Author Topic: Project "Kimera" from Start to Finish (a product of Rock 4X Fabrication)  (Read 33158 times)

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
  • Can't keep the monkey off my back!
I thought it would be cool to have a thread with just the pics from the Kimera Project done by Rock 4X Fabrication. The project took a whole year to complete and the build up thread can be found here if you want to read about how and why it was built. http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,18810.0.html

These pics start from April 26, 2005 and go to April 4th, 2006! This is by far the most detailed Samurai Build ever done.

Mounted Shrock rear bumper and new flares. The bumper was easy, cutting plastic flares, lets just say I have a few plastic burns.

Pass side

Lightning Conversion HACK JOB to the tunnel

More updates,,, Well I cut out Lightnings hack job of flashing Tin, And rivets cleaned it all up. to start installing the tunnel the way it should have been done the 1st time.

There butcher job

After I cleaned it all up

There plate

My Plate

My patch not completly doen welding but you get the idea

There Patch flashing and Rivets along with rattle can white.

Finished Tunnel and Black tar scraped from the tub.(ie) that tar crap sucks to take off

Seat Tie in Hoop Not complete yet I have the tubes just took the pic to soon

Gutted the rest of the interior and cleaned up the firewall area
new b-hoop installed(partial there is more to it but need the pc. I screwed up to finish it.

A few neet little plates we made up to fit where the stock Targa used too sit.
You will see how these are incorporated in a day or so. 1 pc milled and bent (no cut and paaste here LOL
DR. Side

Pass side

A little more last night

lastnight progress

Side shot

OOOOOOOWWWWW LOL

Interior above

Solar trickle charger and spot

As promised todays progress,

Rear section and Top B-hoop pc. finished welding everything up today also.
Side shot

Rear

new Rock joint body center sphere

our first 20 poored cavity molds for the joint

After

A few weld shots
Sorry for the Moto vision

Starting the front axle, it was sand blasted and heat washed, so i have to get it together before we get to much rust back.
new  iner seals

new hi-steer arm and knuckles installed with felts and rings

New  brass sleaves

alxe in and gasket one

spindle in place gasket 2

Backing plate and seal 3

New rotors seal 4 and bearings

rotors installed seal 5

lockout and seal 6 along with new caliper

OK here is the mockup for ride height. This allows the rig to stay low and still have 3.5" uptravel. So it should be pretty stable.

Shock laying in place

A couple more shots now at ride height, Finishing up trac bar brackets and final welds. Mototr and trans back in the chassis.

Here is the pic of the pivot for the arm.

also the pan hard brackets. Made from 1 pc. then scored and bent. Then the edges filled with weld
Before pic frame side and axle side

After

New upper mounts for the Air shocks front and rear
All 8

More pics
Front pan hard bar mount lower

Upper

Upper front shocks/mount

pass side upper

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 09, 2006, 07:15:55 AM by NC Zuk »
I am your flag; I was born on June 14th, 1777.  I am the refuge of the world’s oppressed people. I am the silent sentinel of freedom.

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Ride height next to a stock zuk

And the test and FAIL

A few more pics
 transmission/tcase mount

A few updates.... We found the shock mount was to short so the needed uptravel was not sufficiant enough so out came the torch and off they went. Back to the mill to make another set. reclean frame Again. Pull out the jigsaw and cut fenders.. valo
biger and better. The rears will also do the same,, pics later

peircing through the top of the fender, top hole for cross bar that goes across top of motor to the other shock mount

Rears are done and installed AGAIN.

Tire carier started,,, still have to add perf aluminum to the open sides and front, add the 2 latch mechanisms, along with spin lock holder for the tire itself.
Swung all the way out

Side shot

rear side

Had a Stainless snorkel top made. This will be cut into the top of the cowl on pass side then route through firewall to a truck canister filter and terminate on the motor

Rear carrier latch and saftey latch. Also threaded rod for screw spin mount.

1st layout of panels
Panel left of steering wheel Top PIAA head light hi/low beam , left to Right master light cut out red, driving Y, parking Y, Backup.

Panel right of steering wheel
Top left Ign, Bottom Left Push button, Top righ for NOX

Far left panel, Key entry start. Map lights Y, interior red under dash Y, Rotating Spot Y, LED camera carbon Fber, Air comp Carbon Fiber, 3 blank Carbon Fiber.

More progres, Bob started the front exo while I have been working on the tube doors and new hinges. The hinges should now solve all fitment issues, they are full adjustable.

Body side of hinge, You cant see in the pic but it is radius'd to fit the 1.5" tube that is bolted to it. It also need the pins pressed into it.

