Skip to main content

Topic: Building a Rat Rod... (Read 28136 times) previous topic - next topic

• catfishblues
  • [*]
  • Central Carolina Zuks
Re: Building a Rat Rod...
Reply #40
Man, I can't wait to see this on the frame!  ;D
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear. HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall. TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

• catfishblues
  • [*]
  • Central Carolina Zuks
Reply #42
So wrong, yet so right.  ;)
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear. HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall. TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

• Workamper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #43
I'm probably in the minority here, but I was kind of hoping to see you restore it to stock condition, like the 1931 Model A Ford my Uncle Floyd out in Oregon had...

I still have to admire your skill though, Jon [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #44
If the original engine, transmission, rear axle, interior, wheels, etc., etc. would have been with it, I may have put it back original... I would have had a fortune (if I could ever find any of it) in the original parts for it, and it wouldn't be worth half of what I had in it. Besides, I probably wouldn't have bought it if it was complete. I did sell most of the original stuff that I wasn't planning on using, to help others that were trying to restore theirs to original... I bought it to build a rat rod, so....  8)

Thanks for the comps!

Reply #45
Why did you stretch the front rails so far ? I realize that a lot of Rat Rods go that route...but I'm a shorter wheelbase guy. Anyway...it is awesome ! Long or short !  ;D

Bob [whitesamside]
Zukless in Florida

Ham and eggs... A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig. (how true)

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #46
Gotta have enough room for that big block... and a radiator.... Plus, I like the way it looks.  ;D thanks!

Reply #47
love the project man !

I would love to see someone do a hot/rat rod with a small 4cyl or something similar, that way it could look cool and get good mpg to be driven more.

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #48
Thanks! I SERIOUSLY thought about a 4cylinder/ 5-speed.... Decided I gotta have that V-8 sound though.

I whittled some mounts out of 3/16" plate...

And, the rest is pretty self-explanitory....

I ordered heim joints, spacers and tube adapters for the front suspension (quarter-elliptical)... They should be here for the weekend!

• rustyzuk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #49
lookin' good!! [thumbsup]
breakin' parts for 30 years, gettin, better
96 4 door, stick, toy axles 5.71 34"ltbs

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #50
Thanks rustyzuk!

The front suspension is basically done... I'll add some gussets and do a little trimming when I break it down for finish welding/ paint.

It took me awhile to figure out the front suspension mounts... I ended up making a cross-section (drawing) of the I beam and made all of my brackets off of that. The mount goes all the way around the beam and ties back into itself on the other side. Probably overkill, but I know it will be good.

Half of the original DB front leaf packs... I had to add another leaf to get a slight positive arch.

The DB supporting itself once again...

As I said before, I'll be trimming up the mounts/ brackets and adding a few gussets when I blow it apart for finish work.

ON TO THE DRIVESHAFT TUNNEL!!!

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #51
Of course I had to chop the grille shell and play around with the headlights a bit...

Not sure which one I like better, the high mount lights.... or the low mount.

• red-dragon
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Have you seen my money?
Reply #52
Looking good. I like the looks of the low mount, not sure how that affects your visibility though.

• samurota
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Krew-Krawlers Mountain Division
Reply #53
 I can't remember the exact years but if that is a 64 ford axle, The later 70s ford pickup disc brakes will fit that axle if I remember correctly. I did some research on it once and the king pins are the same size and the spindles will purty much bolt right on with the disc brake. It has been a while but I think I am right if you are interested in doing disc brakes.

Reply #54
low mounts do look little better with the chopped stance.

• Whitfield
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I make NOMEX
Reply #56
Cool project ~ great work thus far. . .

+1 for High mount

Bump stops would be cheap insurance just in case.

• Workamper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #58

That is one kooool vehicle..... [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #59
I've been working on the DB again!

The rear suspension is done!
Ride height (there is about 2 or 3 more inches of "up" for speedbump mode... lol)

Aired out...

Also finished up the transmission crossmember...