Author Topic: Anyone run the GSXR carbs from Samuraiguy?  (Read 169640 times)

Offline dakattack

• Dr. Off-Road
  • 87 TINTOP BUILDUP
Shuduck, Is that picture of something already working with turbo forced induction?  That looks like the perfect size to fit under a sammi hood! 
  Aluminum:  I changed my 70/30 steel gas in for 100 percent argon and bought a 1lb spool of alum wire to experiment with my mig welder and see if that will work to weld up a box of some sort....
Loren
Departing hobby and heading for obsession!

Offline Kingpin

• Trail Leader
The aluminum wire won't feed unless you got a spool gun for it.  I think there are other issues, but I can't recall off the top of my head.
'87 Samurai w/stuff

Offline geckocycles

• Zukaholic
You need a pull gun. Al wire won't push from the machine.

Offline chrishussey

• Wheeler
so.. anyone run a snorkel with gixxers yet? what size box should I make ? I'm thinking the same size as the attached pic

I really need the air intake higher, and the cooler air would be nice too

Yes I have a snorkel with the 32mm gsx carbs and the stock bike airbox. My camera is out of commission, I will try to get some pics up here soon.

Offline geckocycles

• Zukaholic
My local bike shop told me some time back that any modifications tothe stock box will make the carbs impossible to get tuned. They are turning much higher RPM's though but the cfm is probably close. I was going to give it a try anyway. Make the box fairly large with a 4" opening and neck it down but have the option to open it back up.

Offline ShuDuck

• Zukaholic
  • still SPUA
Shuduck, Is that picture of something already working with turbo forced induction?  That looks like the perfect size to fit under a sammi hood! 

got the pic from another thread, I think it is a turbointake for a bike

I`m getting a set of these also, to get the intake to fit

Pirate4x4 Scandinavia

05 Jimny A/T
413 tintop. 16v gixxer.
413 k Turbo Diesel

Offline Warpig

• Judgement without feeling, is hatred.
  • Zuki Guru
  • Drill baby Drill!
  • Gmail: Loggerag2002@gmail.com
Since this thing has been stewing for a while I have a few questions.

1.  Are we back to a point where it is a custom make your own intake?  Or has somebody else stepped up and started making manifolds for this carb setup?

2.  Has anyone ever found out what happend to the Samurai Guy?
What an interesting idea, I'm going to give it no thought whatsoever!

Offline dakattack

• Dr. Off-Road
  • 87 TINTOP BUILDUP
Gecko' you want to take this one????
Loren

Offline geckocycles

• Zukaholic
Since this thing has been stewing for a while I have a few questions.

1.  Are we back to a point where it is a custom make your own intake?  Or has somebody else stepped up and started making manifolds for this carb setup?

2.  Has anyone ever found out what happend to the Samurai Guy?
PM sent

I have a SG setup for sale too.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,90751.0.html#bot

Offline kelcrist

• Wheeler

What springs did you use?
Did you grind the weights?
What post did you follow?

quote]

i posted the link a few pages back but here it is again.    it is called "how to defeat Vacuum advance"  im not sure your really "defeating" vacuum advance...........but the mod you do to the distributor gives you good mechanical advance and more overall advance. 

you could look for various springs to go in the distributor but i used Small Block Chevy springs out of a moroso Distributor recurve kit.   came with 3 sets of springs and new weights.  cost me $5 at a local speed shop.  the chevy springs dont exactly fit but the lightest ones are quite a bit lighter than the stock springs and the advance shoots right up there.  i wouldnt say i noticed a huge difference after this mod but i know for sure that i have good mechanical advance. 

this mod is easy to do in about 20 mins if your familiar with pulling the distributor and if you have your parts on hand.   you could also reverse this if you dont like it.   in the area you grind away....you could epoxy or solder material back as it does not spin at distributor speed, it wont go flying away and wreck the insides.

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,91020.0.html

Offline kelcrist

• Wheeler
i dont know why it keeps posting my whole post as a qoute..........but you get the idea........haha

Offline geckocycles

• Zukaholic

What springs did you use?
Did you grind the weights?
What post did you follow?

quote]

i posted the link a few pages back but here it is again.    it is called "how to defeat Vacuum advance"  im not sure your really "defeating" vacuum advance...........but the mod you do to the distributor gives you good mechanical advance and more overall advance. 

you could look for various springs to go in the distributor but i used Small Block Chevy springs out of a moroso Distributor recurve kit.   came with 3 sets of springs and new weights.  cost me $5 at a local speed shop.  the chevy springs dont exactly fit but the lightest ones are quite a bit lighter than the stock springs and the advance shoots right up there.  i wouldnt say i noticed a huge difference after this mod but i know for sure that i have good mechanical advance. 

this mod is easy to do in about 20 mins if your familiar with pulling the distributor and if you have your parts on hand.   you could also reverse this if you dont like it.   in the area you grind away....you could epoxy or solder material back as it does not spin at distributor speed, it wont go flying away and wreck the insides.

