Skip to main content

Topic: Camping Trailer build (Read 8262 times) previous topic - next topic

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Camping Trailer build
ok...ive had this posted over on zuki krawlers but now its time i should put one over here....

After a long discussion in the chat room many nights (when it actually worked) with shorty and a few of the others i got the bug to built a tiny travel trailer. however I went a different direction...

instead of an enclosed camper I decided to make a "Pack" trailer. mainly a small trailer for hauling my camping supplies and leaving more room in the zuk for tools and spare parts.

Im a little late in posting this since ive done a bunch of work already but this is how it started.

I picked up a circa late 60's sears and roebuck jon boat trailer from filter for $50 with a good title. promptly removed the main tube that runs to the hitch and cut off the leaf spring mounts.

I decided i wanted to be different so im going with a simple coil and link suspension.

built some spring mounts. gunna use TJ front coils cut down for now.

I also wanted to be able to use the same size wheels and tires as whats on my zuk so i pretty much made my own axle from 2" od tubing and some other parts i drew up in autocad and cut out on my plasma table..

it will use samurai front spindles and hubs.

now on to the links and link mounts. the links are 3/16" plate...1" Sch40 pipe...and some YJ leaf spring bushings

the mounts are all figured out in CAD.

Mechanical Engineers build weapons.....Civil Engineers build targets...

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Re: Camping Trailer build
Reply #1
here is an update...finally got a chance to work on it again today.

the axle is now attached to the frame and the springs mostly installed. i still got to install the lower retainers, build a panhard bar and shock mounts

then spent quite awhile cleaning up some spare wheel bearings i had laying around and some hubs...spindles...etc. gunna use a set of XL7 drive flanges instead of lockouts to cover the hubs.

more updates tomorrow. i got to pick up some new hub seals from autozone later today then going out to dinner for madsammer's and my sisters birthdays. Japanese hibachi! woohoo

my goal is to have the frame sitting on a set of tires tomorrow.

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #2
ok time for an update. I managed to find some decent used wheel bearings in my parts pile and got all the hub and spindle parts cleaned up and painted yesterday.

here it is sitting on the wheels....man this is tall even with the springs cut down...

and here is a mock up of what i was originally going for. still a bit undecided on what and how im going to mount everything on top.

I still have shocks to buy and mounts to build...panhard bar to build and mount...and finish up the lower spring retainers but thats good progress so far for this week

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #3
ok time for an update. after finishing up the wiring to my shed and a bit of cleaning i wanted to work on this again.

i got the tongue all welded up... then i moved on to the rear rack. its whats left of a conferr roof rack that trentski had cut in half. he had a half rack mounted inside his zuk and i had the other half mounted the same way for awhile. i took it out to put in a back seat.

for this project i had to narrow it by about 6" so i cut it apart and welded it back together.

then i got my mounts figured out (got to make them yet) but decided i wanted to loose the goofy back parts of the frame. and just let the rack be the rear of the trailer.

after setting the cargo carrier back on and bringing the wife down for some opinions (cause ya'll know they got alot of them)... i decided on a placement and decided to make the mounts. I had what was left of an old street sign post that was given to me. it was for one of the larger heavier signs so it was good and thick...

and this is about what it will look like...

i got a plan now for the panhard bar.... gunna salvage one of a wrecked XL7 i got sitting here. use the ends of of that and weld them on to an old RRO z-link i got here.

should come out nice and will be adjustable too. and i still need to come up with some shocks and mounts.

i plan on building what will look like a roll bar over the front part of the rack with some angular kickers to the back mainly to give me more options for securing down gear.

thats all for now...

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #4
ok well time for a long needed update.

I finally got my plasma table back up and running so after cutting out a bunch of backed up work i decided to cut some stuff for my trailer build.

i made up some mounts for the basket and a name plate /support gusset for the basket. I also managed to figure out the final location for the carrier.

here are the mounts cut out...

here are the rear brackets bent up

welding them in place...

here is the name plate. eventually im going to put some red lights in behind it and hook them up to the brake lights...

and finally a new overall shot..

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #5
time for a long awaited update.

today i just kinda dawdled around my garage with no real direction and ended up working on my trailer...

i started by building a panhard bar for it. i robbed the factory one off a wrecked XL7 i got sitting in my backyard and proceeded to cut the ends off of it.

