Skip to main content

Topic: Building a Rat Rod... (Read 28136 times) previous topic - next topic

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Building a Rat Rod...
I have been wanting to build a Rat Rod for quite some time... I started one YEARS ago, using a 1936 GMC pickup, but I didn't know enough about fabricating stuff back then to make it a success...

I was browsing Craigslis the other night and found the PERFECT platform for a family-friendly Rat... A 1927 Dodge Brothers 124. The guy was interested in trading, so I ended up trading a tractor for it.

The wife, kids and I picked it up Monday morning!

How cool is this pic? The Magnum is the same version of the old DB, only about 80 years newer...   8)

Coming off the trailer...

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Re: Building a Rat Rod...
Reply #1
The front wheels were long gone... (21" solid steel) And there is virtually nothing out there to match the 5 on 6-1/2" bolt pattern, so I modified a set of Samurai wheels to fit it, for rolling it around. I wish I had the original wheels, they would DEFINATELY be going back on it, with some wide whites.

After an afternoon of altitude adjustment, it's starting to look a little better.   8)

This is (within 1") the suspension height I'm after. I will probably be doing a buggy leaf in the front and the same in the back. I will be channeling the body 3 or 4 inches, to mostly cover the frame rails and to get it a little closer to the ground. Then, I will chop 3 or 4 inches out of the top. That should put the roof line at about 48" to 50".

I am on the hunt for a late model Dodge Dakota, Ram, Magnum, Charger, etc... with either a 4.7 V8 or a 5.7 Hemi for the Engine, harness, transmission and possibly the rear axle.

Reply #4
Wow Jon, Thats gonna be sweet! I gotta say though... Everytime I look at the before pics I get flashbacks of the Munstermobile. ;D

I salute you Sir!

• crispin
  • [*]
  • SM4x4ZC
Reply #5
I want a rat rod so much as well.
Good luck with it.
88.5 Sammy - woods truck
95 Tracker - weekend truck

• rustyzuk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Cool, man I know guys who would kill for bodies that clean! every thing around here rusts away, heck a car body from 1984 is a good find, imagine a 27!   rats are hip right now, at least around here. I'm just finishing up painting an old school rod shop sign on a rat 31 ford delivery for a friend. 350 horse 327 with tri power with 4 speed auto. I donnno about a new hemi in there, kinda kills the rat spirit, you know, the found in the barn, left for dead, and fixed for no money spirit. but what do I know...... ;)
breakin' parts for 30 years, gettin, better
96 4 door, stick, toy axles 5.71 34"ltbs

• Whitfield
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I make NOMEX
Reply #7
Cool project... I'm not much of a rod fan but I'm into fabrication what ever it happens to be on.   Nice find ~ and x2 on the old dodge + new dodge.

Less time more $$$ = Newer / less troublesome components.

While I can apreciate an older carbed solid lift V-8 4-spd.  The EFI auto ac adds a nice degree of maint free power to the project.  Especially one like this where their is so much that needs to be done else where. 

Can you explain the roof for those of us who are clueless ~ OE targa?
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010, 10:51 AM by Whitfield

• Workamper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I can't wait to see that thing when you're done with it..... I know what a terrific job you do on the old tractors. I couldn't help but notice the picture below, with the Yellow & Black Illinois License Plate. I remember that, for about 3 years when I was a kid, IL & WI had almost Identical License plates, and it drove the police nuts !  If I remember correctly, IL had this one, and WI used one with Brown letters instead of Black, so often times, the Police accidentally pulled over a local person, instead of the evil Illinois tourist they loved to harass..... ;D

Be sure to hang onto the plate..... To certain collectors, It's worth almost as much as the Dodge is, and that one isn't even bent up   [thumbsup]

• Whitfield
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I make NOMEX
Reply #9
think the plate says Indiana on the bottom ...  :-X
  • Last Edit: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010, 06:47 PM by Whitfield

• Workamper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10

think the plate says Indiana ...  :-X

Nope, it says Illinois on top (it's from the 60's or 70's I think, but I can't read the year...), and on the bottom, it says "Land of Lincoln"

If it was from Indiana, it would say "Land of huge Wind Turbines" or "Land of the Tractor God" ,  or some other such nonsense.... ::) ;D

• Whitfield
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I make NOMEX
Reply #11
Looks like you know your stuff...   This one is selling for under $20

• Workamper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
I tried blowing the picture up, but that just made it blurry, so I got out my Magnifying glass to look at the picture. I THINK the plate is from 1978......  but I really couldn't see it very well, even with my magnifying glass.

It's a different plate design than the 1992 one you found, as the top seems to read

19  Illinois  78

and the bottom has the Land of Lincoln on it. Your plate has the two reversed.

The last I knew, Illinois was issuing a new plate every year, rather than just a year sticker like other states do, because it helped with the TERRIBLE auto theft problem in the Chicago area.... Wisconsin issues new plates every 7 yrs (for the regular renewal fee), with a $5 fee to replace any plate sooner, if it gets mangled by a snowbank or moose.

When I saw the IL plate I wasn't surprised, because for some reason, I thought Bell lived in Crown Point, IN, which is just across the border from the Chicago metro area, but now I see it's Center Point, which I believe is near Terre Haute, and Panzer.....

About 2 years ago, I briefly worked at the KOA Kampground just down the road from him....

• Whitfield
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • I make NOMEX
Reply #13
Bell ~ how do you weed thru the spare parts and throw away stuff.

You have way way too many restoration projects under your belt to not have a scrap yard of spare pieces laying around some where.

But every time I see yard pics it is always clean & neat with no junk exposed for the public to see... 

My place looks like sanford and son 80 - 90 % of the time.  I can't throw anything away. 

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #14
Well, it's a delicate balancing act... I like my yard to look nice, and I don't have much of a yard anyhow... I just try to keep things organized and sell off what I'm not going to need immediately. It's easier than storing it, and usually cheaper.

The plate is from 1975 and (from what I was told) was the last time it was on the road.

Mike, the top was a wooden framed with chicken wire/ burlap/ padding/ and vinyl-ish covering... I have a plan for the top, AFTER the channel and chop is done.  8)

• bell
  • [*]
  • Zuk Mob
  • WHEEL HORSE JUNKIE!!!
Reply #15
I've been planning, gathering parts, etc... so I haven't made any real progress yet.

Got the floor out of the way... In the next week or so, I'll pull the steering column/ box and brace the body for the channel. I plan on doing the channel next weekend. Going with a 4 or 5 inch channel and a 4" chop.

Picked up the engine and transmission last night... A 70's 400 Mopar with a 727 auto. A big thanks to Jeremy and Logan for helping me get the engine...

• Workamper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #18

Ready for the weekend!!!!  ;D

[move]
TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES !!     WE NEED TO SEE PICTURES !!     TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES !!     IT DOESN'T COUNT WITHOUT PICTURES !!     TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES !!    ;D ;D ;D  [/move]

• ridered
  • [*][*]
Reply #19
no more pics? what happens to yourguys threads? they just die