Author Topic: Thermostat housing bolts broke- What now?  (Read 7536 times)

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
OK, due to my overheat/overflow problem I decided to replace the thermostat.  Got parts.  Removed hose, and began removing bolts in housing.  Broke one off at the head.  Oh well, may as well try the other.  Broke that one too!  They appear to made of aluminum.  Is that right?  Should I try to drill them out and re-tap the threads?  Do I have any other choices?  Any help/experience with will be appreciated

Jeff
May God bless and keep you always, May your wishes all come true, May you always do for others, and let others do for you. May you stay forever young.            Bob Dylan

Offline jamies85sj410

• Trail Leader
Try a little bit of heat on the bolt & a new pair of visegrips
WHY HAVE A 1.3  WHEN U CAN HAVE FUN WITH A 7000 R.P.M. - 1.0 SJ410

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
OK, thanks.  I have not taken the housing off yet, so the bolts are broken off about 1/8 inch below the top of the housing.  I thought about spraying some solvent in the holes and after a while trying to remove the housing by prying with a knife or flat screwdriver at the gasket. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Jeff
May God bless and keep you always, May your wishes all come true, May you always do for others, and let others do for you. May you stay forever young.            Bob Dylan

Offline ScotY

• Zukaholic
If the bolt heads are broken clean off, shouldn't you be able to pull the cover right off the intake manifold?  The bolts should be steel, not aluminum.???  Hopefully, there's enough left to grab with visegrips.  If the bolts broke that easily, heat would probably be a good idea.  Good luck...sounds like a pain in the butt for what should have been an easy job.

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
The bolt heads are broken clean off, so  I would think the cover would come right off if the threads are in the manifold and the top half of the bolts do not have threads.  I have pulled on the cover a little, but now am a little gun shy about pulling too hard.  I sprayed it down with WD-40 and will try again. 

If anyone else has some input I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jeff

Offline jamies85sj410

• Trail Leader
The housing should come off  .. The bolts corrode that's probily y they broke .. Heat the bolt or oil them . Take your time work them back & forth they should come out if not your going to have to drill & retap the holes  :-\\\\

Offline ScotY

• Zukaholic
Yeah, it should come right off.  Probably the gasket is stuck, maybe whoever put it on used some sealer or something.  Wiggle gently, maybe stick a skinny screwdriver in where the gasket is to get it started.

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
OK, guys. Thanks.  I wil try that.

Jeff

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
Success!   Insert flat screwdriver at gasket, tap, wiggle, tap, wiggle,    repeat and the housing cover came off.  I am not soaking the bolts with WD 40 for a while to try to remove them.

Thanks to everyone.

Wonder where I can get some new bolts.

Jeff

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
Broken bolts out too!   WD-40 to loosen, New-ish vice grips, work back and forth and with patience they both came out. 

Thanks again to all.  I was really worried about this earlier this afternoon.  You guys gave me the confidence to complete the job.  Just need 2 new bolts now.

Thanks

Jeff

Offline Bluezuki87

• Locked Up
that happened to me too, except mine broke inside the manifold. i had to heat and easy out ine to get them out. picked up some bolts at the local hardware store.
87 Suzuki Samurai. Rebuilt 1.3, 32/36 weber, 2 inch exhaust, Soft top, SPOA, 5 pack leaf spring up front, 33" M/T on 15x10 Barts

Offline Rebel Zuk

• I live here!
Future reference.....get yourself some PB Blaster penetrating oil...Works ALOT better than WD40.
Morris Mountain ORV Park AL X17
River Rock ORV Park GA X2
Grey Rock ORV Park AL X2
Tellico ORV Park TN/NC X1
Coal Creek ORV Park TN X1

Offline skyhiranger

• Zu Crew
  • Various Tracker/Sidekick parts for sale....PM me.
Also, if the bolt breaks off below the surface, you can take a nut, place it over the bolt and use a wire welder to weld the nut to the broken off bolt (just don't get it too hot, or you could melt the aluminum....and that would be really bad).  The heat from the welding usually breaks the corrosion and you can easily turn the broken off bolt out via the new welded on nut.  I have removed several broken bolts by welding a nut onto them.
Samurais...86,87x3,88x3,88.5x6,90,91,92x3
Sidekicks...89x2,90,91,94x3,95,96
Trackers...90x4,91,92x3,93x3,94x5,95x2,96,97
Sold...88.5 Samurai; 89x2,92x2,93x2,96x2 Sidekicks; 91,94x2,98 Trackers

Offline jamies85sj410

• Trail Leader
Cool I'm glad that worked for u !!!

Offline Freebird01

• Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil
  • Zuki Guru
  • If your gunna be dumb you gotta be tough! - R.A.W.
Future reference.....get yourself some PB Blaster penetrating oil...Works ALOT better than WD40.

absolutly...or kroil if you can find it...

the local farm supply has another type of stuff ive been meaning to try from CRC but i forget the name...i dont get out there much.

i typicall use PB blaster. works good for starting fires too lol
RCROCs 2009!! My new Team Sponser!!! Team #416 Biohazard offroad

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
Thanks to everybody!   Got the new thermostat installed and no more overheating.  Also, I do use PB blaster, but used up the can on a old trailer rebuild recently.  Had wd40 on hand.

Jeff

Offline Merlin93

• Dr. Off-Road
This is one of those places where a steel bolt in an aluminum manifold, surrounded by water leads to galvanic corrosion. Seems to me that this is an ideal place for  stainless steel  bolts, if you don't want to have to mess with it next time. This is not a high-strength application, so ordinary stainless steel should be adequate.  (It's what I did.) 

Offline sammy77

• SM4x4ZC
  • i'm not leaking oil, im lubricating my front axle
i was gonna suggest the "weld a nut to the bolt idea" which works very well but has already been suggested. i dont use wd40 or pb blaster. i only use jb80 (justice brothers-WORK TWICE AS GOOD AS WD-40) with my buddy being the eastern tn distributor he'd kill me if i didnt  lol  great stuff though
it's gonna be a good year, its gonna be a good year, its gonna be a good year! if u repeat it enuff it will happen...right?