Door side of hinge

Ok Now get it out of my thread you Hijacker LOL

I am your flag; I was born on June 14th, 1777.  I am the refuge of the world’s oppressed people. I am the silent sentinel of freedom.

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Well the rig leaves tomorrow night for Rhino liner then goes to paint on wed, so it has been 2 days worth of PUSH... here are some updates.. Next pics will be with color...

Fixed all the major holes in the bed cut out old rust and welded in new metal (YUCK)

Tube bung with flush mount allen head (holds rear tube to floor)

Vertical bars to hold aluminum plates( view through to cockpit counsel)

Above pic,,, the angled tubes are cut then sleeved, then they bolt through the under dash bar, so the cage can be removed.

Aluminum sheet will fill the void with 1 slit for the gear shift Lever (auto trans) also will hold Cigerette recepticales, Mill light and GPS

This is how it ended up the other front hoop above was removed for the sake it was just FN wrong..

Not that we pat ourself's on the back BUT I will now,... I think we did this right LOL Starting the aluminum work on the cage. all mounted with tabs. It will all be removed and DA'd.. Still alot more left but we think it is turning out sweet... Hope you like

And I think I am getting the hang of TIG welding

Solar trickle charge temp mounted and top panel installed.

Well the back rest sheets are in, all that is left is the center councel more pics later

I visited the Body shop tonight.. all primed and wet sanded.. They said the paint get's shot tomorrow.

I was there just as they were removing the tape and paper
mre gate

No more tailgate hinge holes..

the guy was still wet sanding the inner fenders

Gussets welded in all thats left is seat belt tabs, once over with the wire wheel and off to the powdercoaters.

Ok, I stoped tonight its all Black, tomorrow the airbrush guy gets his hands on it...

Nibble on this.. It Is the baddest zuk around

new filler neck

Frame tore down and shot with rubber under coat then color.
you can see the path of the new fuel lines, drilled and tapped the frame to hold the billet line clamps

new head light bezel's

I am holding the lite its not crooked..

Starting to go back together.. Sorry for the crap pics the digi has about had it.

Starting to finish up the doors, need to finish aluminum panels latches and add a little more tube

Start of the rear Exo.. Bob bent it up today and made the bungs ans I tig'd it all together and installed them tonight...

Yes that is styrofoam, I didnt want to scratch it.. yes i am anal

Bunged and counter sunk allen heads

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Bobs working on the rear I have been finishing up doors... still need to do aluminum panels and door latch..

Work on the door latch not finished yet,, and Bob got some tube in on the rear..

New battery location with cool Bracket, and the rear tube finished

Ok latches are done on and adjusted, tube doors are capped..
What you see is the housing I made to fit our latch.. has some adjustability in and out. Up and down is done by the hinge.

Between yesturday and today so far...
All tube work finished, and is being double checked, Front light panel which is polished stainless has been blued with a torch and repositioned in the grill. Front of bumper was reworked to get rid of the giant Reciever Dick look.. It is still usable by way of bottom access. driving light tab is now welded into the grill. And I am finishing up the spinner for the spare tire carrier..

rear of bed rails plugged and tig'd

reworked bumper center

showing off tig welds LOL

new fuel pump, Walboro 255 lph with earl's pre filter and new -6 fittings

Better shot of the fuel lines and billet holders..

Starting the spinner for tire carrier

Ok all the tube work is off at the powdercoaters, and now that I have a computer again (read crash during a repair last wk) heres a few more photos

Rear side panels and old seatbelt holes are now covered with aluminum.. I need to sandblast and DA it yet

trans plumed with the good stuff

Flaming River tilt colum installed

Oh and to reinforce the firewall for where the battery mounts...

Fuel lines finished up with all the fittings, motor,trans, etc

bung tig'd into the oil pan for sending unit also the trans

Electronic sending unit for the elec speedo

Tank and fuel pump plum'd

Ok everything is back from the powder coater except 6 of the panels... sooo

Here is what we got

Cage in Black chrome and the side panels clear coated Wish the camera could realy show the color better..

this realy shows the textured dash

Cool bump stops

Flowmaster

Exhaust runs through the stock location and the Fuel cell is protected on the side by 3/16" skid plate on the sides.

