar problem with mine, It was how loose the front drive shaft was, If you can feel any play, i wouldn't recomend driving on the road in 4wd,  I can leave my hubs locked in now and I hear no noise at 55, with a new
extended front shaft
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!

Offline gary

It grinds when it is in 4 hi, if the hubs are in, or even with them out.  The 40 mile an hour thing is on the highway, and it is a need to get out of the way going down the mountain to keep a 18 wheeler from taking me out.  I live in the mountains, and town is about 20 miles either way.  I took the front shaft off, and run it in 4 hi, and it looked smooth through the shifter boot hole when I was running in 4.  I can run with the hubs in in 2 wheel, and no noise.  Thanks for the help guys.  You can feel the ruffness in the transfer case shift lever, but if their is a vibration any where you probably would.  I am thinking of taking the front output shaft of again, and check the bearing.  Their was no sign of metal or dirt in it the first time.

Offline 87YellowSuzi

Well if it's smooth when hubs are locked in and tcase in 2hi. I don't think it would be the bearing or output shaft. It has to be something with the shift collar.

Offline gary

I believe you are on the right track about the shift collar.  I was playing with it when I came home a while ago, and had it in 4 low to come up my driveway.  I still have snow, so I guess that is all the driving to fast in 4 wheel drive comments.  Anyway I shut it off, took the hubs out, and pulled it into what would be four high, from 4 low, and it locked up.  I took the shifter off.  And the shift rods where out of line  Stuck the shifter back in, and lined them up.  Noticed the only thing in the hole for the shifter is a rubber bushing of sorts, and it is almost to come apart.  I see something about shift sheets in some of the new transfer case adds.  Am I missing something in their, and I guess I should get a new rubber bushing.  Wondering if this is causing it not to go all the way in?  Also suspect the shift collar.  What should I look for when I take the output shaft off again?  Should I replace the bearing while I'm in their again?  Thanks 87YellowSuzi

Offline 87YellowSuzi

You can change if you want to. But it's not that hard to get it back off in the sammy. Maybe your shift fork is bent??? And causing the collar to ride crooked.

Offline Skyman

• Zuki Guru
This \/ \/
I chased this one for a few weeks, and sure as heck it ended up being a front drive shaft that was loose on the splines.

It  was caused by having a drive shaft that was about 1' too short. Being short it cause a little bit of lay which was just enough to wear it down and make it loose.

Grab the front drive shaft, if it wiggles up and down at the middle joint (where the splines are), then that is where your noise is coming from.

It will sound like a very growly/gravely output bearing.

Had a similar problem with mine, It was how loose the front drive shaft was, If you can feel any play, i wouldn't recomend driving on the road in 4wd,  I can leave my hubs locked in now and I hear no noise at 55, with a new
extended front shaft
Proud parent of a U.S. Navy sailor.

Offline gary

Thanks Great help, and great site.  I have some repairs to look at, and I will be away from the rig for a couple of weeks.  I will let you know how things turn out.  Or be back on looking.  Can't say enough about this site for the new guy.  You all are great.  Gary

Offline viking

• Zuwharrie Addict
  • '88 JX TT, '87 soft top is growing moss, really!
A few week ago I jacked my tin top up on safety stands because I had a rumbling sound when coasting in 2 wheel driveI put it in 2 and 4 drive and ran it about 50 mph.  I thought the sound might have been the axle bearings but it ended up being the t-case input shaft bearings.  I installed all new bearings except for the rollers on the gears and it's amazing how much things quieted down and how much smoother the drive train runs.  I will say this though, when the Sammi was on jacks and running in 4 four wheel drive high at about 50 mph it sounded like shaking a bucket full of marbles.
I've done so much with so little for so long that I can do almost anything with nothing!  "All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"  Edmund Burke

Offline gary

Thanks, I am leaning that way.  I haven't inspected the bearings in the output shaft, but that's coming. 

Offline 87YellowSuzi

Check and make sure that shift fork and shift collar are straight. And there's a little needle bearing on the main shaft. The imput shaft rides in there. Make sure it's down in there good.

Offline viking

• Zuwharrie Addict
  • '88 JX TT, '87 soft top is growing moss, really!
Check and make sure that shift fork and shift collar are straight. And there's a little needle bearing on the main shaft. The imput shaft rides in there. Make sure it's down in there good.
That needle bearing assembly came with my bearing and seal kit.  The old one came out easily with an expandable bearing puller a friend had but before you pull the bearing, (If you're changing out the bearings), you should check the depth with a caliper so that when the new bearing is installed it at the proper depth.   Actually YellowSuzi probably ment the front drive shaft output shaft.
I've done so much with so little for so long that I can do almost anything with nothing!  "All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"  Edmund Burke