Author Topic: Donor Carb (Toyota Starlet 1300cc)  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
I was cruzing  the junk yard today and ran across a 84 Subaru 1.8L and thought I'd check the carb, No fit...   Need more info.

Well beside it was a clean 1982 Toyota Starlet (2 door hatch back RWD 1300cc 4 cyl Mt)  The carb was an Asian and looked very similar to the sammy carb.  It was very clean and working the linkage it even had fresh gas.  So I brought the carb home and found that it is a direct bolt onto the sammy intake and has a one wire hook up for the fuel shut off.   I'll try to hook it up get more details and take some pictures later this week. 

Anyone else seen one of these or heard of some one using one?

Offline Todd

• Zukaholic
I haven't heard of the swap. Sounds good though.

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
  • Can't keep the monkey off my back!
hey!! That's pretty cool. You need to run the crap outta that thing and see how she does. You might be onto the next "pony carb"  ;)
I am your flag; I was born on June 14th, 1777.  I am the refuge of the world’s oppressed people. I am the silent sentinel of freedom.

Offline Surly

• All good things...
  • Zu Crew
  • I repair Suzuki ECMs! toosurly at gmail dot com
 >:( Dang it! I gave away a Starlet with a bad engine about a year ago... I never thought to look at the carb!  [burried]
I must admit I didn't want to hear what Surly had to say!

Offline ZUKIMON

• Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
  • Crawlin' while you were still in diapers!
I was cruzing  the junk yard today and ran across a 84 Subaru 1.8L and thought I'd check the carb, No fit...   Need more info.

Are you sure of this??? I was told by the guy that I got my Subaru carb from that they were all the same as far as mounting. I know for a fact that my carb came from an '83 1.8 GL wagon, 'cause I pulled it myself.  ;)
BTW, he's got a junkyard full of Toyota's, and Subaru's. That's what he makes a living from, and working on them too.

Bryan, going out to take more pics of my SubaZuki carb swap.

I have a great wife. ;)

Offline norzuki

• The Deer Stalker
  • Zuki Guru
  • R.I.P ART ...... mission complete
  • Gmail: ZubTruk@gmail.com
Leave it to the Mike Man to come up with a sweet swap.

Offline Ballenxj

• Locked Up
I used to own a Starlet. Mine was fuel injected though, and ran pretty darn good.
 A bit of trivia; Did you guys know that the Starlet was commonly prepped and raced in Japan? I still see the odd one still running here and there.
........Bruce

Offline Willc

• Zu Crew
  • Zuwharrie Addict

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
I used to own a Starlet. Mine was fuel injected though, and ran pretty darn good.
 A bit of trivia; Did you guys know that the Starlet was commonly prepped and raced in Japan? I still see the odd one still running here and there.
........Bruce

It is an impressive littel ride.   RWD 4 link with coils,  Nice black and orange buckets.  I looked the carb over a little more today while I swapped a sammy carb to a sammy (Intake on) and the Starlet carb has a factory cable choke....   

I've seen Tims Toyota carb mentione but never any details....

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
look at this 
http://www.northcoastoffroad.com/toycarbinstall.htm

Cool write up.  I'll try to look closer at primary and secondary bore sizes.  I got the Toyota Thermal spacer (No need to modify the sammy one)  and I also got the Toyota fuel line. 

Edit: 3 hrs later...
     The ports in the stock Toyota thermal spacer are a direct match to the stock sammy intake. 

In Tim's article on the Toyota Corolla carb he states that it is a 38/38 and that it gives better bottom end. 

Not to refute his info but everything I've read states that better bottom end throttle responce is noted from smaller primary bores, as they give a better signal to the venturies and produce a more concistant mixture. 

Even reading about the webber for my Toyota they recomend the 32/36 for trail and Daily driver.  They only recomend the 38/38 for extended high RPM aplications  Race / Mud Bog / Drag ...

Either carb will work, as it is all about mixing the fuel. But at lower RPM's and lower air flows I believe smaller is better.  Now 2000 rpm  and up the 38/38 should be best...
« Last Edit: Friday, March 26, 2004, 01:50:42 AM by Whitfield »

Offline ZUKIMON

• Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
Heck, Bill Elliott went over 200 MPH with a 390 cfm carb at, I think, Daytona?

I have a great wife. ;)

Offline ka4yqi

• Quite, but watching
  • Zukaholic
Doy you have that carb on yet and working. I interested it trying one on one of the sammy's here.
Steve Arrington
Carrollton, Ga

Offline ZUKIMON

• Krew Krawlers
  • Krew Krawlers
Who you asking?

I have a great wife. ;)

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • Zuki Guru
Doy you have that carb on yet and working. I interested it trying one on one of the sammy's here.

Been tied up at work.  Also looks like with only two weeks left and Limited garage time, the carb may have to wait.  I've got to throw some wrenches in another direction.  But it is nearly identical to the Sammy so I have no doubts.  Hope to do a small write up soon...   I will try to get some pictures of it while I'm in the shop.

Offline brotherjack

• Zukaholic
  • Jesus is the answer.
Well beside it was a clean 1982 Toyota Starlet (2 door hatch back RWD 1300cc 4 cyl Mt)  The carb was an Asian and looked very similar to the sammy carb. 
Anyone else seen one of these or heard of some one using one?

I wonder if this is the same/similar Asian carb that came on Canadian Sami's (and perhaps other non-U.S. models)?
"...the truth will make you free." John 8:32