Author Topic: 235/75/15 tire = 30/9.50/15  (Read 37013 times)

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
Tire conversion charts show 235/75/15 tire to be 30 inches tall.   An exact match to a 30 9.50 15 shows 241/80/15.   Has anyone actually compared the 235/75/15 to a 30/9.50/15 tire?

What are the real differences in size.    I seem to be able to find the 235's at a much lower price than the 30/9.50

Thanks

Jeff
May God bless and keep you always, May your wishes all come true, May you always do for others, and let others do for you. May you stay forever young.            Bob Dylan

Offline redidbull

• Geek- Computer and Weather
  • Zu Crew
Actual sizes vary by brand. I have both 235s and 30 x 9.5s and the 30s are taller. I think the 235s are 29 and considerably narrower. Jim

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
Thanks.  The width was my main concern.  That helps.

Jeff
May God bless and keep you always, May your wishes all come true, May you always do for others, and let others do for you. May you stay forever young.            Bob Dylan

Offline redidbull

• Zu Crew
Thanks.  The width was my main concern.  That helps.

Jeff

If I remember tomorrow I will take pix of them side by side. Jim

Offline sammy87

• Zuk Mob
i have 30/950's on the sammi and 235's on the kick the 30's seem taller to me. stock sammy and 30s there aint much room to flex if i do i rub

Offline samurota

• Krew-Krawlers Mountain Division
  • Krew Krawlers
  • Zukimons and Beekillers Paw-Paw
  235's are about an inch smaller depending on the brand. BUT if you can fit a 265 75 15 they are about the same as a 31 and cheaper.

Offline durnzuki

• Zuki Guru
I have two 31's and two 265/85's on  Dylans sammi and there are so close to the same size I cant tell the difference.

Offline redidbull

• Zu Crew
I took some pix of the the 235s and the 30s and there isn't too much difference. 1st pic shows the 235 vs 30 Kumho MT width ,3rd height, and the 2nd is vs a hi tech retread 30. Jim
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 08:55:56 PM by redidbull »

Offline rrednek

• Trail Leader
Wow, thanks for the pictures.  I recently installed 3 inch national/deaver springs with a 1/2 inch lift shackle.  Based on the pics you took, I believe the best thing for me to do is save a little longer and go with the 30/9.50/15 tires.  The 235's are much cheaper, but I don't think I will be satisfied. 

Thanks to all!

Jeff

Offline redidbull

• Zu Crew
Wow, thanks for the pictures.  I recently installed 3 inch national/deaver springs with a 1/2 inch lift shackle.  Based on the pics you took, I believe the best thing for me to do is save a little longer and go with the 30/9.50/15 tires.  The 235's are much cheaper, but I don't think I will be satisfied. 

Thanks to all!

Jeff

No problem. I used the 235s and plan to put them on for the winter. I am much happier too with the 30s. Jim

Offline Merlin93

• Dr. Off-Road
Actual sizes vary by brand. I have both 235s and 30 x 9.5s and the 30s are taller. I think the 235s are 29 and considerably narrower.  Jim 

As JB pointed out, actual sizes vary by brand.  For my tire, the BFG AT/KO (from the BFG website):
235/75R15 = 29.0" x 9.1"  (measured on a 6.5" rim)
30x9.5R15 = 29.5" x 9.4"  (measured on a 7.5" rim) 

This doesn't seem like a huge difference for this model & brand of tire.  Actual section width increases/decreases about 40% of every increase/decrease in rim width for this tire.   That makes these two BFG sizes almost exactly the same width (9.2" or 9.3") on my 7" rims.  I still haven't decided which I really want, but I'm leaning toward bigger, I think ....