Skip to main content

Topic: Building a Rat Rod... (Read 27977 times) previous topic - next topic

• Suyota
  • [*]
  • SM4x4ZC
Re: Building a Rat Rod...
Reply #20
Me like..Looks solid also.  8)
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #21
Well, life happens.

Been really busy and haven't had time to work on it, so I've been concentrating on getting ready for winter. As soon as it's too cold outside to do anything else, I'll be firing up the furnace in the garage and throwing sparks!  8)

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #22
Here's what I have been doing for the past couple months...

Needed a doorway...

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #23
Here's the mess I started with, inside...

Some random pics along the way...

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #27
Finishing up the mechanical room (furnace and air compressor), mowing the grass one more time and winterizing the house, lawnmowers, tractors etc and it will be time to build the Dodge!  ;D
  • Last Edit: Saturday, Oct 09, 2010, 11:49 PM by bell

• txgocart
  • [*][*]
Reply #28
nice

Ray

• john539
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #29
wow man that was a lot of work ,. i mean a lot of work. youll be glad you did it when it gets COLD. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RAT ROD. ;)

• VB Bryan
  • [*]
Reply #30
thats awesome! once i finish my current project ('51 Chevy Deluxe) I want to do a 30's roadster! 

I plan on going more period correct, and thinking Buick Nailhead powered.   8)

kudos!
i look really old, but it's all a big hoax.

• ridered
  • [*][*]
Reply #31
thats a awesome atleast you were doing something , it will be alot nicer to work now, very nice job

i had an old wheelhorse, i loved it till i found her replacement.

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #32
Thanks guys!
Bryan, that will be AWESOME! Gotta love the nailheads!!!  8)

A small update... I trenched in (by hand/ shovel) a 60' gas line from the house to the garage. WOW, what a job. Fought tree roots the whole way.
Anyhow, the mechanical room is coming along nicely. I will be insulating/ sheeting it the first part of next week. Then, I'll hook up the furnace, run the ducting and piping for the air compressor...

Been slowly gathering parts for the Dodge inbetween construction projects...
Got these vintage Edelbrock valve covers... Who in their right mind would use something this cool as "masking" for the rocker arms? They will clean up nice though. I'm going to bead blast them and polish the tops of the ribs and Edelbrock script...

And, the best part...
A Offenhauser 3x2 intake...

• VB Bryan
  • [*]
Reply #33
 [smiley=eek2.gif] nice finds!
i look really old, but it's all a big hoax.

• weed
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
 Hey Jon! ain't been around in a while and ran across this, Nice Work! --  as usual!! ;) ;D
Weed

• Suyota
  • [*]
  • SM4x4ZC
Reply #35
Hey Jon
Shop is lookin good and good find on the parts. Any updates?
Have started a build also, check it out: http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,113961.0.html

Lookin foward to seeing this project.
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #36
Thanks guys!

No updates, but I'm going to start on it again pretty soon. As soon as I get my tax check, I'll be ordering the front axle, brakes, etc...  8)

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #37
I decided to go a different route on the front axle... I ended up getting a '64 ford f-100 axle that matches the bolt pattern on the new wheels... 20" steel, Dodge Ram spares.

In the past couple months, I somehow managed to get the new axles/ wheels and tires under it for a little motivation... Been REALLY busy around here.

It's now in the shop and the build is in full swing.... I'm on vacation until Monday!

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #38
My garage floor is FAR from flat and level, so today I built a frame table. Perfectly level, flat and square! Starting on the frame in the morning!!!

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #39
Well, I spent the day, yesterday, cutting, grinding and welding... and every muscle in my body hurts, but I think it was worth the effort.

The frame is basically done. I just tacked the crossmembers, as I'm sure they'll need to be moved a bit, and I'm going to fishplate the joints.... But, it's done enough to get on with mounting the body, engine placement, etc.

Just before I cut it loose from the table...

Ready for axles and mockup suspension... (already in progress)