Rear bumper on and lights installed

Pass Side interior panel and new gas inlet housing to adapt down from the 3.5" hole to a normal hose

Top tapped for rollover valve and breather side for vent from tank

Huge Steeing joint on the toy box, the other joint and shaft are on back order

155 output alternator and a Zoops bracket, this is the only company that offers a mount that we could utilize on the vortec motor..Meant for hot rods but hey it fit the bill

Brakelines run up from the frame to the master cylinder
Right front and Main for the Rear

Lighting switches (left) new Gauges and start button (right) We still have to wire them up Bob got the plates cut today for all the gauge panels and LCD monitor done still have to mount. All this has to be removed for wiring and stored.. But had to get pics of them installed LOL

Better shot
Blue led (high beam) 2 green (Turn) and the amber is the computer mill light

Updates... dash and some wiring going on

gauges installed but have to have bezels coated yet

pass side LCD in dash and swivel bracket

External wiring, winshield is on and snorkel

Full view of dash with column tilted down

And last but not least the KIMERA, Lions head and body, Goat in the back, with snake tail..
What you are seeing is what the mill cut into a pc. of aluminum, after I used a JPEG rendering and ran it through our new NC program

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Bobs working on the rear I have been finishing up doors... still need to do aluminum panels and door latch..

Work on the door latch not finished yet,, and Bob got some tube in on the rear..

New battery location with cool Bracket, and the rear tube finished

Ok latches are done on and adjusted, tube doors are capped..
What you see is the housing I made to fit our latch.. has some adjustability in and out. Up and down is done by the hinge.

Between yesturday and today so far...
All tube work finished, and is being double checked, Front light panel which is polished stainless has been blued with a torch and repositioned in the grill. Front of bumper was reworked to get rid of the giant Reciever Dick look.. It is still usable by way of bottom access. driving light tab is now welded into the grill. And I am finishing up the spinner for the spare tire carrier..

rear of bed rails plugged and tig'd

reworked bumper center

showing off tig welds LOL

new fuel pump, Walboro 255 lph with earl's pre filter and new -6 fittings

Better shot of the fuel lines and billet holders..

Starting the spinner for tire carrier

Ok all the tube work is off at the powdercoaters, and now that I have a computer again (read crash during a repair last wk) heres a few more photos

Rear side panels and old seatbelt holes are now covered with aluminum.. I need to sandblast and DA it yet

trans plumed with the good stuff

Flaming River tilt colum installed

Oh and to reinforce the firewall for where the battery mounts...

Fuel lines finished up with all the fittings, motor,trans, etc

bung tig'd into the oil pan for sending unit also the trans

Electronic sending unit for the elec speedo

Tank and fuel pump plum'd

Ok everything is back from the powder coater except 6 of the panels... sooo

Here is what we got

Cage in Black chrome and the side panels clear coated Wish the camera could realy show the color better..

this realy shows the textured dash

Cool bump stops

Flowmaster

Exhaust runs through the stock location and the Fuel cell is protected on the side by 3/16" skid plate on the sides.

Rear bumper on and lights installed

Pass Side interior panel and new gas inlet housing to adapt down from the 3.5" hole to a normal hose

Top tapped for rollover valve and breather side for vent from tank

Huge Steeing joint on the toy box, the other joint and shaft are on back order

155 output alternator and a Zoops bracket, this is the only company that offers a mount that we could utilize on the vortec motor..Meant for hot rods but hey it fit the bill

Brakelines run up from the frame to the master cylinder
Right front and Main for the Rear

Lighting switches (left) new Gauges and start button (right) We still have to wire them up Bob got the plates cut today for all the gauge panels and LCD monitor done still have to mount. All this has to be removed for wiring and stored.. But had to get pics of them installed LOL

Better shot
Blue led (high beam) 2 green (Turn) and the amber is the computer mill light

Updates... dash and some wiring going on

gauges installed but have to have bezels coated yet

pass side LCD in dash and swivel bracket

External wiring, winshield is on and snorkel

Full view of dash with column tilted down

And last but not least the KIMERA, Lions head and body, Goat in the back, with snake tail..
What you are seeing is what the mill cut into a pc. of aluminum, after I used a JPEG rendering and ran it through our new NC program

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Aluminum door sections.. milled still need to pres brake and clear coat to match the other panels so they are not so shiny

Well the wiring has come to the test stage tonight.. we were able to test almost all circuits with great results. Even was able to click the starter to here it move through all the saftey devices. anyway here is a few shots

Backup camera plugged in giving us the signal to the LCD

Lights out in the back 1/2 of the shop all lights on in the interior.
the lights illuminating the floor are switched. Used for hunting mode

Dash shot, we still have to change out the lights in the tach and speedo to the red

With the flash the LCD still has a great picture. need to break out grand theft auto to play in the passenger seat

last shot

I finished the backup lights in the bumper... those PIAA's are bright! A couple more days and the wiring should be finished internaly and all the loose ends starting to be wrapped up. After that front clip time.
May try and start the engine Saturday.