I also had an old Z-link laying around that i refused to put in a zuk so i held it up to the trailer and it will work out great for a panhard. i cut the end of the TRE off of it and used the threaded portion so i could adjust the panhard as needed.

then on to the mounts...

some chopped up angle...

some tabs cut out on the plasma table...

i did cap that tube

here is the panhard mounted.

i know the panhard angle is horrible but its a trailer not a rig that will be wheeled. articulation and steering angles really dont apply lol

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #6
ok...on to the shock mounts....

some more tabs cut out...

more creativity with angle...

overall shot...

another overall shot...

and this is with the tongue sitting on a 30gal drum...a bit tall isnt it...

i got to pull the axle out now and finish welding everything up and paint it all now. but its comming along nicely. i also started on my "rollbar" hoop that will be going on the front the rack behind the carrier. but no pics of that yet.

next installment i will be finishing up that and hopefully fenders. still not sure if i will made them or buy them...

• augeter
  • [*][*]
Reply #7
" next installment i will be finishing up that and hopefully fenders. still not sure if i will made them or buy them..."

We're still waiting.
"It seems common sense isn't very common anymore" Eustance 2012
Batteries not included, Your mileage will vary.

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #8
yea its been a pretty busy summer so far....i haven't done anything else with it just yet. i should be getting back to it pretty soon though

• ZUKIMON
  • [*]
  • Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
Reply #9
Looking very nice man. I am very jealous of your fabbing skills. ;)

I have a great wife. ;)

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
love it
I can't go in the deep end of the sandbox. That's where the Leprechaun lives. He told me to burn things.
- Ralph Wiggam

• SuBoricua
  • [*]
  • Krew Krawlers
Reply #11
[thumbsup]

• don_bobbo
  • [*]
Reply #12
That's pretty cool. Plasma cutters are freaking awesome!

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #13
not really much of an update but my trailer managed to survive the hurricane lol.

My mother in laws dog ran off about 2 weeks ago and in my attempt to wander the soybean fields next to my house I came across a fairly new trailer jack just laying in the field. It must have fallen off someones trailer as they drove past. It was still in good working order so to help the farmer out (yea thats my story) i picked up the "junk" and took it home so he wouldn't hit it with his equipment.

its a little short but i want to cut the pad off and add a wheel to it instead which will make it a few inches taller. I'm not worried about rotating it up and out of the way at this point as this trailer is not for wheeling....its for camping so it wont see anymore then a dirt campground road.

• augeter
  • [*][*]
Reply #14
Have you thought about putting locking hubs on? Then when people question it you can tell them you only lock them in when you want to pull out a heep. I enjoy messing with people's minds.
Great little trailer, now I thinking.
"It seems common sense isn't very common anymore" Eustance 2012
Batteries not included, Your mileage will vary.

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #15
i thought about it. and it may happen. i just happen to have the drive flanges handy. the best part is it allows me to keep a spare set of hubs...lockouts...wheel bearings all on the trailer axle. worst case i rob the trailer for parts to fix the zuk so i can drive to get new ones.

• Schultzie
  • [*][*]
Reply #16
This little trailer is very cool!  Must be amazing to have your own plasma cutter ... [thumbsup]
"The unforgivable crime is soft hitting.  Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."  Teddy Roosevelt

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #17

This little trailer is very cool!  Must be amazing to have your own plasma cutter ... [thumbsup]

thanks!

the plasma cutter definitely is nice. However if you've seen any of my other build threads over the years you would see that it not a necessity and this trailer could be built with a torch,grinder, and a welder.

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #18
Well in a mad dash to get some stuff done for gonzookin I pulled out this little back burner project and threw it together to make the trip with the help of a friend..

My friend pulled out the axle and finished welding up what i just had tacked together...

He also mounted a set of fenders from TSC on there...

The fenders are the right width i just need to build some spacer brackets to space them off the frame so they actually cover most of the tire. right now about 3" sticks out the other side. I had another friend with a garage save me some 31's that were worn funky to put on here for now...

I added a pair of el-cheapo tail lights from horrible freight and a plate to make it all legal like

I also added safety chains and a new 2" coupler.

• Freebird01
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • thatguy
Reply #19
I learned a few things about it this weekend...

1. drivers wheel wobbles. not sure if i got a bad bearing or bent rim. Bearing is totally possible as they are used sammy wheel bearings.

2. trailer dogs badly. axle is not square to the trailer. I need to make my link bars adjustable to correct this.

3. the roof top carrier is not big enough. going to build a custom box for more volume.

4. this thing is uber light and you barely know its behind you. it rides very well and isn't super bouncy.

so my to do list is as follows:

1. figure out wheel/bearing issue
2. adjustable link bars
3. add side marker lights and rear center marker lights behind logo
4. clean up wiring
5. make new fender mounts to space them off the frame
6. make new box to replace roof top carrier
7. make jack so it will rotate 90ยบ
8. finish painting trailer