Author Topic: 1988 Samurai Engine Rebuild Kit Suggestions  (Read 12892 times)

Offline ARGALI

• Trail Leader
  • 1988 Suzuki Samurai
My 1988 Zuk needs an engine rebuild. My Samurai blew a Piston and my mechanic told me that the previous owner rebuilt the Motor with .50 Pistons that don'y have enough clearance for the Motor.

I am into Hi-Perormance and the Zuk has MSD Blaster 2 Hi-Vibration Coil, Centreforce Clutch, Weber Carb etc. The Mechanic thinks I should put stock OEM Standard Pistons back in it instead of .20 or .40.
I want higher horsepower though and am wanting to know what is the Best Rebuild Kit I can get. I don't care about price, I want this Zuk to rock. I don't want to move to a 1.6 or Engine Swap.

I have been looking at the Petroworks and Low Range Rebuild Kits with Flat Top Hi-Compression Pistons.

#1 What is the Best Size of Pistons or a Samurai that will last? Standard, .20 or .40?
#2 Do the Flat Top Hi-Compression Pistons make a difference?
#3 Petroworks or Low Range or Another Company?

Any and all advice and experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and keep on Zukin'!
1988 Suzuki Samurai EFI 1.6L 8V 6" Lift  Snorkel  EFI  34x10.5x15 LTB Super Swampers Thorley Header Flowmaster Muffler Rocky Road Rock Crawler Bumpers 5.12 Diff's MSD Blaster 2 Spartan Lockers

Offline lv2fsh

• Trail Leader
IMHO, the ones that fit the bore.
Remember , when you're up to your a** in alligators, who's idea it was to drain the swamp.

Offline ARGALI

• Trail Leader
  • 1988 Suzuki Samurai
IMHO, the ones that fit the bore.

I think the Motor has been bored out .20. How would he put Standard Pistons in if it is .20 in Size?
Would that even work?
1988 Suzuki Samurai EFI 1.6L 8V 6" Lift  Snorkel  EFI  34x10.5x15 LTB Super Swampers Thorley Header Flowmaster Muffler Rocky Road Rock Crawler Bumpers 5.12 Diff's MSD Blaster 2 Spartan Lockers

Offline Rebel Zuk

• I live here!
Just do the 1.6 EFI engine swap and thank me later.
Morris Mountain ORV Park AL X17
River Rock ORV Park GA X2
Grey Rock ORV Park AL X2
Tellico ORV Park TN/NC X1
Coal Creek ORV Park TN X1

Offline buckshot

• SM4x4ZC
I got my rebuild kit from Hawk Suzuki and had my block bored .20 over and run a weber. Its awesome. Hawk was great to deal with. Mike
Terrorist are getting smarter! They even figured out how to get one of their own elected as our president!!!

Offline outsydthbox

• Zukaholic
Your mechanic says it has a .50 piston?(doesn't that mean it's been bored already?)Yet he says you need to go back to a stock size? (how do you "un-bore" cylinders?)...I THINK YOU NEED A NEW MECHANIC ! ! !

You want HP?...1)Put a SWIFT motor in...OR...2)Turbo charge it...OR...3)Get comparable HP & better torque with more reliability & less hassle, by swapping in a 1.6 & header.  just my 2 cents ;)
Before you judge a man, you must first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you judge him, you'll be a MILE away...AND you'll have his SHOES!

Offline ARGALI

• Trail Leader
  • 1988 Suzuki Samurai
Your mechanic says it has a .50 piston?(doesn't that mean it's been bored already?)Yet he says you need to go back to a stock size? (how do you "un-bore" cylinders?)...I THINK YOU NEED A NEW MECHANIC ! ! !

I don't understand this either. I may be misunderstanding what he said and confusing it with what was written on the top of my Piston (.50). The guy who sold it to me said it was .20 Bored. It Most likely is .20 and the (.50) is what I was refering to. He told me all of this quickly over the phone on Friday and I am meeting with him today to discuss.

You want HP?...1)Put a SWIFT motor in...OR...2)Turbo charge it...OR...3)Get comparable HP & better torque with more reliability & less hassle, by swapping in a 1.6 & header.  just my 2 cents ;)

I found a 1.6L Motor for sale near where I live. The guy is offering the Motor removed and put on my truck with Computer, Wiring Harness and all for $200. Is that a good deal (sounds like it)?

Offline ARGALI

• Trail Leader
  • 1988 Suzuki Samurai

I meant .20 (typo)...Either way, I didn't understand how we would use Standard Size if it is already bored to .20. He may have meant Standard .20 not Hi-Compression Flat Tops. Twin City Speed Shop works exclusively with Race Cars and is known for Hi-Performance work. It was a quick conversation on the phone and I am meeting with him today, will no more later.