Pass door back on need final adjustments..

Pass side rear inner panel with lighter plug and Kimera Logo

Driver side fuel box and roll over over valve

Old seat belt holes covered and caoted with Crinkle

dr side

How I spent last weekend covering wire

firewall pass threough battery connectors

Winshield all put back together, motor and snorkel

Exo and sliders going back on

rear carrier

Carrier mounted

new rear brakes Toy front rotors with Wilwood dynalite calipers

Whats a hunting rig without weapons

Clamps to hold everything tite

AK47 and mini 14

Pass side grab handle.. pay no attention to the wires I am not done yet..

The handle is fully adjustable to slide in and out. and the handles are removable with the spring loaded push pins..

Top plate solar panel and spot light complete wired and checked

Pass seat mounted and harness will be tonight

Center councel installed over shifter with lighter plugs, still nee to install the GPS unit

Center top Map light installe dhard to see (everything is black)
Bent down

Mounted in holder

Testing the hunting spot light
Light off and down pointing back

up and On

pointed forward and off

Ah OH more sheet metal.. fenders are both back on now. Now the task of trying to fit all the little goodies under the hood... Compressor, air tank, Halon fire supresent, snorkel air intake tube.. Whooo is the realistate going fast. Yes My Jetta has become a work bench.. LOL

Tomorrow the new master cylinder should be in so I can finish the brakes. And I have to add to nut certs to the body where the flare bolts stripped.. >:(

Dry canister mounts

Hard to see but they are slot milled to allow the SS clamp to pass through the mount

Air filter can mounts 4 pc. milled seperatly and slotted so the SS clamp can run through it.
they will be painted and mounted to the inner fenderwell.

Slots for SS clamp

Ok for the snorkel step one, drill hole in cowel and mount snorkel

Step 2 route rubberized flex tub into engine compartment after a hole has been put through firewall, install Ace hardware S/S coupler to end of hose

Step 3 mount brackets to fender and pull S/S clamps through brackets

Step 4 install 3x4 modefied tube into air filter can and secure, then mount intake to Hose vis S/S Ace coupler

Step 5 take last pic dricnk more coffee

Oh ya get the right size S/S clamps for dry tank(moter tube)

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
As promised pics from last night.

lay out of the Driver side fenderwell.. front to rear Halon tank, Compresor, remote P/S canister with filter assembly... That I had to drill a hole through the inner fender and drop through, or it was not going to fit ( It is very Long ) Thank gosh for toy axles and xtra width. Nothing will ever come close to it so it is just as safe as you rnormal oil filter on the motor.

discharge line and nozzel will reroute to clean up the look

front sheet metal installed with Core support

Pull handle for halon disharge

rear extinguisher mounts to tail gate tube. I tried putting it just about every where and it sticks out like a sore thumb, here it is still accesible but out of the way.

Some more progress, P/S lines, cooler and res, are all run except one line that I am missing a  fitting for.(hopefully have it tuesday.)
Dr. seat and harness are in, the dual switch for the camera's is mounted, had to relocate to the dash (wouldnt fit in the box behind the inner rear panel. X-brace over the motor is complete minus paint.
I also ran the motor for about an hr.. checking fluids and for any leaks, got up to temp and ram awsome. It has to be one of the smoothest vortecs i have ever seen. Electric fan works like a clock on @ 189 off @ 182

[/quote]

I am in the middle of doing tax paper work and ran acrosss this original drawing I did for the Kimera rig... Its kind neet to see it go from a scetch to reality.

Well th erig runs and drives, I have a problem with (I think fuel delivery) but not any issue at the moment..  heres some updates as it has been moved out and in the shop on its own.

top Radiator bracket its real cool even though you cant see it F/N lighting

As long as it doesnt snow this weekend I should be able to get some day shots outside

Lights installed and the new Baja Claws are on.. the motor miss is taken care off, WOW scratch -n- the gears..

bumper camera' left inferred, center tail light is the day camera

Well the end is drawing near and it has been a fun filled year with this project. But all good things most come to an end. We shall be heading down the week of April 5 to deliver the rig to its new garage. Here are a few shots of some finishing points..
Oh But I will mention now BUILD 02 is already in the planning stages... STAY TUNED

Bright [censored] head lights
High Beams and mini spots

Low beams and spots

Even the wires get detail

Rear shock brace

Crap pic but it is a skid 3/16" that will get a UHMW coating 3/8" thick (cutting board material is what it looks like)

1" wheel spacers all the way around

Flush mounted Touch switch in center councel for the camera's

Front shock x-over brace powder caoted

power steering Cooler

Plumbed in -AN 8 fittings and S/S Aeroquipt

While I have been fine tuning stuff Bob finished the skid plate...

