Author Topic: 1996 Geo Tracker Engine light problems  (Read 16743 times)

Offline dawnhulse

Thank you

Offline dawnhulse

I have a problem I replaced the o2 sensoor like the computer said and its still on..When its 20 degrees or below the light starts blinking.It runs terrible it barely goes but then it gets bursts of power.There is a crack in the manifold can this be causing it..I would hate to spend 400.00 changing the exhaust manifold and it not be the problem.

Offline TN Tracker

• Extreme Webwheeler
  • SM4x4ZC
Check for vacuum leaks, on OBD II vehicles a vacuum leak on the intake side will cause a O2 Sensor fault code.

Offline dawnhulse

Check for vacuum leaks, on OBD II vehicles a vacuum leak on the intake side will cause a O2 Sensor fault code.
Can you be more specific maybe on location so i know what and where to check..I am afraid to take it to a shop and get ripped off.Thanks

Offline TN Tracker

• Extreme Webwheeler
  • SM4x4ZC
Check all the hoses in this pic for holes, splits and cracks. Dad replaced $250.00 worth of O2 Sensors on his T-Bird and the problem was actually a loose vacuum hose. This may not be your problem but it's a good place to start.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d801e0227.gif

Offline dawnhulse

Thanks for taking the time getting the pic.. I appreciate it. I will check all of the areas specified...Thanks again...Dawn

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • never under estimate the power of prayer
Merged topics, just to keep all the good information in one place.  ;)

Offline dawnhulse

Merged topics, just to keep all the good information in one place.  ;)
I checked my hoses ( no Cracks or holes )and in doing so I noticed I am missing some stuff according to the diagram you sent. I used the top Picture .I will try to explain this the best I can.The hose that hooks to #4 on diagram only goes straight into the motor.Leaving me with no hose to  attach to #10.Also there is no #10 or #11 and the hose that is supposed to come out underneath  of the canister thing #7 Doesnt exist. So what I am Trying to say is, The whole sections of 10&11 are missing.I bought the truck about 6 months ago so I dont know what the last owner did to it.Thanks for your help ....Dawn

Offline ed-oorklep

• Zuki Wannabe
  • http://www.suzukivitara4x4.nl
I checked my hoses ( no Cracks or holes )and in doing so I noticed I am missing some stuff according to the diagram you sent. I used the top Picture .I will try to explain this the best I can.The hose that hooks to #4 on diagram only goes straight into the motor.Leaving me with no hose to  attach to #10.Also there is no #10 or #11 and the hose that is supposed to come out underneath  of the canister thing #7 Doesnt exist. So what I am Trying to say is, The whole sections of 10&11 are missing.I bought the truck about 6 months ago so I dont know what the last owner did to it.Thanks for your help ....Dawn

Then you'll have the lower set up  ;) in that pic exactly what you say is missing, there's line nr 9 extra but that says only on 3 A/T models (dunno what that is but you probably don't have it).
So the only differences between the upper and lower pic are exactly what you describe as missing  ;)
By the way, did you check the fault code of the check engine light? That might help you further. You get the code by shorting a connector but I don't know exactly how to explain in english  :( But there are people over here who are better to this  ;)
Oh and what engine make and year do you have?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 05:20:51 PM by ed-oorklep »

Offline TN Tracker

• Extreme Webwheeler
  • SM4x4ZC
Yep, I went and checked my '96 and it's the bottom pic. You said the Check Engine Light flashes when it runs poorly. On OBD II vehicles a flashing light indicates a misfire. If it misfires enough it will run too rich and cause a fault code. Have you done a tune-up? It's very hard to diagnose over the internet but I'd change the plugs and wires, have the codes cleared by Autozone and see what happens.

EDIT: Make sure the codes a cleared with a scanner and not just by unhooking the battery.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 15, 2005, 05:45:47 PM by TN Tracker »

Offline dawnhulse

Yep, I went and checked my '96 and it's the bottom pic. You said the Check Engine Light flashes when it runs poorly. On OBD II vehicles a flashing light indicates a misfire. If it misfires enough it will run too rich and cause a fault code. Have you done a tune-up? It's very hard to diagnose over the internet but I'd change the plugs and wires, have the codes cleared by Autozone and see what happens.

