Skip to main content

Topic: Offical AR type rifle thread (Read 30688 times) previous topic - next topic

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Offical AR type rifle thread
Reply #20

I've been looking at the Colt m4 22lr ops. I know is a great gun, but a friend that knows way more about guns than I do said to get the S&W that the Colts don't work well. Anyone know of any problems with the Colts? And, where is a good place to buy one on the cheap?
the Colts don't use a ciener conversion type magazine so you would be stuck with what you get from the factory. there are a lot of ciener style .22's that use magazines from many different manufacturers and the prices are going down on those too. cmmg and black dog make the best and cheapest magazines. 
I can't go in the deep end of the sandbox. That's where the Leprechaun lives. He told me to burn things.
- Ralph Wiggam

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #21
I wouldn't mind having a .22 kit for mine. That stuff is almost free compared to the .223/5.56 stuff.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jtaj77

• woodchuck
  • [*][*]
Reply #22
That's not that big of a deal to me. I'm sure soon enough someone will make an aftermarket mag. for it maybe. Anything else you can think of the might be wrong with Colt? 
How much wood could a woods jeep chunk if a woods jeep could chuck wood?!

• dogman
  • [*]
Colt m4 .22= fail
Reply #23
I have carried a Colt Defender daily for 19 years and owned several Colt m4s with .22 coversion kits and they are as good as it gets but the .22M4 is a umarex action in a plastic shell they are cheap knock offs that I cant believe Colt put their name on. The best tactical semi out there is the Sig 522 get one you wont regret it!
The Real American Bulldog LWB 1.9 TD

• woodchuck
  • [*][*]
Reply #24
That sucks! They look great, to bad they suck. I was hoping to get my son a very cool rifle for his first gun. What about the S&W M&P 22lr?

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
My 1st .22 AR was a PC lower for $125 and a Velocity $irearms upper for $335. It is nice because if I ever grow tired of it I can sell the upper and put whatever caliber upper I want on it. The Sig, Colt, S&W and Mossbergs you can't do that.
I can't go in the deep end of the sandbox. That's where the Leprechaun lives. He told me to burn things.
- Ralph Wiggam

• dogman
  • [*]
Reply #26
The S&W MP15.22 is good to go but Zukitoughs answer is the best bang for your buck a regular AR with a conversion kit or a dedicated .22 top end is essentially two rifles in one and when your son gets older he can switch to centerfire in many calibers and configurations the versatility of the AR is hard to beat.
The Real American Bulldog LWB 1.9 TD

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #27

My 1st .22 AR was a PC lower for $125 and a Velocity $irearms upper for $335. It is nice because if I ever grow tired of it I can sell the upper and put whatever caliber upper I want on it. The Sig, Colt, S&W and Mossbergs you can't do that.
That would be a good option because the gun can grow with him.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #28
ok got my handguard back from a friend. I need to get my comp timed but I just had to weigh it. 1.67 kgs. I couldn't figure out how to change the units of measurement on this fish scale so I used my Droid converter. It comes out to 3.68 lbs or 58.90 ounces! It will be a few ounces less once I get off me burro and submit paperwork to register as an SBR. Might even break the 3lb mark. The barrel is the heaviest part by far at 23 ounces. One off comp work too made by another friend. I still plan to mill the buttplate as well.

- Ralph Wiggam

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #29
Why didn't you just build it as a pistol? You don't really need a stock on a .22lr. It's gonna look sweet as a SBR

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #30
because accuracy is beter as a rifle and because no one has done an AR .22 this light yet durable. I had an extra lower so I said why not. Now I think I can get it sub 3 lbs. Great for a pack rifle. I can unscrew the handgaurd and disassemble the rifle easily.
- Ralph Wiggam

• jtaj77
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • The Japanese tourist
Reply #31
It just sucks you have to spend $200 just to run a stock.  ???

I haven't shot mine but i did pick up a 30 round pmag, magpul iphone case and a 5.11 gun belt for $30.  ;D ;D

Reply #32
i bought the Colt M4 22lr.  Though you can tell its not the true craftmanship of a COLT AR.  Its still a great gun.  very accurate still, fun to shoot and just a great all around gun.  I have no complaints for the price.  I bought it to teach my nephews to shoot and its great because it has the look, feel, and function of a true AR.  Would recommend to anybody
We are making progress.

• onedesertdog
  • [*][*][*]
  • Zu Crew
  • Honorary Member, Krew-Krawlers. Desert Division
Reply #33
I kind of wish I would have gotten the M4 instead of the M16 .22lr, just because of the looks.
  But, I like the feel of the M16.
Yours came with the 20 rd. mag?
   I hate the idea of  having to pay 40 bucks for a 20 or 30 rd. mag. Shame they don't have a aftermarket mag for them.

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #34

I kind of wish I would have gotten the M4 instead of the M16 .22lr, just because of the looks.
  But, I like the feel of the M16.
Yours came with the 20 rd. mag?
   I hate the idea of  having to pay 40 bucks for a 20 or 30 rd. mag. Shame they don't have a aftermarket mag for them.
sell it and get a different .22. The colts have a big following and u should easily sell it. Go for a ciener type. Mags can be had as low as 9.99. Thought the stock may be interchangeable with a collapsable one. Let me find out.
- Ralph Wiggam

• woodchuck
  • [*][*]
Reply #35
From what I have gathered, the Colt 22 and the H&K 22 are the nearly same (as far as the internals go). They are "replicas" of the real things designed in Germany by Carl Walther. They are also built in Germany by Umarex (spelling may be off). The question's are; are they true AR's?  Are they good semi auto 22lr? Can you put a true AR 22lr conversion together yourself for what you pay for these "replicas" as a beginner AR enthusiast?

• woodchuck
  • [*][*]
Reply #36
And, no I am not arguing with yalls knowledge. I am just gathering as much info as I can from knowledgeable folks as possible. For a 22lr SA that I hear can shoot 300 to 400 rounds without a jam is very impressive to me. But, I don't know what AR's with conversions can do either.

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #37
I recommend a standard AR lower with either a CMMG conversion in a 5.56 upper(that way you have 2 rifles in one) or a standard AR lower with a .22LR dedicated upper. Either way you have flexibility of future conversions/calibers and they both have proven reliability. And you have a real AR which has a huge aftermarket.
- Ralph Wiggam

• woodchuck
  • [*][*]
Reply #38
What would it cost to do it that way with decent parts?

• zukitough
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
It can be done sub $600
- Ralph Wiggam