Tapered bung to hold the main center bolt

What you dont see is the opposite side all the attachment points, to mount it to the truck

Now the last minute cleanup, and details

Spaghetti...

OK this

To this..

Mike started it the other night where I left off and I finished up tonight.
The Anti-Rock sway bar is on and make the truck handle even better.

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
We ordered up some 16 gauge aluminum, Bob cut and tigged it up and I polished his booger welds...

Sorry abou the pics but I dropped the camera and it is Toast

Mike just came through with his camera.. so it will have to do. It is pooring rain like madd

Here is waht i just pulled off of his digi..

Skid Plate

GPS

Old interior Shot

Old hood shot before the mounts

Here the pics from today fooling around

Ok here are some daylight photos with a camera that works

Brake torque

Thanks, Scott & Bob are busy so I'm hijacking the puter. So I'm going to post more pics but if you remember the last time grab a Snickers cause it's going to be a while. By the way the red zuk is mine soon to be a diesel. (post hijack not like that's happened before) They really need to let me out more & quit feeding me Full Throttle. Anyway here are the pics before they notice I'm gone.

Mike

Some video
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/rockfab/?action=view&current=kimera079.flv

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/rockfab/?action=view&current=kimera080.flv

Finished 4 April, 2006!!!!!!!

Offline Verbal

• Driveway Crawler
  • Zukaholic
Wow  [smiley=eek2.gif], was this built for a reason (show or something) or is it actually going to be wheeled?
Alternative Motorsports-Built not Bought-

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Wow  [smiley=eek2.gif], was this built for a reason (show or something) or is it actually going to be wheeled?

It was purpose built for hunting and yes it will be wheeled ;D

Offline Verbal

• Driveway Crawler
  • Zukaholic
It was purpose built for hunting and yes it will be wheeled ;D

:o Its the RV from h3ll, lol. Very impressive, wish i could fab, thats just wild!
Alternative Motorsports-Built not Bought-

Offline Patrick4x4

• Dr. Off-Road
Extremely cool!  8)

Offline bcrewcaptain

• Mr.DIY"Mud is mother natures diarrhea"
  • Zuki Guru
  • Bless those that give us the freedom we have today
wow..just under an hr to read one post....great pics, great rig....awesome!
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor

Offline GOATZUK

• Trail Leader
I like the fab work. Looks like it got a little out of hand though.Not saying it's bad just not my style.
IF I CAN'T BE A GOOD EXAMPLE,THEN I'LL JUST HAVE
TO BE A TERRIBLE WARNING...

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
I like the fab work. Looks like it got a little out of hand though.Not saying it's bad just not my style.

Yea, I can see how someone would either love it or hate it. It was built to the customers specs so that is what matters most. The workmanship is top notch on that thing.

Offline sammi_davis

• On the run
  • Zuki Guru
The workmanship is top notch on that thing.

Scott and Bob make nice stuff ...

I had thought about cutting and pasting all the pics ... that was a lot of right clicking . I am sure Scott will appreciate you doing that for him .
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 09, 2006, 11:24:13 AM by sammi_davis »
Yes I look like Fred

Offline NC Zuk

• Box of Rocks!
  • Zu Keeper
Scott and Bob make nice stuff ...

I had thought about cutting and pasting all the pics ... that was a lot of right clicking . I am sure Scott will appreciate you doing that for him .

LOL! Jetlag and busted ribs won't let me sleep. I had to find something to do ;)

Offline VA88ZUK

• Zuki Guru
Scott and Bob, Outstanding Job on the build.
Art, good work putting into a condensed page of pictures. Hope the ribs get better, just stay out of Sammys like mine and you should be good in no time.

Good work guys.

Patrick... [doorlessred]
2 liter, 6.5's, 4.57's, spooled and locked, YJ's/ML's, ACME hi-steer, full armor, Warn M9000, 33's. and a couple extras for good measure.
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Offline rockrat

• Zuwharrie Addict
Thanx Goes out to ART and the rest of the ZUWHARRIE staff for alowing us to document the build here IT was and is greatly appriciated....
samurai 4:57 and 5:38 gear sets $149.00 + sh

Offline samilitant

• Zukaholic
  • Prov. 29:15 The rod of correction imparts wisdom.
All those pics on one page...ouch on the loading.

Definitely a build for the record books.  Scott, that is terrific work.  I really hope the owner posts pics/video later on of it in action.  It was purpose built for satisfaction and I'm sure it achieved it! 
If you build it and break it, you didn't build it right.