Skip to main content

Topic: Uwharrie Workdays (Read 9809 times) previous topic - next topic

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Re: Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #41

If March 16th is still a good date? I'll try to make plans for that date.

AFAIK.  I will check with the FS to be sure.   [thumbsup]
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Reply #42

That means no chainsaw for Mike!

That's fine I'll bring my own, if I can make it. What is the 1 1/4" socket for?
Constitutional Carry for NC & SC!
         Because bearing arms is not, and should not be a privilege.
   Permits are privileges, and can be granted and taken by Government.
                           Let's Secure Concealed Carry as a Right!

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #44

Q for ya, might save you some trouble.  Are you Chainsaw Certified by the FS?  They require the cert even if you bring your own.   ;)

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Reply #45

Q for ya, might save you some trouble.  Are you Chainsaw Certified by the FS?  They require the cert even if you bring your own.   ;)

Nope, but I have been referred to as Certifiable though.

So what's involved in the certification process?

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #46

Nope, but I have been referred to as Certifiable though.

So what's involved in the certification process?

[lol]  [lol]  [lol]

That I have no idea.  If you're interested in getting "certified" I will be glad to get info for you.  No doubt it involves a class and an exam of some variety.

• SuBoricua
  • [*]
  • Krew Krawlers
Reply #47

Hey Mike, I'm sorry. I was just trying to be funny. I was refering that if you were hungover it would not be smart to give you a Chainsaw.

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Reply #48

[lol]  [lol]  [lol]

That I have no idea.  If you're interested in getting "certified" I will be glad to get info for you.  No doubt it involves a class and an exam of some variety.

I don't think I'll be messing with it, I done some goggling and found this on another forum

"
Chainsaw Cert...
I've held a chainsaw certification for about 9 years now--the card is good for three years each time you certify or re-certify. The initial certification course is about 18 hours (two days) with a lot of classroom time followed by going out on the District, having the instructor assign you a tree and telling you where he wants it dropped. He'll drive a wooden stake in the drop zone, and you need to fell the tree within 5' of the stake. Do it and you've earned an 'unrestricted' chainsaw card good for three years. If you'd prefer, you can avoid the 'felling' certification, get a card restricted to 'no felling', and simply work trees up once they're on the ground. As previously mentioned, you must have a current First Aid/CPR card for your chainsaw card to be good...

Once you've earned the chainsaw certification, the card can be renewed in a one-day class, which includes some classroom review followed by the felling test in the woods...

A chainsaw operator must also have a 'spotter' when using a saw on the District; I think it's a good idea for the 'spotter' to also have First Aid/CPR... Most people taking the class bring their own gear, including saw, fuel & lube, chaps, long-sleeve shirt, helmet, eye and hearing protection, and leather boots."

Sounds like too much of  a PITA for 1 or 2 days a year.

I'll just bring some Aspirin and my pocket knife. ;)

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Re: Re: Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #49

Hey Mike, I'm sorry. I was just trying to be funny. I was refering that if you were hungover it would not be smart to give you a Chainsaw.

No problem funny is good.
It's never smart to give me a chainsaw and I've got a 10'' scar on my leg to prove it!
But now I'm more careful and haven't cut any soft tissue for around 20 years.

I didn't see anything else about this workday so I stayed home, hope I'm not missing out on something good.

• SuBoricua
  • [*]
  • Krew Krawlers
Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #50
I'm planning to participate on the next one. In 2 weeks from now. 3/16/2013

• pmcg27
  • [*]
Reply #51
[thumbsup]  we will be there on the 16th to!  do we still meet ant the outpost at 8:30??
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013, 10:19 AM by pmcg27

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #52

[thumbsup]  we will be there on the 16th to!  do we still meet ant the outpost at 8:30??

Meet at the Outpost is cool to pick up a few items.  The important meeting is at Hunt Camp at 9:00.  That's the one with the FS.  In case anyone doesn't recall Hunt Camp is south of the Outpost off 109.  Take the first right off 109, the parking lot is on the right at the corner of the gravel FS road.   [thumbsup]

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #53
Also, if you have not sent me your info for the workdays please send it to me.  I need to turn it in to the FS.  Just a list of names should suffice.  8)

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #54
The next workday is approaching!  In fact it is next Saturday March 16.  We will ne meeting at the Outpost at 8:30. Should you miss that we will be migrating to the Hunt Camp to meet with the work group at 9:00.  See ya there!

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
Reply #55

I'll just bring some Aspirin and my pocket knife. ;)

[lol]  [lol]  You have no Idea what that statement means to me,  [lol]  [lol]

Sounds like fun you guys  :-* ;D
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• Mikew
  • [*][*][*]
  • ZukeMizer
Re: Re: Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #56

[lol]  [lol]  You have no Idea what that statement means to me,  [lol]  [lol]

Nope but I'll bet it's a good story :)

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #57
Somehow I have been behind on some details for this weekend.  It is far larger than a regular workday.  This is the email from the FS:

Hi Everyone – The big Tread Lightly & John Deere & Uwharrie NF Stewardship Project is coming up this weekend and here are the general details for everyone.  The biggest thing is that we’re meeting somewhere new to start with.  Please get the word out to all of your members even if you can’t make it. 

Meet at 9 am at the Uwharrie Off-Road Training Center on Hwy 109 N (the wooden barn) across from the Eldorado Outpost.  If you’re going to camp overnight Scott Fields is offering camping at the training center for free and he’ll have port a potties set up.  For showers that weekend volunteers can go to the Badin Lake Group Camp and shower for free.  There are people that have reserved Camp site C at Group Camp so please let the volunteers know to be courteous and to not over take the showers there but to maybe go in shifts.  We’ll have t-shirts, carabineers, and other freebies for the volunteers!

We’ll meet at the UORTC on both days at 9 am and then go over the projects and divide groups up.  Please tell folks to bring the following tools if they have them because we’re not sure what project they’ll be working.  Ask them to bring shovels, rakes, rock bars, chains, sledge hammers, socket sets/ ratchets, hammers, etc.  Also, remind them to wear work boots, appropriate clothing & layers for getting muddy, bring work gloves, water and some food.  Let everyone know to plan on working roughly 9 am to 5 pm.  If they have to leave earlier that’s ok.  If they can only come 1 day that’s ok too.

Food on Saturday will be provided for lunch & supper and on Sunday breakfast, and lunch will also be provided.  Bring some snacks & water though because you might get hungry before the food makes it to you. 

The overall projects will be installing 3 kiosks, installing the wooden guiderail (the fencing around our trailheads), installing guardrail, seeding and mulching some disturbed areas, and installing wooden bollards.   

We need about 40 volunteers to get all of these projects done and to get things ready for opening day on March 29th. Thanks a lot.  We appreciate it.

Followed by:

I forgot to ask folks to bring chains, D rings etc. for hauling guardrail in and if you have a trail trailer that you can bring please do to haul posts & tools in.  Thanks a lot.

The weather looks fabulous!!  Lower 70s even!  Though a jacket would still be advised as it IS still March.   ;D

To sum:  bring the tools you can, and meet across from the Outpost instead of the Hunt Camp.  Look forward to seeing everyone there!!!

• pmcg27
  • [*]
Reply #58
??? wow im glad i stoped by to look here today. sounds good see all of youz there

• SuBoricua
  • [*]
  • Krew Krawlers
Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #59
See you there!

Sent using Tapatalk