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,91020.0.html
I remember reading this. Thanks and sorry.

Offline kelcrist

• Wheeler
no problem. its hard to keep track of all the questions asked on this thread.     im on a few different sites for all the machines i own and this is probably the longest thread ive ever read or posted to..... 

Offline Nevadastars

• Zukaholic
Well, I took my rig over to a mechanic buddy of mines place to have him check it out.  Everything I did was perfect as far as tuning goes.  But it was still running fat and loading up at idle.
He did a check on the cylinders and found not one, but TWO exhaust valves are burnt.  :-[
I have another 1.6 head I am going to take to the machine shop this week and have them rebuild.   I knew I should have at least pulled the head before I installed this motor, but it seemed to run ok in the Sidekick it came out of.   My bud says the bottom end seems fine, so a valve job should be all I need.

Even though it is running sick, he was impressed with the power and response of the 1.6 with 4 carbs.  He also has a Sami and plans on building a manifold for 2 Harley carbs.   

Anyone know how much meat can be taken off the head for more compression?  Jeremy told me these carbs really love compression.
97 Sidekick Sport
155hp 2.3 Aerio powered
RRO 4 1/2" lift
RRO sliders
ZOR winch bumper
Smittybilt XRC8
Spartan locker
245/75/16 Duratracs

Offline dakattack

• Dr. Off-Road
  • 87 TINTOP BUILDUP
try lil black sambo on the pirate board.  He may know...
Loren

Offline ShuDuck

• Zukaholic
  • still SPUA
so.. anyone run a snorkel with gixxers yet?

got it all figured out, making a intake box out of carbon fiber/glass fiber, and with a stock air cleaner box with a K&N filter. maby I should start a new thread on this?

nevadastars: good thing its just burned valves, thats easy to fix, or replace. would really suck if it was the bottom end that was bad. oh and you`ll need to snap a pic of the  dual harleys when he`s done  ;D
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 07:46:56 AM by ShuDuck »
Pirate4x4 Scandinavia

05 Jimny A/T
413 tintop. 16v gixxer.
413 k Turbo Diesel

Offline kelcrist

• Wheeler
you can take off as much meat as the combustion chamber will allow.   you just need to check for piston to valve clearance and keep in mind taking lowering the cylinder head alters valve timing.    i could have similar problems as i went for my new smog check after putting the carbs on.    the reading for fuel mixture went way way down.  passes smog with awesome results,  however the reading for oil contaminants is still off the charts. worn rings.   so the engine runs much cleaner than the stock carb.     

Offline Filarm

Hello I`m from Poland, so sorry for my English but I thing you can understand me...anyway I think about install gsx-r carb in my suzuki samurai....but I don`t know what it`s give me...how much power and torque?? I read this forum and I know samurai are quickly and stronger...what is fuel consumption, engine durability?? How much it`s better to stock carb in 1,3 engine?? And what is comaprison 1,3 engine with gsx carb to 1,6 8v vitara engine?? Can somebody send some film on youtube with samurai with gsx carb in action?? My questions can be stupid for you but in Poland nobody have gsx carb in samurai so I want to be first...it`s no problem to install it for me.

Offline geckocycles

• Zukaholic
Hello I`m from Poland, so sorry for my English but I thing you can understand me...anyway I think about install gsx-r carb in my suzuki samurai....but I don`t know what it`s give me...how much power and torque?? I read this forum and I know samurai are quickly and stronger...what is fuel consumption, engine durability?? How much it`s better to stock carb in 1,3 engine?? And what is comaprison 1,3 engine with gsx carb to 1,6 8v vitara engine?? Can somebody send some film on youtube with samurai with gsx carb in action?? My questions can be stupid for you but in Poland nobody have gsx carb in samurai so I want to be first...it`s no problem to install it for me.
Welcome to the ZU.

I have answered all these questions from your last 4 different emails. You have seen my vids on U-Tube where I answered you.

Maybe you need to hear it from someone else? You keep asking the same questions. Is there some kind of translation issue?

There is vast improvement through out the power band over any other setup......

1.6 will be more powerful. Nothing beats displacement as far as torque goes. 1.3 will rev higher so the top end would be nearly the same on the freeway. I keep up with strong 1.6 16v MPFI and leave the weaker ones.

Maybe you need to hear these same questions answered by someone else?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 07, 2009, 07:10:43 AM by geckocycles »

Offline Filarm

Ok that is all I want to know in this post  ;D thanks