Author Topic: 06 XL7: Convert from 2WD to 4WD  (Read 2130 times)

Offline zukn00b

• Dr. Off-Road
If I get the parts from a doner XL7 is it that simple?

We have an 06 2WD in Utah and it isn't cutting it during the winter....
87 built sammi

Offline ack

• Zukaholic
  • Professional Ask Hole
It would probably be easier to sell/trade for a 4wd XL7.

Parts will be hideously expensive

Finding a suitable donor will be very hard.  VERY hard.  People tend to take care of newer cars so you won't find many in the salvage yards except if they have been wrecked.  A wrecked XL7 may not have very many good parts on it for you to use.

You'd need a shop manual and a WARM garage bay full of tools.

I'm a tinkerer on automobiles - but this sounds like a project whose results will not meet your needs/expectations/budget.

In this economy, I bet that your local Suzuki dealer will be more than happy to give you a great deal on a new/used XL7 - assuming that you have good credit.
Ack
'88 Samurai, '88 Samurai tintop, '11 Ford Transit Connect

Ack's FAQ

Offline Isaiah

• Zukaholic
Are you doing a solid axle swap, or just want to swap in the stock 4WD IFS?
1 Corinthians 13:4

Offline ajbiglin

• Sr. Wheeler
I secont the first guy.  I looked a converting my dodge like that and it would have cost me more than the vehicle was worth.

Offline zukn00b

• Dr. Off-Road
Well I was hoping it wasn't as hard as all that.  I had a 98 Sidekick that I got the A/C and Power Steering parts for, then added them to my non A/C or Power Steering Kick.

Trouble around here is no one wants to touch my XL7 with a ten foot pole because it's 2WD and it snows here every winter, in fact its snowing a ton right now.

I went to one dealer and wanted to trade it and they said they would give me $7200 for it .........

I owe $16500 and its the top of the line (leather, sunroof, everything but 4WD) 06 with 20K miles on it, so needless to say I wasn't too happy.
87 built sammi

Offline zukn00b

• Dr. Off-Road
Are you doing a solid axle swap, or just want to swap in the stock 4WD IFS?

Stock IFS Swap
87 built sammi

Offline IanL

• Zukaholic
Not sure if it's possible for an XL7, but perhaps you should consider putting a locker in the differential instead. 

Quite a few people with lockers have said that it's better than 4WD in a lot of situations.

Offline zukn00b

• Dr. Off-Road
Where would I go to find that, is it hard, and will it void my warranty?

I am going to put Snow tires on it tomorrow (rear only) and a few 50Lb bags of salt in the back to weigh it down.

Last year we had street tires on it and weight in the back and it didnt do too bad.  The gas pedal is touchy though so its really squirrely on ice.
87 built sammi

Offline IanL

• Zukaholic

Offline ack

• Zukaholic
  • Professional Ask Hole
Ian has a pretty good idea there with an ARB air locker.

It'll give you the traction of a locked rear differential with the ability to engage and disengage it at will from inside the truck.

It would be a lot cheaper than a conversion (though more expensive than what us CHEEP Samurai owners would spend) and might add value to the truck considering where it is located. Just about any offroad dealer in your area should be able to quote you a price on installation.

I have owned one truck with externally controlled lockers (1973 Pinzgauer 710M military truck) and it really helps to be able to lock an axle when you need to.
Ack

Ack's FAQ

Offline jagular7

• Wheeler
Stock IFS Swap

Check with your local dealers and the one you bought it from, but if you are worried about the warranty, you may be voiding it with any driveline change. Check that first before you even consider the cost of things. Oh, it will be costly.

If you want to go completely stock as from the factory, you'll need everything from the donor vehicle - shafts, trans, tcase, shifter, console, rubber boots, diff, axles, computer, maybe air pump, spindles, knuckles. Not sure how the 06 is mfrd for 4wd, but my 02 has the computer tied so the dash lights up when the air pump engages the slide collar in the diff housing. I mentioned spindle and knuckles because again, I don't know how the 2wd varies from the 4wd version. Many rear wheel drive vehicles have the front spindle integrated with the knuckle. Course, 4wd has a hole in the knuckle for the front axle shaft and most of the time, the spindle is bolted onto the knuckle.

Best thing to do is look at selling it after the winter and probably still at a loss, or to a relative in better settings for its use.
Jagular7
Lenexa, KS

Come visit: http://www.ksrockspark.com

Offline ajbiglin

• Sr. Wheeler
You could always get a older 4x4 for driving in the winter and keep the 2wd for the summer.

Offline blacknight

• Trail Leader
Not sure if it's possible for an XL7, but perhaps you should consider putting a locker in the differential instead. 

Quite a few people with lockers have said that it's better than 4WD in a lot of situations.

Too bad no one makes locker for the XL-7's.  I know that ARB lists one but it won't work. 

Offline IanL

• Zukaholic
Too bad no one makes locker for the XL-7's.  I know that ARB lists one but it won't work. 

It says to fit the Sidekick 3rd member - are you saying you can't do that?

Offline blacknight

• Trail Leader
just what it said, it fits a sidekick 3rd not an XL-7.  The rear 3rd on the xl-7 is almost8.5in R&P vs the 7.5 of the GV and sidekick. If you have a Grand Vitara you can swap in  a sidekick rear and be on your way.  I have a pic some place of all 3 3rds side by side I will try and find it and post it up for you. I really wish that they made on that works for the XL because I would have it.

Offline zukn00b

• Dr. Off-Road
Sigh, what a headache this truck is becoming.....
87 built sammi

Offline Jeremiah

• Zukaholic
I owe $16500 and its the top of the line (leather, sunroof, everything but 4WD) 06 with 20K miles on it, so needless to say I wasn't too happy.

For $16,500, one could get the off-road version of the Nissan Xtera with e-lockers and other goodies. Gets the same gas mileage, and has the world renound VQ series V6 4.0L 264 hp and 284 ft·lbf  :-\\\\
1983 SJ410, 1.3L SPOA on 31"
1996 4 door, 235/75/15 Dakota M/T, OME 1.5" Lift
1996 Geo Prizm
2008 Yamaha FZ6

Offline ack

• Zukaholic
  • Professional Ask Hole
just what it said, it fits a sidekick 3rd not an XL-7.  The rear 3rd on the xl-7 is almost8.5in R&P vs the 7.5 of the GV and sidekick. If you have a Grand Vitara you can swap in  a sidekick rear and be on your way.  I have a pic some place of all 3 3rds side by side I will try and find it and post it up for you. I really wish that they made on that works for the XL because I would have it.

Bummer!
Ack

Ack's FAQ

Offline blacknight

• Trail Leader

Offline zukn00b

• Dr. Off-Road
For $16,500, one could get the off-road version of the Nissan Xtera with e-lockers and other goodies. Gets the same gas mileage, and has the world renound VQ series V6 4.0L 264 hp and 284 ft·lbf  :-\\\\

It's not like I have that option.  I bought this truck NEW in 2007 for 20K (8K below sticker).

The problem is that Suzuki's hold value about as well as a giant rock floats in a lake.

Besides, there are a lot of options in the 16,500 range.  I'd buy another Tahoe.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 15, 2008, 11:38:35 PM by zukn00b »
87 built sammi