EDIT: Make sure the codes a cleared with a scanner and not just by unhooking the battery.
It is funny you mention a tune up because it was running poorly and i did a tune up about 3 months ago,. plugs,rotor ,distributor cap and wires and it ran good about 2 months, then it started running bad again...I love this truck And want to keep it a long time but this is making me crazy I have until october to figure out this check engine light problem because in NY state you cant get a inspection now with the light on....Thanks for all your help...Dawn

Offline TN Tracker

• Extreme Webwheeler
  • SM4x4ZC
I really wish we could help you more. I'd probably get a professional technician to diagnose it. If you need parts like an exhaust manifold or transfercase there are plenty of sources here on the board at very reasonable prices. Fixing it is normally cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Offline Whitfield

• I make NOMEX
  • never under estimate the power of prayer

For some reason, My scanner will not clear the codes.  I have in the past just unhooked the battery for a minuite or two and pressed the brake two or three times.  Then reconnect the battery.  This has worked sucessfully on a 1994 1996 and 1998 Sidekick.

Most o2 sensor codes that I've run across (NON SUZUKI) have either been the result of a poor running truck, (Running rich) giving the o2 a bad reading, or a bad o2 sensor its self. 

So far mine on the Suzuki have only been EGR codes.

Can you give any better descriptioin of the drivability?  Any specific running issues?

Offline dschwab9

• Zuki Guru
    • https://www.facebook.com/derekschwab
What is the code?  I never saw any mention of what trouble code it's giving.  Like someone said though, the flashing light usually indicates a misfire (although I think it may flash for a couple of other things too).  Scan tool should tell you which cylinder is misfiring

You shouldn't unhook the battery to clear it on OBD2, because it clears the memory in the ECM and it has to start the whole learning process all over again.  Codes should only be cleared with a scan tool.

Offline TN Tracker

• Extreme Webwheeler
  • SM4x4ZC
...You shouldn't unhook the battery to clear it on OBD2, because it clears the memory in the ECM and it has to start the whole learning process all over again.  Codes should only be cleared with a scan tool.

Yep, on certain vehicles there are steps you must go through to properly teach the ECU after the battery is disconnected. I helped a friend reprogram his Ford Contour and it's a detailed procedure. I don't know how true it is but his manual said that if done incorrectly the vehicle would not perform to it's full potential. That's why they sell those cigarette lighter plugs with the 9v battery attached.

Offline panewstoo

• Zuki Wannabe
Thanks, TN Tracker, for the pics of the hoses.  I've had a similar problem with my Tracker, also a '96.  Perpetual service engine light that usually goes out when it's warm outside.  Once it gets cold or moist and cold, the light comes on.  At first it coded as an "EGR circuit flow malfunction" now it also has an O2 sensor (pre-cat) malfunction.

Vehicles has always run fine with the exception of wanting to stall (very low idle) when it's restarted and warm.  It's always done this.  I checked the plugs recently after the service engine hasn't gone off for about a year and they're clean and "normal" looking ... not sooted up or anything.  I also cleaned the EGR valve but it wasn't carboned up either. 

Vehicles still runs well, though: I'm stumped but here in PA, the vehicle can pass emissions with less than 5K miles a year.  This year, the light has to be out at inspection time because it'll be more than 5K miles.  I've checked vacuum hoses, but will recheck.  Thanks again !!

Jason

Offline dschwab9

• Zuki Guru
    • https://www.facebook.com/derekschwab
The O2 sensor code is probably actually a bad O2 sensor.  The EGR valve will give a P0400 code.

Offline panewstoo

• Zuki Wannabe
The O2 sensor code is probably actually a bad O2 sensor.  The EGR valve will give a P0400 code.

I've heard that sometimes when there's some other error code, the next error code will often be an 02 trouble code, but in this instance, you're probably right because the vehicle has 80K+ miles on it.  I'll probably also try cleaning out the carbon from inside the head instead of just the sensor itself this spring.  Thanks !!

Offline TN Tracker

• Extreme Webwheeler
  • SM4x4ZC
Thanks, TN Tracker, for the pics of the hoses...

You're welcome. I feel for you folks that have inspections. The OBD II Trackicks are notorious for throwing codes, you hear it all the time. Mine currently has a P0400 code but I'm waiting until it's warmer before pulling the egr and exhaust manifold cause we don't have inspections.

Offline panewstoo

• Zuki Wannabe
You're welcome. I feel for you folks that have inspections. The OBD II Trackicks are notorious for throwing codes, you hear it all the time. Mine currently has a P0400 code but I'm waiting until it's warmer before pulling the egr and exhaust manifold cause we don't have inspections.

You're right about the code: mine is either a P0400 or, I thought, a P0440.  Does that ring a bell?  Apparently we're not the only ones, either.  I used to own a '95 Tracker and the new owner still has it and it's running strong.  No codes, either ....