Author Topic: How to wire in a large Devilbiss compressor?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Spokerider

• Trail Leader
Ok, I bought a big Devilbiss compressor to replace the anemic 8 gallon one I have........problem is, there is no manual with it, and I'm not sure how to wire this pig into my shop........

1993 Devilbiss 80 gallon, 5 hp compressor. Has a Baldor L1410T motor. Some of the motor specs are as follows........
Frame: 184T
HP: 5
RPM: 1725
Volts: 208-230
Amps:26.3-25
Ph: 1
Hz 60

There are two sets of wires coming from this compressor, one set, a black, white and bare wire from the motor itself, and another similar set of black, white and bare [ smaller guage than the motor wires ] coming from a ?pressure switch.

Does the motor take 220v? Can I just wire a 220v welding plug on to these wires and use my 220v mig welding recepticle?

What about the wires coming from the ?pressure switch.......to a regular 110v recepticle [ or wire to the service panel ]?

When it comes to wiring.......I'm at a loss.
Thanks for the tips,  ;)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 11:54:42 AM by twdcmd »

Offline ZUKIMON

• Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
  • Crawlin' while you were still in diapers!
Motor is a single phase, 220 volt unit. You can run it into your welding oultet, but I am unsure of how the pressure switches are connected. I thought that they ran inline to the motor, but am unsure without having it in front of me. :(

I have a great wife. ;)

Offline Spokerider

• Trail Leader
Zukimon thanks.
The pressure switch [ Furnas MA9432 ] is mounted on some pipe that comes out of the side of the tank. There is also a dial pressure guage on this pipe. The smaller guage wires come from this switch. These two sets of wires [ motor and p. switch ] are all the same length, so origially they must have all gone into a remote elctrical box of some kind.

Also labeled on the motor......"motor not protected - external protection shall be provided in compliance with C.E. code, part 1"  OK, so what does this mean? Protected from what, heat? overload? DoI need to purchase / install some part?

The existing welding recepticle is on a circut breaker of it's own.........thought I might add that.

Offline ZUKIMON

• Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
  • Crawlin' while you were still in diapers!
Don't know how to explain what that means other than.....there is no thermal overload, no contained breaker or fuse, no built in safety what so ever. It's standard really. You should be good to go on just that circuit for the welder.

As for the switch......try to google "compressor pressure switch installation" and see what that turns up. I am not good on this, but it's not that hard to do. :-\\\\
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 11:00:29 AM by ZUKIMON »

I have a great wife. ;)