Offline Stacker

• Sr. Wheeler
  • Recruiting duty...
I found a 1.6L Motor for sale near where I live. The guy is offering the Motor removed and put on my truck with Computer, Wiring Harness and all for $200. Is that a good deal (sounds like it)?

does it run and whats the mileage?  other than that i would have to say thats a sweet deal.
If you play, you pay.

Offline outsydthbox

• Zukaholic
does it run and whats the mileage?  other than that i would have to say thats a sweet deal.

X2
     Even if you had to rebuild in a year or so, (imho) a good cpu & wiring harness is almost worth that much.
But make sure you get EVERYTHING that the wiring harness connects to also
Before you judge a man, you must first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you judge him, you'll be a MILE away...AND you'll have his SHOES!

Offline prowler

• Zukaholic
  • Wheres the Mud?
Just do the 1.6 EFI engine swap and thank me later.

x2 most i ever heard of a 1.3l 8v output without turbo is 100hp. i would do the 1.6L 8v swap and add parts from there. ive heard of 120-130hp out of these engines without turbo. thats the power of a 2.0L 16v but im not too sure about the torque :P
Buckle Up! I Wanna Try Something.

Offline outsydthbox

• Zukaholic
x2 most i ever heard of a 1.3l 8v output without turbo is 100hp. i would do the 1.6L 8v swap and add parts from there. ive heard of 120-130hp out of these engines without turbo. thats the power of a 2.0L 16v but im not too sure about the torque :P

All I know is,( Factory specs on the stock motors) the 8V makes peak torque at lower rpm's than the 16V

Offline jdc215

• I live here!
MY 1.3 IS PRETTY DOPE. what ever you do put a header on it.
I'M No Wizard...

The Beast
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=162681

Every time i wheel i discover a short list of things i can't live with out.

Offline ZUKGRL417

• Locked Up
If ur going overbored then I'd atleast put a good cam in, it will be a completely different motor even in stock trim but I would deffinitely recommend a header if you do and while you are replacing the cam rebuild head and be sure to replace the valve seals!

Offline outsydthbox

• Zukaholic
If ur going overbored then I'd atleast put a good cam in, it will be a completely different motor even in stock trim but I would definitely recommend a header if you do and while you are replacing the cam rebuild head and be sure to replace the valve seals!

I agree with a mild cam, but maybe not in an fi motor. I don't know this first hand but, read it on this board from a few different people that have tried it, and had bad results. Do your own research and see what you want to do. :)

Offline ZUKGRL417

• Locked Up
Didn't he say he had a weber carb? Camming a carbed motor is a little easier than a fi motor, the fi computer probably can't compensate for the cam without some kind of reprogramming. With the carb you can make your own adjustments

Offline outsydthbox

• Zukaholic
Didn't he say he had a weber carb? Camming a carbed motor is a little easier than a fi motor, the fi computer probably can't compensate for the cam without some kind of reprogramming. With the carb you can make your own adjustments

Hey ZUKGRL,
     I think that was BUCKSHOT that mentioned the weber...ARGALI sayed... "motor, harness & cpu"...
that's cool though. I read so many, sometimes I get mixed up about who sayed what, & where... ;) (what?)

Offline 'Dmitriy Kuts'

My 1.3 rebuilt motor gives 103hps at 7000rpms. But the work involved in that motor is another story.

1) Header and good exhaust (2" and no cat, if possible)
2) Hi-comp pistons
3) Ported intake and exhaust (this is my head http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,100572.msg1034039.html#msg1034039 )
4) Put in the exhaust valves from 1.6 8v engine
5) Put in mid range perfomance cam
6) K&N air
7) Add also MSD wires and ignition box to your HV Blaster Coil 2, like the StreetFire 5520, it is more than enough for 1.3L engine
8) Retune your WEBER carb after all this done

Simple on paper but actually a lot of work involved.

After all this done, considerring your WEBER, you should have minimum 100 hps.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 02:10:49 PM by 'Dmitriy Kuts' »

Offline outsydthbox

• Zukaholic
Hey 'Dmitriy,
    Very nice port work. Did you do the work yourself? Looks professional ;)

Offline 'Dmitriy Kuts'

Hey 'Dmitriy,
    Very nice port work. Did you do the work yourself? Looks professional ;)

Thanks.
 Yes, I did it myself in my garage using 9 different 'pobidit metal' bores with  Bosch dark-blue drill and Makita perforator and then sandpaper with drill. I'm not a real professional, just like to work with cars and Sammie's engine is very simple to work with. But anyway, I wouldn't dare to touch my 1997 S6 2.2 L5 turbo engine.