Skip to main content

Topic: Uwharrie Workdays (Read 9809 times) previous topic - next topic

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Krew Krawlers, Mountain Division
Uwharrie Workdays
Last year the Zu had some participation in the Uwharrie workdays.  Thank you to those who helped!!!  This is key to keeping the trails open and in good shape for us all.    8)

This year wouldn't it be great if we had even better participation? 

Well......rumor has it there may be additional incentives!!  Nothing is set in stone YET.  But how about this for incentive?  What if there was a $50 4wheelparts gift certificate raffled at EACH workday? 

OR -

What if the person who participates in the most trail workdays this year wins a winch? 

Have your attention yet?  Well stay tuned - information will be posted in this section for the coming workdays.   [thumbsup]

Now let's get out there and pitch in!  I personally participated in several workdays last year.  It is a lot of fun, you can learn a lot about the trails, and it is a GREAT opportunity to meet a lot of wonderful people from the offroad community.   ;)
All I want from tomorrow is to get it better than today.

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Re: Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #1
Bryan, Could you please explain what these work days are? Specially for us event new comers...

One thing is for sure, what I can gather from what you said... it's just about getting on the trails and helping keep them clean and in good shape. What I didn't get was when this is going to happen. Just so that I can see if I am going to be around to help!!!  [thumbsup]

If it's something that happens at the event count me in, and no worries about the incentives. Those can go to someone else. Helping is more than enough for me!!!
Such is life in the tropics<br />"chain 'em up and slide 'em down!"...Ecoast

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Stay tuned on the "when" part.  They happen once a month...the first was today.  I got on it too late too.   :-[

Mostly the work days consist of putting up guard rail to cease illegal trail use, rut repair, stream crossing repair, cleanup, etc.  There are always guys and gals from several organizations there.  Again, it's a great "networking" opportunity as you get to talk to folks in the know.   ;)

Claiming you are offended is essentially saying you are incapable of controlling and managing your emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #3
Is this by any chance going to happen during the Zu as well?

If so, like I said before, count me in!!  [thumbsup]

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4

Is this by any chance going to happen during the Zu as well?

If so, like I said before, count me in!!  [thumbsup]

We do have a sponsored trail we will clean up.  It's mostly picking up beer cans.   ::)

• samurayo
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
Reply #5
Sounds good. Although I thought alcohol wasn't allowed in parks??  ::)

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #6

Sounds good. Although I thought alcohol wasn't allowed in parks??  ::)

it isn't allowed PERIOD, but at night the creeps start creeping and end up drinking on the trails.

Brian.........

I am down with helping this year......... if you could post up dates that would be great man. As long as they are weekends I should be able to make the clean-ups.

Loud Proud & Country By The Grace Of God !!!

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #7
Cool!  That would be great David.   [thumbsup]

Here is the latest from the FS as of this morning:

Hi Everyone – I’m sorry this message is getting out late but it has been a busy spring & I was on Spring Break last week.  For the upcoming April 21st work weekend we were not going have a big work weekend because the majority of folks that generally supervise & organize these will be on fire details in FL, one will be doing a training session & one will be at a wedding.  Generally, picking up trash along the trails and at the dispersed campsites would be very helpful.  Also, your groups can go to the Arrowhead Campground Host site at campsite #22 to pick up garbage cans and day passes and tools and she’ll get you’ll all signed up so we can keep track of your volunteer hours.  Also, volunteers can clear off a lot of the debris from trees & prune back some of the branches with loppers & pruners and that would help out a lot too.  In May we’ll probably be installing a couple of sections of guardrail on Falls Dam Trail where folks are climbing hills off of the trail and we’ll have a few other projects lined up for hard work and that we’ll need a Bobcat to help us out with.

Thanks a lot for helping out.  We appreciate it very much.  Bye - Terry

• norzuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • The Deer Stalker
Reply #8
well I will miss the April 21 one because of work............ anything after that I should be able to work.

you know that I need to get the rig finished first LOL
Loud Proud & Country By The Grace Of God !!!

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #9

well I will miss the April 21 one because of work............ anything after that I should be able to work.

Me too.   [worried]  Maybe we'll get together on a few this year.   8)

They get finished?   ;D

• bad zuki
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Willy G, The Donut King
Reply #10

X2, But if it didn't cost an arm and a leg in gas.
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. do you like TV. I saw a rock. HI!<br><br>Quote from: ack Fri May 15 2015 08:52:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)<br><br>I am going to agree substantially with Sean "My Body Hurts" DeVinney.

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #11
Could anyone work these dates?  There will be a special deal for the event if you make a workday.   [thumbsup] 

January 26th and February 23rd and March 16th

Remember folks, this is a HUGE part of what keeps this trail system open.  Without volunteer help from the people who use it any trail system would be in peril.   :\\\'(

• pmcg27
  • [*]
Reply #12
i might be able to do the march 16th. ill have to see when i get my yearly drop of work stuff. then i can tell for sure. but with this kind of notice i should be able to work somrthing out

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
We will be giving an event discount for anyone who attends a workday!  If you are interested meet at the Outpost Saturday morning at 8:30.   [thumbsup]

Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #14
Bryan.  I might be able to make it this Saturday.  Not set in stone yet. I have a battery issue right now and am looking at getting an optima Friday after work.  If that fixes everything, I should be able to make it.  

Sent from iPhone 5 !¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #15

Bryan.  I might be able to make it this Saturday.  Not set in stone yet. I have a battery issue right now and am looking at getting an optima Friday after work.  If that fixes everything, I should be able to make it.  

Sent from iPhone 5 !¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

Fantastic!   8)   We'll keep our fingers crossed.

• pmcg27
  • [*]
Reply #16
ill be comein to this with a buddy of mine.( scott ) is there anything we should bring that the park service wont suppy? ( chain saws, shovels and such, trash bags) just thought i would ask so to bring stuff from home reather than buy it up there. this will be the work day of march 16th.do we still meet at the outpost on that weekend.
  • Last Edit: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013, 10:14 AM by pmcg27

• beekiller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #17

ill be comein to this with a buddy of mine.( scott ) is there anything we should bring that the park service wont suppy? ( chain saws, shovels and such, trash bags) just thought i would ask so to bring stuff from home reather than buy it up there. this will be the work day of march 16th.do we still meet at the outpost on that weekend.

This is copied from the FS email announcement:

Things to bring are: your lunch, water, work boots, work gloves, layers of clothing so you’re ready for wet, dry, cold or hot weather, and an assortment of tools if you have the that are good are: shovels, rock bars, chains, D-rings, sledge hammers, ratchets with sockets that are 1 ¼-inch in size, regular hammers. If you’re chainsaw certified and are coming up please bring your chainsaw equipment with you that you received as part of your training & we’ll have additional chaps and wedges for those who don’t have them.

Hope that helps.  Thanks for your help.  Hopefully we can get more people interested!!   [thumbsup]

• SuBoricua
  • [*]
  • Krew Krawlers
Uwharrie Workdays
Reply #18
I'll be glad to and looking forward to help on the Feb/23 date. Already have it on my calendar.

• pmcg27
  • [*]
Reply #19
chain saw cert??? whats that?? but we got the rest of the stuff.