Author Topic: Optima battery tech (Date code & voltage)  (Read 7489 times)

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
Found this info while looking for how to read an Optima date battery code.

I called Optima today and explained that I bought a new 75/25 with a date code of 4208 and it's off the shelf OCV (open circuit voltage) read 10.48 volts. They said any Optima off the shelf should read at least 12.4 volts, and that 12.8 v was the highest OCV a Redtop can achieve.

I asked how to read the date code, and Optima said the first digit is the year, and the next 3 digits the Julian date. So a date code of 4208 means it was made on the 208th day of 2004. This equates to early July, 2004. This was the date code of the dead Optima I bought, so it was about 4 months old.

So I took it back to where I bought it and this time brought my voltmeter! ... should have the first time  They had 3 more 75/25 Redtops there, so I measured all 3 and they all had an OCV = 12.6 volts. I had 1 in 4 change of picking the dead on and succeeded.  So I grabbed the one with the latest date code and exchanged it for the dead one. The guy took the dead one in the back and threw it on the charger ... probably going to charge it up and put it back on the shelf. I told him that Optima tech said it's probably defective if it went completely dead in 4 months on the self ... guess he didn't care. Some poor guy will probably get a bum battery somewhere down the line.

So my advice to anyone going shopping for an Optima is to read the date code and also bring a DC voltmeter to read the OCV before taking it home!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline BLKZUKI

• Krew Krawlers Mountain Division,Bullrider and Samurai Driver, Falls Dam clean up crew
  • Zuwharrie Addict
good info.....ive had mine for over a year now... mine sits alot and i have a quick disconnect  so it doesnt drain its self....

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
Anyone know where to get the best deal on an optima?

The Marine batter I'm after retails for $200+

Offline BLKZUKI

• Krew Krawlers Mountain Division,Bullrider and Samurai Driver, Falls Dam clean up crew
  • Zuwharrie Addict
Anyone know where to get the best deal on an optima?

The Marine batter I'm after retails for $200+
ive noticed around here that differant advance auto parts ...there prices are a lil differant than the other ones.... once my redtop dies im getting a yellow one..

Offline ScotY

• Zukaholic
I asked how to read the date code, and Optima said the first digit is the year, and the next 3 digits the Julian date. So a date code of 4208 means it was made on the 208th day of 2004. This equates to early July, 2004. This was the date code of the dead Optima I bought, so it was about 4 months old.

Hey, did I miss something?  Isn't it 2009 now?  ;D  I had to look at the posting date to make sure, but it says it was posted today.  ???  In any case, thanks for the tip!  I always wonder how long stuff has been sitting on the shelf.

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
Found the post while searching on another site...  Thus the 2004...   

Looked like the info was worth sharing.